Greatest British post war manager BBC poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. SAF
2. Busby
3. Shankly
4. Clough
5. Paisley

Kendall belongs at 6th or 7th for me. I personally respect managers more when they arrive to manage nothing teams and turn them into title winners as opposed to someone who takes over an already winning side and improves them. Also think Catterick belongs in the top 10 because Harry had better win percentage points Shankly, Revie, Nicholson or Busby stretching across the entire decade where they all overlapped.

Last edited:
1. SAF
2. Busby
3. Shankly
4. Clough
5. Paisley

Kendall belongs at 6th or 7th for me. I personally respect managers more when they arrive to manage nothing teams and turn them into title winners as opposed to someone who takes over an already winning side and improves them. Also think Catterick belongs in the top 10 because Harry had better win percentage points Shankly, Revie, Nicholson or Busby stretching across the entire decade where they all overlapped.
Harry is the top manager pointswise for the 60s - nobody got more.
Edit; but that all happened before football was invented in 1992

Last edited:
Harry is the top manager pointswise for the 60s - nobody got more.
Edit; but that all happened before football was invented in 1992

That's what I meant sorry. Think of what an achievement that is considering the managers he was up against. Didn't win as many trophies as the others but his sides were most consistent and well-balanced. Nothing short of a disgrace how he's been erased by the national press.

It’s a ridiculous poll, it should be “After Sir Alex, who is the greatest manager. sAF’s record just at Aberdeen deserves top three in any poll, what he then did an ManU was mind blowing.
Totally agree with you. What he did at Aberdeen was simply amazing. 10 major thropies, including 3 League titles and one european cup speaks for itself.

I'd go for Shankly, Ferguson and Clough in no particular order.

Shankly started the ball rolling for what Liverpool became. He transformed a mediocre second division club into what became a world power (unfortunately). Alex Ferguson's achievements both North and South of the border speak for themselves. He even managed to break the Old Firm domination in Scotland, the last manager to do so.

And I don't think anyone will repeat what Brian Clough did at Forest. Taking a bottom 6 second tier club to double European champions in no time whatsoever, plus plenty of other trophies. Cloughie was a genius but had a touch of madness about him too.

Even though I would have loved Kendall to win, I looked at it as who would you have wanted as Everton manager from that list. It has to be Clough, what a ride that would have been. We were rumoured to have interviewed Clough and Robson, don't know how far the interest went.

No question of the number 1 - Sir Alex Ferguson.
Catterick, Clough and Kendall all up there as they took over moderate squads at best and turned them into champions, unlike Paisley and Dalglish who both inherited teams that were ready made champions.
A special mention for Bill Nicholson, who turned Spurs into the first double winning team of the twentieth century when no team had managed a double for more than 60 years with a team that invented the pass and run style (maybe by learning a few things from the Hungarian side of the early fifties).

Status
Not open for further replies.