Greatest hits of Mr. Trail and Mr. Buckley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

San Bruno

Player Valuation: £225k
I am leaving aside the mainstream reporters, daily newspapers, TV people and all the objective reporting types...Someone else can do that.

Toffeeweb has two great columnists that I enjoy reading - week in, week out. They talk about the game from my perspective and do so quite expertly IMHO. I respect them especially since they pay out of their own pocket to see the games, not stroll for free with a professional media pass. (I think - anyway.)

They report. People agree or disagree. The calendar turns, the match reports disappear and we all move on to a new week. Month after month, etc.

But, uh, at the risk of sounding a bit cheerleaderish (and I don't know either of these two), what would you people say are some of their bright spots? Maybe one breaks it down for you? Maybe one is a better writer? Maybe one explains your viewpoint better ...

To me, I don't read them for "breaking news.", ala CNN. I read them for pleasure and to put the match in some perspective - if I want another opinion on what I saw.

I particularly enjoy Trail's use of "Ste" and "Gary" in his reports. I feel as though they'd be incomplete without some reference to them. I think it's the style b/c it seems so idiosyncratic...You don't get this kind of writing in America...I don't see it in the online Echo stories either. I mean - this was near the top of the latest match report...

"I bought Ste a can of Coke which he consequently dropped, piercing a small hole in the can which he then went on to unwittingly soak Gary and I with, before realizing what he was doing, holding the can upwards to then drench the jukebox before throwing the can in the bin."

The first time I read it I was a bit startled. No one I know writes like that. Now, I just think it's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.