2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gana was great at what he did, wasn't he?

Personally my favorite player during his tenure. Wish him the best.

That said he was limited to that which he is great at.

I think we can improve on some of his deficiencies with what we have, but replacing what he is great at isn't on the roster.
Gana is literally impossible to replace. But if you sit down Sigurdsson and still play Gomes, unless you are moving him higher up the pitch, you have the same problems. If you move him higher and play say Delph and Schneiderlin, you now have different problems. To me, Gomes is the much bigger challenge to play with. He almost has to be a free roaming player. Sigurdsson would be just as effective at the ride side with the way Coleman plays if you want to take him out of midfield.

Where’s all this ‘technically superb’ stuff coming from? His first touch isn’t even great. Bernard Digne and Gomes are all fat better technicians than him. He’s good at set pieces, at through balls and can hit a decent shot with either foot. Technically superb though? Please. Half the time he has to put all his effort into just retaining the ball because his first touch or complete lack of pace has put him under pressure.

A static player in a game that more and more is about pace and power. Might have been good in a mid table Serie A team in the early 90s. Certainly not good enough for the premier league today.

Isn’t taking great set pieces, through balls & long shots with either foot kinda showing superb technique though?

But then you could say pass 7 times to a player woefully out of form and only 3 times to our main striker on the pitch. Isn’t really right whichever way you look at it.
I agree, it doesn't tell you much. DCL had like 12 passes to him the entire game and only got 2 touches in the box. Interestingly enough, he got WAY more passes to him against Villa than he did against anyone else. He received 3 passes against Watford. 3. But Sigurdsson only got 7 against Watford because he was playing as a second striker, so these things have to be understood within context.

I also recognize Richy is out of form, but that's the side Gylfi was playing on. Marco had him WAY over to the right both deeper to help with building out of the back and overloading that side to work with Coleman and Richarlison. I mean, the guy sprung Richy for what should've been a PEN, played Coleman through wide open, made some pretty nice smart passes to get Richy out in the open, a couple that turned into shots - not good ones, but shots nonetheless, he was pretty good playing deeper. Got a lot more touches, too. We created little as a team in the first half, yet he was clearly disproportionately responsible for what was created.

Conversely, Bernard had 5 forward passes the entire game and completed 3. Does that mean he wasn't any good? Maybe. Is he a bad player? Of course not. But he got the ball just as much as Sigurdsson did and did much less than what Siggy did with it. But for some reason Siggy gets killed for it. Just seems like a double standard.

I agree, it doesn't tell you much. DCL had like 12 passes to him the entire game and only got 2 touches in the box. Interestingly enough, he got WAY more passes to him against Villa than he did against anyone else. He received 3 passes against Watford. 3. But Sigurdsson only got 7 against Watford because he was playing as a second striker, so these things have to be understood within context.

I also recognize Richy is out of form, but that's the side Gylfi was playing on. Marco had him WAY over to the right both deeper to help with building out of the back and overloading that side to work with Coleman and Richarlison. I mean, the guy sprung Richy for what should've been a PEN, played Coleman through wide open, made some pretty nice smart passes to get Richy out in the open, a couple that turned into shots - not good ones, but shots nonetheless, he was pretty good playing deeper. Got a lot more touches, too. We created little as a team in the first half, yet he was clearly disproportionately responsible for what was created.

Conversely, Bernard had 5 forward passes the entire game and completed 3. Does that mean he wasn't any good? Maybe. Is he a bad player? Of course not. But he got the ball just as much as Sigurdsson did and did much less than what Siggy did with it. But for some reason Siggy gets killed for it. Just seems like a double standard.

I like Gylfi but he’s definitely playing within himself at the minute. No excuse really with no tournament over the Summer. If he was fast he’d be one of the best players in the league.

Wow

So much bullshit in 2 small paragraphs.

Utterly amazing

Put him on ignore, I thought it would interrupt flow but he chats so much crap you can't even tell you are missing anything apart from when someone insults him, hence why I knew who you were on about haha.

I like Gylfi but he’s definitely playing within himself at the minute. No excuse really with no tournament over the Summer. If he was fast he’d be one of the best players in the league.
Could never work out whether that phrase means not arsed or he has fooled us at times by playing well

It's ABSOLUTELY ARROGANT, PATRONIZING, and completely DESERVED. And I almost guarantee accurate in this particular instance in every way.

Because it was in response to this comment: "Because this guy is a troll and pretends stats are everything like we are playing Top Trumps."

And having been to Liverpool and met plenty a scouser, you are correct, they would share their opinions, but surely wouldn't start in on anyone like that unless they wanted to get their heads beat in. Because like MOST decent humans, they have an element of respect for each other. Much like you'd find in most places like my hometown and several other working class cities in America. Which is why people in Liverpool in my experience were wonderful, decent, hard working people.

Got any stats to back that up?
And OF COURSE the stats don't. They are just part of the reality, but certainly worth considering if they seem to tell a particular story.

Dude, I'm from Pittsburgh. EVERYONE is up front. And it's great. But you walk up to someone and call them a troll, my guess is you aren't going to like the response. Which I would assume just like you, I would never do. My guess is that this poster wouldn't do it either, but thank goodness for keyboards and the interwebs.

Maybe I wouldn't call you a troll in a conversation but I'd certainly still disagree with you about Sigurdsson. Who knows, maybe you could show your coaches badges in person too.

Passing it 7 times to a player who shouldn’t be on the pitch because he is totally utterly goosed isn’t great either.
The biggest problem is Richarlison's position. Passing it to a guy hugging the touchline repeatedly isn't exactly the type of penetrating play you want from and attacking midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.