Goodison in the 1980s

Status
Not open for further replies.
....not sure if the A-Z half-time scores were still evident down the sides of the ground in the ‘80s. No mobile phones in those days, so the only score updates from other games was via that system.

i suspect the blokes with arms like Popeye had finished carrying the advertising board around the ground by 1980.

....not sure if the A-Z half-time scores were still evident down the sides of the ground in the ‘80s. No mobile phones in those days, so the only score updates from other games was via that system.

i suspect the blokes with arms like Popeye had finished carrying the advertising board around the ground by 1980.
Remover them,adds for wrestling at the stadium wasn't it ?

Paying cash was funny, especially when they gave the gate out later and it was a lot less then actually paid in haha
Many of the players had attendance clauses in their contracts, which meant they would earn extra money if the attendance was over a set amount or better full.

I remember standing in the Street End with very little space, and the attendance would be announced as less than thirty-thousand.

Like many others, I’ve been watching a lot of old footage during the quarantine. Two nights ago I watched a review of the 1987 season, and I watched the Bayern game last night.

It’s interesting to see how little Goodison has changed. There are a few things that crossed my mind thought.

1. it’s such a shame that the club erected the big scoreboard and stand elevations that block out St Luke’s. It really was an incredible feature when it looked to form part of the stadium.

2. Where was the infamous boys-pen situated?

3. Does anyone know the background to the blue wall at the Street end? It was clearly an amendment to the overlapping stand, but looks like it just reduced the area of the lower tier.

There was a telly gantry inside that blue wall at the Park End. Was dead exciting when you got to the game and saw that the little hatch was open as you knew you'd be on telly that weekend.

Another memory of the 80s is when it was raining, loads in the St End used to pile underneath the Upper section to get out of the rain. There was a ledge on the LG that seperated the front and back of the terracing.

I was in the street end that night. The crowd was only just over 10000 with its said 3000 rangers in the park end but there was more than that. Think most blues stayed away because they had a drunken reputation. A rangers lad streaked on the pitch and the coppers manhandled him off. This caused trouble in the park end. Saw a rangers forum were they said there was a big fight in our end which cleared it. But I saw nothing like that although the street end was pretty empty anyway apart from were everyone gathered to sing. When the match ended we were going down the stairs at the back and a few blues at the bottom starting shouting rangers. Caused a bit of a panic until everyone realised they were everton fans messing around. Lived in Scotland road at the time and there was some trouble. Local estates bricking rangers fans on the way back to town. Saw loads of drunken rangers fans and most were middle aged men. 2 coaches on great homer street were attacked and loads of windows smashed. These 2 had been there about 3 days with the rangers fans drinking in local pubs.
Most of the rangers fans who were arrested came from a town called corby in Northamptonshire. Seems that a large group of glaswegians moved there to work in the steel works.
Yes that’s how I remember that night. They threatened to come into the st. end but never did. Think there were a few rs amongst the rangers lads as they all supported each other back then.

You mean the blue wall at the Park End ? I know for a few years fans could stand on the back crush barrier but they covered it with a board for the last few seasons.
I heard it was because of violence under the stand in the 70s
Wasn't it an outcome of a review of ground capacities all across the country under new safety regulations that had been introduced? The reviews were undertaken with crowd control issues in mind as well as normal safety considerations. GP capacity was temporarily cut by around 10,000 until the regulations were fulfilled, and one of the changes that had to be made was the closing off of the back of the Park End terracing.

Status
Not open for further replies.