Greatest Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luton FA cup semi final 85
4-4 FA cup vs RS they couldn't beat us that nIght.

That team of the mid-eighties was fantastic. Two League Championships, one FA Cup win and an ECWC Victory. If only the English clubs had not been banned from Europe during our 1984/85 and 1986/87 League Championship wins. We were the best team in Europe and would have gone on to win the European Cup twice in my opinion. Also Howard Kendall would never have left and I feel sure he would have built a dynasty similar to what Sir Alex Ferguson did at Manchester United.

One game that always sticks in my mind is the 6 - 0 thashing of West Ham in Walter Smith's first season. Kevin Campbell got a hat-trick after being handed the "player of the month" award before the game. It was our final home game of the season.

It was an amazing result because we'd been largely poor all season, not having scored at GP until November iirc, and West Ham were riding high at the time - this result was sandwiched between two good wins for them. For some reason everything clicked for us that day - all the players were on top form and everything we did turned out right.

A mention to the West Ham fans who started cheering imaginary goals late in the second half.

Absolutely! I always felt Everton brought out the best of Kevin Campbell. He was never as prolific at Arsenal as he was at Everton.

I have been an Evertonian a long time, but i have never felt so in awe of an Everton side as i was of that one after that game. Every single one of my senses had overloaded at the end, fabulous, fabulous night! What a team, what a manager, what a crowd!
As an 8 year old the 1963 Charity Shield against Manu with the Goodison crowd singing, 'We want 5, we want 5', has stayed with me since then.Moechengladbach 1970 European cup was up there but the Bayern semi final was something else. That game announced us on the European stage.
Great games. I have been an Evertonian a long time too. I remember the 1962/63 Championship season very well, especially the striking partnership of Roy Vernon and Alex Young. I was 10 years old at the time of the 1963 Charity Shield match so I am right with you!

How about Stoke 0 Everton 2 in January 1984 in the FA Cup 3rd round?
I was there on that day and something changed at Stoke on that cold afternoon. For me, this win signalled the start of great things to come; and they did!

Absolutely! I always felt Everton brought out the best of Kevin Campbell. He was never as prolific at Arsenal as he was at Everton.

I think Campbell scored 10 goals in 12 games in the title run in for Arsenal when he won it with them. Then that summer they bought Ian Wright and he was always playing second fiddle to him after that, either as a second striker or even out wide on the left so thats why he didn't score so many for them and eventually left.

Liverpool 0 everton 4
1964 or 5 at Anfield can't remember for sure things were always a bit hazy during the sixties :pint2:

I was there on that day and something changed at Stoke on that cold afternoon. For me, this win signalled the start of great things to come; and they did![/QUOTE
Absolutely! This was the game when Howard Kendall told the players to look at all the blue and white scarves and told the players not to let those loyal fans down. Thankfully they didn’t and as you say it was the start of great things to come.

Liverpool 0 everton 4
1964 or 5 at Anfield can't remember for sure things were always a bit hazy during the sixties :pint2:

It was September 1964, the start of the 1964/65 season. Everton won 4-0 curtsy of goals by Colin Harvey, Johnny Morrissey, Fred Pickering and Derek Temple. We also completed the double over Liverpool by beating them 2-1 at Goodison in April 1965 with Johnny Morrissey and Derek Temple scoring again. Liverpool must have rued the day they allowed Morrissey to leave them and join Everton because he had a fantastic career with the Blues. As did Kevin Sheedy twenty years later, another player who was languishing in Liverpool’s reserves before having a great career with Everton.

Last edited:

Spurs away in 1985, won 2-1 and effectively put them out of the two horse race for the title. We had a huge following at White Hart Lane for a midweek game which turned out to be Spurs biggest gate of the season,even more than the Arsenal fixture.

My personal favourite remains the 4-1 win against Sunderland in 85.

It didn’t mean a great deal but the quality of play was unreal.

I remember it well. It was three days after we had beaten Tottenham (who were our closest challengers at the time) 2-1 at White Hart Lane with goals from Andy Gray and Trevor Steven. Gray scored another brace when we took Sunderland apart, the other goals coming from Graeme Sharp and Trevor Steven. Great days!

Spurs away in 1985, won 2-1 and effectively put them out of the two horse race for the title. We had a huge following at White Hart Lane for a midweek game which turned out to be Spurs biggest gate of the season,even more than the Arsenal fixture.

Yes and apart from Andy Gray and Trevor Steven’s goals, Neville Southall made an out of this world save from Mark Falco. It was a crucial save because it came after Graham Roberts had scored for Spurs reducing a two goal deficit to 2-1.

2007/08 remains one of my favorite seasons in recent times because of 3 main games, the 3-1 win over Larissa in the opening group game, highlighted by the build up and finish for Osman's goal, the 7-1 demolition of Sunderland when it seemed like we were gonna score from every attack and the 2-0 Fiorentina game when we absolutely battered them for 120 mins only to lose on pens, the atmosphere that night is something I will never forget

I was there on that day and something changed at Stoke on that cold afternoon. For me, this win signalled the start of great things to come; and they did!

That match to me was the one that started the glory days of the eighties. Howard Kendall made sure the players were aware of the fantastic support they had and told the players not to let them down and to their credit they didn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.