Harry Caterick or Howard Kendall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kendall (1st time round) was my era as a young lad and i dont think those times will ever be matched by the club.

It was our most successful period ever so i'd have to go for him over Caterick.

I watched the Cat's teams win 2 league titles and 1 FA Cup. The 69-70 team was without a doubt the best English club team I have ever seen. I would. however have to say that in my opinion HK mk.1 was the better manager, the cat was managing the Mersey millionaires, bankrolled by John Moores, he could go out and sign the best players available. HK did not have quite the same financial backing.

Also I could never forgive the cat for breaking up the 69-70 team far too early.

I watched the Cat's teams win 2 league titles and 1 FA Cup. The 69-70 team was without a doubt the best English club team I have ever seen. I would. however have to say that in my opinion HK mk.1 was the better manager, the cat was managing the Mersey millionaires, bankrolled by John Moores, he could go out and sign the best players available. HK did not have quite the same financial backing.

Also I could never forgive the cat for breaking up the 69-70 team far too early.
The week that killed that team was the cup semi against the dark side and losing to Panaithnakos in the European cup last eight. Oh what might have been but we managed to lose the semi to a very poor Liverpool side and we were only a couple of games away from a European cup final at Wembley.

Kendall,based only on the fact that in the early 60's we were the Man City/Chelsea of English football (take your pick) and Catterick had first choice of the best players that came available.Kendall built his teams with Peter Reid, Andy Gray,Paul Power,Kevin Langley types.

Last edited:

Kendall,based only on the fact that in the early 60's we were the Man City/Chelsea of English football (take your pick) and Catterick had first choice of the best players that came available.Kendall built his teams with Peter Reid, Andy Gray,Paul Power,Kevin Langley types.

Actually that is a good point. Some of the bargains Kendall picked up were insane.

Kendall. Catterick was a great manager but his failure to accidentally run Shankly over / drown him in the Mersey / infect him with anthrax should not be forgotten.

Catterick because he built 2 title winning teams, 1963 & 1970.

Although HK was a legend for us too. Just looking at it objectively. HK won more, but Catterick had us at the top for a longer period.

True this. Although I was witness to the Kendall years, I have a feeling that the Catterick era was somehow even more magical. As you point out, Catterick built two championship winning sides (and had them competing at the top for a decade). Hard to argue with that.

Catterick before my time but Kendall seems like the pick - shaped a truly formidable side from a real rag-tag collection of players. Catterick was more working with thoroughbreds as far as I can tell.

The Dome's latter stints don't do much for his legacy but no one holds that against him. The move to Bilbao, though, seems really weird in hindsight. I think at the time everyone just nodded their head and said it was down to the Europe ban. Bilbao though? Great, great club, but they were on their knees at the time and we were champions...

The concensus seems to be that the 1970 team was the best whereas Kendall was the better manager......I agree.

...I think the question relates to the best Manager as opposed to whether the 1970 team was better than that of the mid-80s. Colin Harvey always says that the mid-80s side (which he coached) wouldn't be capable of living with the 1970 side and I agree. That 1970 side was very special, but I loved the spirit of that mid-80s crew.
Anyway, regardless of who were the best side, I would plump with Kendal being the best boss. Its true that Catterick built more than one side, but he also had great riches at his disposal. John Moore's brilliantly steered us through a period when we were known as the Merseyside Millionaires. Kendal brought in the likes of Sheedy, Bracewell and Van den Hauwe to form the backbone of a team that not only conquered this country, but brought us a European trophy. The Catt also gets a negative for selling Bally.
Both great Everton managers though.
HC style of football was amazing that 1969/70 team was just pure football from front to the back - HC problem was he let 2 players go far to early Bobby Collins and Alan Ball { the Ginger curly one best box to box scoring midfielder you will ever see!} He used a lot of youth players too it was a nice blend - he also snapped up HK from under the nose of Bill Shankley so that set up another legacy for me they were both great Managers!

Catterick or Kendall ? Good question. They were very different types of men.

Kendall was more "in your face" but Catterick was a quiet winner. I think Catterick just shades it though. Gut reaction, I reckon Harry would have more success with today's squad than Howard would.

On the subject of Mr Kendall....

Bdk4BxJCYAEee5R.jpg:large

I'm too young to comment on The Cat. However, it's gotta be Kendall surely?

The fact, we were able to sign World Cup winner and man of the match in the final tells you all you need to know about the resources we had at the time.

Can't believe we sold Bally when he was 26 and we were rich, ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.