2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ross Barkley's 16 assists in his last 70 starts for Everton is more than Sigurdsson (£45m), Bolasie (£28m), Walcott (£24m), Klaassen (£24m), Schneiderlin (£24m), Tosun (£27m) Richarlison (£40m) have managed combined in 160 starts.
What an absolutely bs stat to measure Gylfi against. Let’s handpick players in here to to make him look worse. Should we play the same with goals?

Richarlison and Gylfi Sigurdsson have combined for 19 goals in their last 40 games. The same amount Ross Barkley scored in his last 150 games for Everton.

Or how about, in their last 150 games for Everton, Richarlison, Lukaku, and Sig have combined for 73 goals. Ross Barkley in the same amount of games scored 20.

And who did Ross have to play off of to get those assists? Oh yeah, Lukaku.

What an absolutely bs stat to measure Gylfi against. Let’s handpick players in here to to make him look worse. Should we play the same with goals?

Richarlison and Gylfi Sigurdsson have combined for 19 goals in their last 40 games. The same amount Ross Barkley scored in his last 150 games for Everton.

Or how about, in their last 150 games for Everton, Richarlison, Lukaku, and Sig have combined for 73 goals. Ross Barkley in the same amount of games scored 20.

Barkley's assists for Lukaku were actually rather low. Famously so - it was used as a stick to beat him with in fact; that they couldn't play well together.

I assume you just mean they have 19 goals combined in that time? They certainly haven't combined for them. Sorry if you were just making up a stat and i'm too stupid to see it.

He's 8th in the league with 2 key passes per game, while also having the least number of passes per game for a player in the top 10 (25). I think that second stat is probably why he has so many detractors. He's also played more minutes than anyone on the list except for Salah and he's tied with a bunch of players for second in the league with 0.3 through balls per match. All of this to say, I understand why he frustrates some but I still think he's a key player in our attack and I'm happy he's an Everton player.

If he was able to get a rest every once in a while and play with an actual #9, I think he would perform even better. All stats above came from WhoScored if anyone was interested.

He's 8th in the league with 2 key passes per game, while also having the least number of passes per game for a player in the top 10 (25). I think that second stat is probably why he has so many detractors. He's also played more minutes than anyone on the list except for Salah and he's tied with a bunch of players for second in the league with 0.3 through balls per match. All of this to say, I understand why he frustrates some but I still think he's a key player in our attack and I'm happy he's an Everton player.

If he was able to get a rest every once in a while and play with an actual #9, I think he would perform even better. All stats above came from WhoScored if anyone was interested.

Well I was, but that last sentence has just put paid to that.

Yes but conversely Gylfi will knock a five yard nothing ball, someone will smash it in from 25 yards and he'll be credited with an assist.

It evens out. It's pointless looking at one-off instances, because it ignores the many, many situations where he'll lose the ball, get an easy pass intercepted and so on.

Mate ... he’s knocking a 5 yard ball and someone smashes it in from 25 yards? The only person that scored from distance apart from siggy himself has been digne... once

Little bit different. Bernard came from the Ukrainian league, hadn’t played since March and has never played in such a hectic winter schedule before whilst also not being able to speak English in his first year living in England.

He’d be in the same boat as Fred then... his massive fee is why he gets beaten

Or because he's 21

Or because he's been played out of position and still looked good

Or because he actually looks worth the money we spent

Or because that useless Icelandic fraud has him starved of service.

Those could be possible explanations.

R9 does not look like a 45m player , be honest . His decision making is poor, he is hot headed , dives and whinges a lot , doesn’t pass, loses the ball a lot . He scored s decent amount of goals but saying he’s been played out of position and still looks good isn’t right, he in no way looks like a striker , take away say 4 of his goals that he scored from the wing you really think his goal return makes him look good? You think his link up play does? Hold up play? No it doesn’t

Ross Barkley's 16 assists in his last 70 starts for Everton is more than Sigurdsson (£45m), Bolasie (£28m), Walcott (£24m), Klaassen (£24m), Schneiderlin (£24m), Tosun (£27m) Richarlison (£40m) have managed combined in 160 starts.

All that proves is that a worse player can get better stats than a good one because he actually has a top striker in the team where as the other doesn’t actually have a natural striker , never mind a top one like lukaku

Sigurdsson good player not worth £45 million which isn't his fault so shouldn't be beaten with that stick. However I sometimes feel it makes him almost undroppable as Silva has to justify why. Stats can be used to fit any agenda so I think people shouldn't get to excited either way. I have seen him a lot in games this year and my personal judgment is that I would take him out of the firing line. In the summer a decision needs to be taken either get players in that suits a system that you get the best out of him or sell him. Personally I would sell him because I think we need more players to build round Sigurdsson than we do to tweak the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.