hardest journies supporting everton away from home.

• Thread starter trainspotting - karl.thornhill@gmail.com
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trainspotting - karl.thornhill@gmail.com

With norwich coming on saturday, it is one of the 10 longest away trips the club can face. Takes about 4hr 15-30mins without breaks from liverpool. very tough on the A14 going back as it is a pretty dull road once you get passed cambridge. easy to fall asleep. did ipswich years ago and didnt get back till 4am in the morning. Would hate it if Lowestoft became a football league club - have money, ambition and large non league grounds - as that would probably mean our longest away trip in the country at over 5hrs.

Advise if your going to east anglia take a coach or train it :) if your getting a lift give love to the driver as its a real toughy to do in a day.

go to work 6am - 2pm.

come home shower change get in car to ipswich.

2.30pm-7pm with break

7.45pm kick off

everton win 1-0 :)

get to car around 10pm. traffic not great get on the a14 by 10.30pm. 4hr 30min journey ahead. break smart thing to do. got home at 4am. slept for 4 hours in work for 10am-6pm shift. hardest thing for me was keeping my eyes open after leaving cambridge going through northamptonshire on dark narrow a roads.

those were the days when i was a student working and supporting everton.

Hardest journeys supporting Everton?

Barnes Travel to any away in the late 80s early 90s. Even if the away game was Anfield...
Still traumatised to this day.

Plymouth was always tough. I hate the North East games as well because the trains are a nightmare. Norwich on Saturday won't be too bad for me. Getting a direct train to London and then a direct to Norwich from there. I can just get my head down.

Bedford Town in the 66 FA Cup in a clapped out old minibus......it took forever,or it seemed like that.Norwich in the 70s too.

Last edited:
With norwich coming on saturday, it is one of the 10 longest away trips the club can face. Takes about 4hr 15-30mins without breaks from liverpool. very tough on the A14 going back as it is a pretty dull road once you get passed cambridge. easy to fall asleep. did ipswich years ago and didnt get back till 4am in the morning. Would hate it if Lowestoft became a football league club - have money, ambition and large non league grounds - as that would probably mean our longest away trip in the country at over 5hrs.

Advise if your going to east anglia take a coach or train it :) if your getting a lift give love to the driver as its a real toughy to do in a day.

Used to live in Northants, the A14 is a horror. Accidents on it almost every day.

Bolton New Years Day - abandoned at half time (1-1, Peter Reid injured for Wanderers). Only 4 games survived the big freeze - took 3 hours to slide home.

Sunderland FA Cup 79 - freezing cold 5 hour train journey crammed into one carriage with no rolling stock available. Lost 2-1. Lousy journey, lousy game.

I went to Nuremberg and back on a coach in 2007! Not bad for £100. Match ticket was something like £13, dead cheap.

Coach left St Georges Hall, 3pm Wednesday afternoon night before the game.
Drove all the way down to Dover, caught the 11pm ferry to Calais.
Then drove all through the night, arriving in Nuremberg at 12noon the day of the game.
Massive party in the centre of Nuremberg, then coach to the ground. Big win for the Mighty Blues!;)
Then return journey (coach broke down for a few hours in the snow in Belgium on the Friday morning lol), eventually getting dropped off outside Lime Street at 10pm on the Friday night.

Then down to Chelsea on the Sunday for an away league game....

Must be mad.lol

I need to get to aways, such a shame all my mates are kopites.

Don't let that stop you mate. I knew nobody when I started going the aways regularly 10 years ago, but you end up seeing the same faces all the time and make good friends. I go on the official coaches. I know they're not for everyone, some people like to booze and it's a bit more rowdy on Happy Als and Barry Murrays etc. but I made some good mates purely from going on the officials. To the point that we now make sure we get seats together for aways when they go on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.