Goodison memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueblood

Player Valuation: £8m
Hi all, ahead of the new season I was thinking about the imminent move from Goodison to Bramley Moore and was reminiscing a bit on some of the highs and lows since having a season ticket in 2000/01 season. I went the game with my dad every week until he died 2 years ago, I take my lad now but he hasn’t experienced the same level of torment and false dawns I’ve seen over the years! I thought a thread where we could share some memories might be a nice thing to do ahead of the penultimate/final season at Goodison, as well as remembering some happier times than we’ve had in the last 2 years! I’ve come up with some categories, feel to add some others or reply with your own favourites in these categories. Only rule is you can’t have the same game in more than one section.

Top 3 performances
  1. Everton 3-0 Arsenal- felt we were on the brink of something special.
  2. Everton 4-0 Manchester City
  3. Everton 1-0 Liverpool- Carsley’s goal
Top 3 atmospheres
  1. Everton 2-0 Fiorentina
  2. Everton 1-0 Bournemouth
  3. Everton 1-0 Man U- Ferguson in 2005
Top 3 goals
  1. Arteta v Fiorentina
  2. Osman v Larissa. Still occasionally watch that on YouTube!
  3. Bit random but Beckford v Chelsea, last game of the season.
Top 3 late winners (or ‘limbs’ as the cool kids call it!)
  1. Radzinski v Southampton
  2. Rooney v Arsenal
  3. Gosling v Liverpool
Top 3 crowd shouts
  1. At half time there was a charity video on the screen with people bouncing a football, the voice over said ‘every time this ball bounces, a child dies of poverty.’ Someone shouted ‘stop bouncing the (expletive) ball then.’
  2. I can’t remember who we were playing but someone shouting ‘do him for pace Pembo’ at Mark Pembridge.
  3. Someone this shouting at Maupay this season ‘you are the slowest man ever to play professional football.’

Newcastle March 1988 my first game, title holders

Newcastle FA Cup 1995 QF

Man U April 2005 for 4th

Carsley derby Liverpool Dec 2004

Ruzemberok 2017 daughter’s first game

An obscure pre season friendly under Marco Silva, the first match I went to with my son and my dad at the same time, and his first game.

Best 3 goals for me at Goodison (been going since 1976/77).
Sharp v Spurs 1982 which you can see on you tube. One of those "did that just really happen?" moments!
A bit of an obscure one this, but Brian Kidd vs Brighton 1979-80. Memory is maybe a bit hazy now, but I recall it being a scissors kick from just inside the penalty area that went like a rocket. A shame it wasn't on TV.
Sheedy's double free kick v Ipswich.
My favourite goal though even if it's not perhaps THE very best is Bob Latchford v Coventry, his hat trick goal on the 6-0 win. I was sat near the front of the old Park end upper stand with my dad and had the perfect view of it! And an honourable mention for the two Andy Gray headers v Sunderland.

Atmospheres, undoubtedly Bayern Munich, Fiorentina is up there, Palace last season. The other "relegation" games (sad to say really) v Wimbledon, Coventry and Bournemouth have to be up there too as well as the Rooney v Arsenal game.

Last seconds winners and limbs - Osman v Portsmouth 2005, Radzinski v Saints and the Jelavic winner v Spurs after we were 1-0 down after 89 mins. Honourable mention for Andy Johnson in the sleet v Arsenal. We seemed to get quite a few of these at Goodison when Moyes was in charge.

Best 3 goals for me at Goodison (been going since 1976/77).
Sharp v Spurs 1982 which you can see on you tube. One of those "did that just really happen?" moments!
A bit of an obscure one this, but Brian Kidd vs Brighton 1979-80. Memory is maybe a bit hazy now, but I recall it being a scissors kick from just inside the penalty area that went like a rocket. A shame it wasn't on TV.
Sheedy's double free kick v Ipswich.
My favourite goal though even if it's not perhaps THE very best is Bob Latchford v Coventry, his hat trick goal on the 6-0 win. I was sat near the front of the old Park end upper stand with my dad and had the perfect view of it! And an honourable mention for the two Andy Gray headers v Sunderland.

Atmospheres, undoubtedly Bayern Munich, Fiorentina is up there, Palace last season. The other "relegation" games (sad to say really) v Wimbledon, Coventry and Bournemouth have to be up there too as well as the Rooney v Arsenal game.

Last seconds winners and limbs - Osman v Portsmouth 2005, Radzinski v Saints and the Jelavic winner v Spurs after we were 1-0 down after 89 mins. Honourable mention for Andy Johnson in the sleet v Arsenal. We seemed to get quite a few of these at Goodison when Moyes was in charge.
I’d forgotten about that Johnson one. The ridiculous hail storm just added to the drama!

Status
Not open for further replies.