2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2nd half was another example of why we need more from his position.

We were overrun in midfield and couldn't keep the ball. He runs about, closes players down but doesn't get on the ball, doesn't keep it. Hence we get put under pressure.

The last couple of minutes when he kept it and ran to the corner flag is what you want a player in his position to do but not to run the clock down.

The 2nd half was another example of why we need more from his position.

We were overrun in midfield and couldn't keep the ball. He runs about, closes players down but doesn't get on the ball, doesn't keep it. Hence we get put under pressure.

The last couple of minutes when he kept it and ran to the corner flag is what you want a player in his position to do but not to run the clock down.

Your gripe is with Gomes and Gbamin, who dwelt on and gave the ball away continuously from about half an hour in. It doesn't look to me like this is the job Sigurdsson is given in the 4-2-3-1. He's much closer to the front 3 than the midfield (there's an average position chart from Palace going around showing that he was higher up the park than DCL). Not far off being a second striker. He's clearly asked to press as high as the striker and is probably pushed that high because we don't have a goalscorer in that position.

Your gripe is with Gomes and Gbamin, who dwelt on and gave the ball away continuously from about half an hour in. It doesn't look to me like this is the job Sigurdsson is given in the 4-2-3-1. He's much closer to the front 3 than the midfield (there's an average position chart from Palace going around showing that he was higher up the park than DCL). Not far off being a second striker. He's clearly asked to press as high as the striker and is probably pushed that high because we don't have a goalscorer in that position.

If we had signed Doucoure i think Sigurdsson would be rotated.

Was anonymous for 90% of the game.

He seems to be pushing really high making runs off DCL. That left the center of the midfield absolutely bare. Cant play every ball up the flanks

Crap, glad we didn’t
As for gylfi, time to get benched and try a different approach. It’s tedious now watching him go missing

Thats why we went for doucoure i think...2 physical players in Gbamin and Doucoure next to Gomes. I dont think Gomes is soft either.

Wouldnt surprise me if we were in for a similar type of midfielder to ease Sigurdsson out gradually.

Thats why we went for doucoure i think...2 physical players in Gbamin and Doucoure next to Gomes. I dont think Gomes is soft either.

Wouldnt surprise me if we were in for a similar type of midfielder to ease Sigurdsson out gradually.

Don’t disagree with theory, but do with that player. Better out there for much cheaper

Criticize him all you want, but ripping him for not holding on the ball is just stupid. That's like ripping on Gomes for holding it too long and producing nothing with it. It's just different styles.

If we had signed Doucoure i think Sigurdsson would be rotated.

Was anonymous for 90% of the game.

I mean one half of that is pure speculation and the other false.

He's set Richarlison up for two huge chances that really should be our second and third goals there and showed signs of gaining sharpness. He could be moved deeper by Silva so he could get some sideways passes and a few more tackles in, but people would quickly move on to find something else to slate him for.

It's definitely the right time to get as many digs in as hard as we can though, as he's clearly not 100% yet and neither are the rest of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.