2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
We wont buy another 10 while Silva is manager, he doesnt use a 10.

I'm not sure I quite understand this statement. I think I know what you and others mean, but what do you call that deeper pivots guy that sits in front of two CMs/DMs or sits in front of a box to box player and a true sitting 6? Is that an 8? It's not a deeper lying playmaker - as playmaker seems to imply they dribble and control the ball a lot.

My point is that what are the qualities of the most advanced center mid in Silva's 4-3-3 two variants? They may sit deeper than a 10, but they need good passing range and be able to distribute the ball quickly to the wings to transition quickly on the counter. That's Silva's bread and butter - medium block, pressure with certain triggers, quick counters. When we HAVE the ball, that player needs to help building up from the back by trying to spring the fullbacks. That's Silva's ideal way to move up the field with possession.

Is Siggy not a good person for that type of role? I know the main drawback is that he isn't near the box as often to score, but isn't he about the best in the league at scoring from outside the box? I just believe with his work rate and defensive abilities - he has some - he'd be pretty good in that role. Think Gomes would be too, although he likes to sit on the ball a bit. But in many cases, that's FINE. Very different players for very different setups.

I'm not sure I quite understand this statement. I think I know what you and others mean, but what do you call that deeper pivots guy that sits in front of two CMs/DMs or sits in front of a box to box player and a true sitting 6? Is that an 8? It's not a deeper lying playmaker - as playmaker seems to imply they dribble and control the ball a lot.

My point is that what are the qualities of the most advanced center mid in Silva's 4-3-3 two variants? They may sit deeper than a 10, but they need good passing range and be able to distribute the ball quickly to the wings to transition quickly on the counter. That's Silva's bread and butter - medium block, pressure with certain triggers, quick counters. When we HAVE the ball, that player needs to help building up from the back by trying to spring the fullbacks. That's Silva's ideal way to move up the field with possession.

Is Siggy not a good person for that type of role? I know the main drawback is that he isn't near the box as often to score, but isn't he about the best in the league at scoring from outside the box? I just believe with his work rate and defensive abilities - he has some - he'd be pretty good in that role. Think Gomes would be too, although he likes to sit on the ball a bit. But in many cases, that's FINE. Very different players for very different setups.

I call it the quarterback.

But its a 6.

Iceland is used cos hes here, but I maintain that ideally Silva if possible wouldnt use a 10.

My bad, you apparently liked a post that said that. You've said he's ineffective on the ball. You've said he's the worst business in our history along with several other things. But yeah, football must be for you and not for me.
he is very lazy. Not in work rate of course his pressing and tactical positioning really is top class however he shows no desire to get on the ball and help dictate a game.

Arsenal had virtually no midfield on Sunday and he didn’t at any point show desire to get the ball and make things happen.

Granted he got on the end of things and should of scored just please don’t try and make out he is some sort of playmaking creative genius. Remove set pieces and James MacArthur is more creative.

You can interpret this as me saying he isn’t a good player if you want as I’m not.

He is a very good hardworking player with end product however he just doesn’t seem to want to be involved in the play and is basically a second striker.

I call it the quarterback.

But its a 6.

Iceland is used cos hes here, but I maintain that ideally Silva if possible wouldnt use a 10.
We are talking about different players. I'm talking about the most offensive oriented mid in his 4-3-3.
The Cleverly or Will Hughes role.

The 6 is a defensive mid. Silva plays either a sitting 6 - think Carvalho - in front of two CMs, usually one box to box, the other more of a playmaker - or twin CMs/DMs. Siggy would never play as a 6. Silva THOUGHT Schneiderlin was going to be his William Carvalho. His interviews when he was hired stated that specifically.

he is very lazy. Not in work rate of course his pressing and tactical positioning really is top class however he shows no desire to get on the ball and help dictate a game.

Arsenal had virtually no midfield on Sunday and he didn’t at any point show desire to get the ball and make things happen.

Granted he got on the end of things and should of scored just please don’t try and make out he is some sort of playmaking creative genius. Remove set pieces and James MacArthur is more creative.

You can interpret this as me saying he isn’t a good player if you want as I’m not.

He is a very good hardworking player with end product however he just doesn’t seem to want to be involved in the play and is basically a second striker.
The definition of lazy is "unwilling to work or be active". You are simply misusing the word.

You, like many others here, think the only way to play in that area of the pitch is like Arteta. You are arguing against his style. He created chances, made key passes, got into dangerous positions.

But he's lazy because he doesn't sit on it. Because he moves it almost immediately. Are you seriously suggesting that he's afraid of having the ball? Please tell me you aren't. Because that would literally be the dumbest thing ever suggested on the board. Certainly up there with Gana doesn't pass forwards, Keane is slow, etc.

We are talking about different players. I'm talking about the most offensive oriented mid in his 4-3-3.
The Cleverly or Will Hughes role.

The 6 is a defensive mid. Silva plays either a sitting 6 - think Carvalho - in front of two CMs, usually one box to box, the other more of a playmaker - or twin CMs/DMs. Siggy would never play as a 6. Silva THOUGHT Schneiderlin was going to be his William Carvalho. His interviews when he was hired stated that specifically.

No playmaker.

A sitting 6 who can spray it and 2 up and down 8s.

The definition of lazy is "unwilling to work or be active". You are simply misusing the word.

You, like many others here, think the only way to play in that area of the pitch is like Arteta. You are arguing against his style. He created chances, made key passes, got into dangerous positions.

But he's lazy because he doesn't sit on it. Because he moves it almost immediately. Are you seriously suggesting that he's afraid of having the ball? Please tell me you aren't. Because that would literally be the dumbest thing ever suggested on the board. Certainly up there with Gana doesn't pass forwards, Keane is slow, etc.
You do not an will not ever understand the game of football

You misunderstand this point time and again, no matter how many times and different ways it's presented to you. People have concerns over the fact that Sigurdsson can, at times, fail to impose himself on games. I don't care whether that's his style, or how he wants to play the game, it is very often detrimental to us and so will be commented on. There are lots of things he's good at, and I think he's been one of our best players this year on an individual level, but it's a very valid criticism that he doesn't do enough to get on the ball and make things happen when we need him to.

Status
Not open for further replies.