2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was fine yesterday. But some fans have made their minds up about his performance before every game.

This, bonkers how some ingrained some are.

Played a part in the goal and created our best chance to Keane from a set play - tidy in possession, we controlled most of the game which you don't do if you don't control the centre of the park.

Even thinking back to Newcastle, he regained possession really well and set us on our way for the winner - he's not a number 10, and he's certainly not one in a flat 442.

Ideally he needs a spell out the team but as Ancelotti knows, he's currently our best, fit centre midfielder. If the choice is him or Delph or Schneirderlin, it's him all day.

Played alright yesterday however I expect much much more for his price tag. We got our pants pulled down by Swansea.

Price+Cost+45m are trending in this thread.

That's the crux of the issue why so many fans look for the negative in every performance and fans need to move away from it, we overburden and dwell like no other on transfer fee - as we did with Fellaini and Lukaku.

That's the crux of the issue why so many fans look for the negative in every performance and fans need to move away from it, we overburden and dwell like no other on transfer fee - as we did with Fellaini and Lukaku.

Hard to move away from it. He’s our record signing, an obscene 45/50m (depending on what reports you believe) and he offers nothing. You’d expect some fight, some nice touches, a flash of inspiration now and again but we get nothing. Granted it’s not his fault we paid so much for him but surely it’s not unreasonable to expect more as well.

I’d say there’s a counter argument though that part of our problems as a club is that the fan base can be appeased by what is effectively the bare minimum. ‘He worked hard’ hey was quite tidy in possession’ ‘he created a few chances’ ‘he tracked back a bit’. Sayings along those types of themes are what I’d expect from any central midfielder at any level of football. They are not however good enough for a team aspiring to mix it in the European places in the most difficult league in the world. It shouldn’t be a pleasant surprise when Siggurdson puts in the bare minimum for us. All of that is the norm, that should be what a bad performance looks like for him, we should be saying ‘he was poor today as he didn’t control the game’ ‘he was poor today as he only created a few chances’ ‘he was poor today as he didn’t threaten from outside the box as much as he normally does’, not ‘he was good today as he was tidy in possession’.

We need more, we should expect more, and we should demand more, regardless of price tag.

Whoever is stepping out for Everton whatever they cost should be being held to the highest standards.

We need to stop indulging centrebacks who can’t play out from the back, we need to stop worshipping full backs who can’t cross a ball or play a pass, we need to stop saying that midfielders who are too slow or just doing the bare minimum are ok, and we need to stop pretending that strikers who score a few goals but don’t do anything else are good enough for us.

Fortunately someone had the good sense to write it on the club badge so we didn’t forget it.

Hard to move away from it. He’s our record signing, an obscene 45/50m (depending on what reports you believe) and he offers nothing. You’d expect some fight, some nice touches, a flash of inspiration now and again but we get nothing. Granted it’s not his fault we paid so much for him but surely it’s not unreasonable to expect more as well.

"a flash of inspiration now and again but we get nothing"

He scored 13 league goals last season - a fair few of them that "flash of inspiration now".

Why is it hard to move away from it? How much we paid for Klaassen, Tosun, Walcott etc, even Mina so far - all considered, he's represented a better return than a lot in that side.

Bernard earns more money than him every week (significantly more if factor in signing on fee), we're not going to hold it against him when he has a bad game are we?

This, bonkers how some ingrained some are.

Played a part in the goal and created our best chance to Keane from a set play - tidy in possession, we controlled most of the game which you don't do if you don't control the centre of the park.

Even thinking back to Newcastle, he regained possession really well and set us on our way for the winner - he's not a number 10, and he's certainly not one in a flat 442.

Ideally he needs a spell out the team but as Ancelotti knows, he's currently our best, fit centre midfielder. If the choice is him or Delph or Schneirderlin, it's him all day.

He was very poor at Anfield. His cost really doesn't help in this regard either, nor does the expectation we were buying a player who could dictate the play for us. I don't ever remember him doing that at any stage in his career.

He has good technique, and a reasonable eye for a first time forward pass. He also works quite hard, gets into position ok and contributes a bit defensively. Yesterday he looked really fired up and played well.

We are not going to go from a perennial mid table side to a top 4 side in 1 year. There will be people in the squad that remain so in the sort term, perhaps the medium term and eventually get moved out. I put Sigurdsson in that bracket really. If Gomes returns as he was before, and Gbamin is the player we hope he is (also factor in Holgate and potentially Davies continuing to improve in that area) he will then be 5th choice. However in the time that takes to happen he remains an option for us.

That being said, if someone tomorrow came in and said we'd give you, for example 20 million pounds for him, I do think we would have to seriously look at it. I am doubtful that will happen.

I’d say there’s a counter argument though that part of our problems as a club is that the fan base can be appeased by what is effectively the bare minimum. ‘He worked hard’ hey was quite tidy in possession’ ‘he created a few chances’ ‘he tracked back a bit’. Sayings along those types of themes are what I’d expect from any central midfielder at any level of football. They are not however good enough for a team aspiring to mix it in the European places in the most difficult league in the world. It shouldn’t be a pleasant surprise when Siggurdson puts in the bare minimum for us. All of that is the norm, that should be what a bad performance looks like for him, we should be saying ‘he was poor today as he didn’t control the game’ ‘he was poor today as he only created a few chances’ ‘he was poor today as he didn’t threaten from outside the box as much as he normally does’, not ‘he was good today as he was tidy in possession’.

We need more, we should expect more, and we should demand more, regardless of price tag.

Whoever is stepping out for Everton whatever they cost should be being held to the highest standards.

We need to stop indulging centrebacks who can’t play out from the back, we need to stop worshipping full backs who can’t cross a ball or play a pass, we need to stop saying that midfielders who are too slow or just doing the bare minimum are ok, and we need to stop pretending that strikers who score a few goals but don’t do anything else are good enough for us.

Fortunately someone had the good sense to write it on the club badge so we didn’t forget it.
WOW; What Mr Domingo said...all of it!!!

The question is though, what do we do while we travel from point A to point B. There's little doubt we want to be a top team and if we were he would get nowhere near that team. A month ago we were a side in the bottom 3. There is a tactical question about how we utilise players along the journey from improving.

My own view is he's a bad number 10, and currently that number 10 position is almost redundant. I had said some weeks previous I think he could be ok in central midfield. He's certainly been better since moving there.

From all players, not have that view dictated by this;

He was very poor at Anfield. His cost really doesn't help in this regard either, nor does the expectation we were buying a player who could dictate the play for us. I don't ever remember him doing that at any stage in his career.

He has good technique, and a reasonable eye for a first time forward pass. He also works quite hard, gets into position ok and contributes a bit defensively. Yesterday he looked really fired up and played well.

We are not going to go from a perennial mid table side to a top 4 side in 1 year. There will be people in the squad that remain so in the sort term, perhaps the medium term and eventually get moved out. I put Sigurdsson in that bracket really. If Gomes returns as he was before, and Gbamin is the player we hope he is (also factor in Holgate and potentially Davies continuing to improve in that area) he will then be 5th choice. However in the time that takes to happen he remains an option for us.

That being said, if someone tomorrow came in and said we'd give you, for example 20 million pounds for him, I do think we would have to seriously look at it. I am doubtful that will happen.

Fair point (apart from the absolute nonsense on him becoming 5th choice behind Holgate) but we paid £10m for Delph which was considered a 'bargain'

"a flash of inspiration now and again but we get nothing"

He scored 13 league goals last season - a fair few of them that "flash of inspiration now".

Why is it hard to move away from it? How much we paid for Klaassen, Tosun, Walcott etc, even Mina so far - all considered, he's represented a better return than a lot in that side.

Bernard earns more money than him every week (significantly more if factor in signing on fee), we're not going to hold it against him when he has a bad game are we?

Leicester and Southampton aside I’d hardly call his goals flashes of inspiration. And regardless of last season, this season he has been absolutely abject. It’s not for nothing that the crowd are on his back. The fact he’s represented a better return than the others you mention just goes to show how absolutely inadequate our player recruitment has been since Moshiri took over. As for Bernard, just compare the 2 performances yesterday. Bernard was our best player.

From all players, not have that view dictated by this;

Fair point (apart from the absolute nonsense on him becoming 5th choice behind Holgate) but we paid £10m for Delph which was considered a 'bargain'

I think Holgate will be a better midfielder than CB. He's 23 currently so you would anticipate some improvement. I don't believe an argument can be said for Holgate being better currently, but perhaps over the next 18 months or so that may be a natural development?

I am not too hung up on Holgate per se. The aim of Brands will be to ensure we have 4 better CM's than Sigurdsson over the next 18 months. If it's not Holgate it will need to be a player we have brought in.

Status
Not open for further replies.