2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can see if you read back the point has been made countless times that he set up two gilt-edged chances for Richarlison.
Also Sig made an amazing run on goal, totally lost all marking, but Rich had the ball and never played him in for a one on one. Sig went mad, but really the problem today was Richarlison. But we won, so it's fine.

I was a bit disappointed in him today, lost a lot of 2nd balls and shoes ld have dropped 10yards deeper to. Help the midfield. For everything said on here Watford are a decent team.

Does Silva have him doing that because that's what he wants or because that's what Sigurdsson is best at? Whatever it is he's contributing far too little when he doesn't get a goal. All his creativity this season is set pieces.

I think thats where Silva wants him, support forward behind DCL/Kean.

If he drops into CM then hes not going to be effective defensively compared to say Gbamin and would look like another Gomes as hes not got the pace to go box to box.

My view is that were going to be looking at Reinier (the brazilian) or another young player to rotate with him + a box to box player so we can go 433.

Would be a complete midfIeld then.

Sigurdsson i think will come more to the fore once Kean is starting...we can judge him in Dec/Jan.

He runs his socks off when we don’t have the ball. No question of that, but he never runs with the ball.

Everything is one touch with him. Great when it creates something, but often to no effect. Just wish he’d take a 2nd touch occasionally, drive into space, commit defenders while making a decision.

Not seen a replay yet, but Bernard put him in on the edge of the box. Looked like he had a free shot, he passed it into DCL?? who had 2 markers on him.

Can’t see him being 1st choice when everyone is fit.

Sigurdsson needs to play in a 4-3-3 like he did at Swansea & has done in the past for Iceland.

He took Iceland to two major international tournaments as a CM/DM, and is more than capable of playing there.

The gifs above are from one his last games for Iceland as a defensive midfielder not too long ago.

He finished that match with over 80 passes attempted & 100 touches. Personally I feel like he controlled the game too much, and should've taken more shots.

So why does he not get more involved on the ball for us? I personally believe @paulbefc is on the money in regards to his lack of involvement on the ball

Clearly Silva has relinquished his creative responsibilities in our buildup play in exchange prioritizing his end product instead. This is to compensate for the fact that Calvert-Lewin is not a reliable goal scorer, and only plays because of tactics not his goal scoring prowess.

After all DCL has only scored 5 goals with his feet in 80 PL matches. This might explain why you are seeing Sigurdsson further up the pitch, because Silva views Sigurdsson as his main goal threat not our striker.

Hopefully this will change with Kean upfront, who I suspect will have similar if not better results with Sigurdsson than Wilfried Bony did, who so far is by far the best striking partner Gylfi has played with in the Premier League. Sadly that is over 5 years ago and they only played together for 4 months before Bony was sold to City.

Bony's significance to not only Sigurdsson but the entire Swansea team cannot be understated. He unlocked the entire front fours ability to create goals.

If Gylfi doesn't shoot then he passes to Bony, if Bony isn't open he passes to Dyer, Montero or Routledge who can all either go for goal or lay it off back to Sigurdsson or to Bony.

Kean will be Sigurdsson's new & improved Bony. Taller, faster & stronger with better finishing, heading & decision making.

It's not hard to see the video above & imagine that being Kean instead of Bony. His introduction will get the best out of Sigurdsson, Richarlison & Bernard as well.

In the video you can see there are always enough options for the front four to make. This is what our players should be capable of doing except much, much better.

Not only this but Sigurdsson had a better understanding with his fullback than any of our wingers besides Walcott, which is why I'd also like to see Digne & Coleman overlapping more frequently & linking up with Sigurdsson similar to how Olsson would overlap. I'm sure Digne has more than good enough finishing.

Exciting times ahead for Everton, and it all hangs on how good the Sigurdsson/Kean partnership becomes.

Sigurdsson needs to play in a 4-3-3 like he did at Swansea & has done in the past for Iceland.

He took Iceland to two major international tournaments as a CM/DM, and is more than capable of playing there.

The gifs above are from one his last games for Iceland as a defensive midfielder not too long ago.

He finished that match with over 80 passes attempted & 100 touches. Personally I feel like he controlled the game too much, and should've taken more shots.

So why does he not get more involved on the ball for us? I personally believe @paulbefc is on the money in regards to his lack of involvement on the ball

Clearly Silva has relinquished his creative responsibilities in our buildup play in exchange prioritizing his end product instead. This is to compensate for the fact that Calvert-Lewin is not a reliable goal scorer, and only plays because of tactics not his goal scoring prowess.

After all DCL has only scored 5 goals with his feet in 80 PL matches. This might explain why you are seeing Sigurdsson further up the pitch, because Silva views Sigurdsson as his main goal threat not our striker.

Hopefully this will change with Kean upfront, who I suspect will have similar if not better results with Sigurdsson than Wilfried Bony did, who so far is by far the best striking partner Gylfi has played with in the Premier League. Sadly that is over 5 years ago and they only played together for 4 months before Bony was sold to City.

Bony's significance to not only Sigurdsson but the entire Swansea team cannot be understated. He unlocked the entire front fours ability to create goals.

If Gylfi doesn't shoot then he passes to Bony, if Bony isn't open he passes to Dyer, Montero or Routledge who can all either go for goal or lay it off back to Sigurdsson or to Bony.

Kean will be Sigurdsson's new & improved Bony. Taller, faster & stronger with better finishing, heading & decision making.

It's not hard to see the video above & imagine that being Kean instead of Bony. His introduction will get the best out of Sigurdsson, Richarlison & Bernard as well.

In the video you can see there are always enough options for the front four to make. This is what our players should be capable of doing except much, much better.

Not only this but Sigurdsson had a better understanding with his fullback than any of our wingers besides Walcott, which is why I'd also like to see Digne & Coleman overlapping more frequently & linking up with Sigurdsson similar to how Olsson would overlap. I'm sure Digne has more than good enough finishing.

Exciting times ahead for Everton, and it all hangs on how good the Sigurdsson/Kean partnership becomes.

Welcome back

Status
Not open for further replies.