Goals from our CBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
We must have the lowest number of goals from cb in the league over the last 5 yrs by a mile I reckon.

Bring back Derek Mountfield..

Ever since Lescott left...

We have decent corner takers... Baines can usually put a good one in, Mirallas is usually decent... I think it's more about the lack of sensible movement and/or lack of training that goes into scoring from corners. Can't remember the last time we scored from somebody flicking a corner in and then the ball being powered into the goal. Was Lukaku v the RS our last direct headed goal from a corner?

We also perhaps need to be more aggressive in attacking the ball. Sure we'll give away more fouls, but fouls are given anyway even if you stand near the goalkeeper, so we've notning to lose. Skrtel always manhandles his man but scored nearly 10 goals last season - so it definitely works.

I'll never understand short corners that eventually get passed backwards and possession lost 15 seconds later. If you're not trying to slide the ball through for a runner you're ultimately going to cross it anyway, so just put the damn ball into the danger zone.

I disagree about Baines

His corners have been pretty average this past couple years.

I think McGeady will take a mean corner when he is on the pitch.

.....I think its more about the delivery, surprising when Baines does take a large proportion. Saying that, movement in the box is important. Other teams block markers off, allowing a free run at the ball so its clearly something that should be worked on in training.

they're bought to defend, we buy our striekrs to score the goals. think we should jib in the corners and just take them short all the time, we actually cause a threat that way.

BTW.....it son' just our centre halves who are failing to score at corners.

The attackers aren't faring much better

Lukaku against the RS and Ross with a soft goal against Swansea are the only two corners we converted into goals last season from what I recall.

Or did Lukaku's debut goal at Hammers come from a corner?

Totally agree. We haven't looked dangerous from corners since Hinchcliffe. I remember you could hear the groans of the opposition fans when we got a corner. We also have no-one who really attacks the ball though.
But ignoring corners and RM saying he doesn't pay mych attention to them is a weird one. Defo missing a trick here. Why not spend a few hours a week on set-pieces! We have Baines and Mirallas for direct free-kicks, indirect and corners are embarrassingly poor

Yeah, Tim Cahill never scored from corners or anything.

EDIT: From what I can figure out 16 of his 68 from corners.

Last edited:
BTW.....it son' just our centre halves who are failing to score at corners.

The attackers aren't faring much better

Lukaku against the RS and Ross with a soft goal against Swansea are the only two corners we converted into goals last season from what I recall.

Or did Lukaku's debut goal at Hammers come from a corner?

No good play by kev and lukaku leading up to Roms header

Duffy got one for Yeovil last season - he's a bit more of a beast than the likes of Stones & Jags, so could grab one or 2 if he ever gets a game...

Status
Not open for further replies.