Group E: Belgium, Slovakia, Romania, Ukraine

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
1716201529690.png

Starting to think Belgium could be strong for this. Only problem is they are due to come up against France in the QF which is tough one

Starting to think Belgium could be strong for this. Only problem is they are due to come up against France in the QF which is tough one

Think they'll struggle.

Feel they've got a bit of "Arsenal" syndrome, very solid side, can never quite get over the finish line.

But the sides getting older. The main core of previous tournaments Lukaku (31), De Bruyne (32, will be 33 part way through), Carrasco (30), Witsel (35), Vertonghen (37) & Meunier (32) is a really old core and you'd imagine the will be all starting... Courtois was left out due to injury.

Some promising talent in Doku & Openda... but then there's Wout Faes.

The draw has been very kind to them, but France in QF, will be their demise.

Can't see Romania, Slovakia or Ukraine giving them many problems.

Feel they've got a bit of "Arsenal" syndrome, very solid side, can never quite get over the finish line.
For all their talent I've always thought they play way too narrow and seemed vulenerable on the flanks. They also play at a slow pace.

All their wide players aren't really wide players and like to pinch in. All those shots on goal were easy saves for Timmy. It almost cost them the game against the USA in the WC and it wasn't as if that was a juggernaut USA side they were meh.

Their only wide player (who provided width) I can think of was Mirallas but prob wasn't good enough to start and/or permainjured.

For all their talent I've always thought they play way too narrow and seemed vulenerable on the flanks. They also play at a slow pace.

All their wide players aren't really wide players and like to pinch in. All those shots on goal were easy saves for Timmy. It almost cost them the game against the USA in the WC and it wasn't as if that was a juggernaut USA side they were meh.

Their only wide player (who provided width) I can think of was Mirallas but prob wasn't good enough to start and/or permainjured.

I think if in 2014/2018 they'd have had a player like Doku, they'd have probably fared a little better.

That game in Brazil was in my opinion a Howard wondershow more than anything, I say that completely unbias too, as I felt he'd bee well past his best at that stage.

Always feels like there were just so many egos in the side, which included Wilmots, nor necessarily playing for the team but themselves.

I think as this teak eventually fades, they'll remain in the conversation for the biggest "wasted" era, alongside England of 2000-2006.

I think if in 2014/2018 they'd have had a player like Doku, they'd have probably fared a little better.

That game in Brazil was in my opinion a Howard wondershow more than anything, I say that completely unbias too, as I felt he'd bee well past his best at that stage.

Always feels like there were just so many egos in the side, which included Wilmots, nor necessarily playing for the team but themselves.

I think as this teak eventually fades, they'll remain in the conversation for the biggest "wasted" era, alongside England of 2000-2006.
Definitely had that feeling about them in Euro 2016, they were way less than the sum of their parts

Definitely had that feeling about them in Euro 2016, they were way less than the sum of their parts

That 2016 Belgian side should have done far better.

Amongst the team Courtois, Alderweield, Vermaelen, Nainggolan Vertonghen, Witsel, De Bruyne, Fellaini, Hazard, Lukaku, Mertens, Meunier, Carrasco.

The fact they kept that core for 2018, was another huge wasted chance. But understandable as they lost to a very good French side in the Semi, after beating Brazil. But they should have wok Euro2016.

That 2016 Belgian side should have done far better.

Amongst the team Courtois, Alderweield, Vermaelen, Nainggolan Vertonghen, Witsel, De Bruyne, Fellaini, Hazard, Lukaku, Mertens, Meunier, Carrasco.

The fact they kept that core for 2018, was another huge wasted chance. But understandable as they lost to a very good French side in the Semi, after beating Brazil. But they should have wok Euro2016.
Yeah I think in 18 they were just unlucky to come up against the French

More of a waste even, England's ''golden generation'' was also France, Brazil, Italy etc.'s

When Belgium had their best squad, none of the other top nations were at their best

More of a waste even, England's ''golden generation'' was also France, Brazil, Italy etc.'s

When Belgium had their best squad, none of the other top nations were at their best

Correct. Mbappe only emerged for 2018, he didn't make a French appearance until 2017.

I honestly don't think any sides have came through since that Belgian side either except France and maybe England.

Even though Italy won Euro2020, the rode the crest of 30 games unbeaten and won.

Belgium had a huge chance there. But for France, this Euros would be wide open for me.

Yeah I think in 18 they were just unlucky to come up against the French
They were just hard countered. Deschamps had both the pieces and the correct tactics to lock down a very good attacking side in the de facto final, and just enough firepower to crack a solid defense and avoid the penalty lottery.