Goodison memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
The misses came with me once, she has no interest in football, we were in the front row of lower Bullens it was a freezing November day she did nothing but complain about the cold, it was a game V Bolton and Arteta scored an absolute screamer (got goal of the month I think) watched MOTD that night and you could see her giving it serious limbs after the goal the only time she got moving and stopped complaining all day.

Last edited:
My Dad , a red, took me to Anfield when i was five. My brother is a blue so I think he wanted at least one son following in his footsteps. Up to that point I had only watched footy on TV and greatly enjoyed Everton’s cup win against Watford.

So I sat there and watched Liverpool beat Arsenal. To point out how much of a imbecile and in my own world I can be, I even said to my dad that “I couldn’t hear the commentator” 😂. I felt nothing during that game, little emotion or even the slightest feeling of awe at being at the game.

A while later I went to Goodison to watch Everton play Man Utd with my brother and as soon as I walked up the steps to take my seat a wave of excitement hit me. I looked around Goodison and felt so content and happy. It’s difficult to describe but everything just felt right if you know what I mean.

I have been to many matches but it’s that first game and this overwhelming sense of happy ness always comes back to me as the standout memory.

Siting behind a pair of blonde twin girls for 2 seasons, from 95-97 in Park End.

I was mid-teens, every time we scored I was worried about the crowd seeing my erection.

Luckily it didn't happen too often.

That was me and my brother tbf mate. We both had long blonde hair at the time as we'd moved from Australia due to a new job our Father had so we looked like a pair of surfers (and yes my brothers name was Brad like off Neighbours!)

And yes, we seen your erection every fortnight unfortunately

I was originally an out-of-towner and my mum & dad were never big on football when I was growing up in Yorkshire yet I ended up watching the derby where Wayne Clarke scored on tv and deciding Everton were the team for me.
Fast forward to May ‘89 and my Uncle worked with a guy from Liverpool who got us tickets for the West Ham game at the end of the season as a 10th birthday present for me.
I just remember the brickwork outside of the Bullens Road, thinking it was massive and going up the steps and seeing the pitch for the first time, and looking across at the Main Stand and thinking people were nuts to want to sit in the top balcony!

A bit of an odd one this.
My second visit to Goodison November 23rd 1963. JFK was assassinated the previous evening and nearly fifty thousand people began a minute's silence in his memory just before kick off.
All except one fella in the Park End who'd had one Higsons too many. He belted out "Long live Kruschev". He was almost battered senseless before being dragged out semi conscious by the police.

A bit of an odd one this.
My second visit to Goodison November 23rd 1963. JFK was assassinated the previous evening and nearly fifty thousand people began a minute's silence in his memory just before kick off.
All except one fella in the Park End who'd had one Higsons too many. He belted out "Long live Kruschev". He was almost battered senseless before being dragged out semi conscious by the police.
Was that @davek I wonder?

Haven't seen a lot of games because I live overseas - maybe 10-12 in total (including away games), mostly in the 70's & 90's

Two favourites -

My first game - the opening match of the 1974/75 season vs Derby. Finished 0-0. I was only a wee lad & the score didn't matter that much, it was just incredible to be there. I think that's the season we were on course to win the title & we bottled in the last handful of games. We even beat Derby the eventual winners at the Baseball Ground. Everton 😩

Nov 1977 - Everton 6 Coventry 0

I love all the stories of how non-locals and people with no family connections to Everton end up supporting us

Not going to lie, I don’t want to leave Goodison…

There are so many memories, both good and bad, but for me, a run of the mill league game in March 2014 against Swansea is the most emotional one, as it was the first and last time I went with both my eldest lad and my dad.

My son was just 7 and had been coming to the match with me for a couple of years and desperately wanted to show his granddad what our match routine was. My auld fella played along brilliantly as he didn’t crack on that until ill health stopped him, he’d been a ST holder for donkeys years and first went to GP in 1943!

My dad died last year, and in the same month my ex-wife moved my kids 350 miles away. So I’d give anything to repeat that day!

I went with my (recently sadly passed) Dad and older brother through the 80's. I particularly remember the Luton Championship presentation game in '87.... think it was Paul Wilkinson hobbling around on crutches with his leg in a massive cast? Someone had a birth announced over the PA system at half-time and the ground erupted. Game-wise, he ferocity of crowds back then was boss. Sheer noise. Only amplified by the fact I was a nipper. The attendance would be regularly announced as "30,000" but I've no doubt it was way more closer to 50k back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.