Goalkeeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that why Begovic played far more games last season and Sorensen only played in the FA Cup? Clearly going from January to May playing every cup game shows you're not injured. I'm not really arsed who's first choice. Neither of them are better than Howard, never mind both.

Either way Stockdale (not Stokedale) has played 5 Fulham games this season. How you can categorically say he's better than Howard is ridiculous when he's number 2 to a keeper who's well past it and not as good as Howard anyway.

Cudicini, Paddy Kenny and Huerelio Gomes better than Howard? You're letting your hate of Howard make you talk sh*te mate.

Yup, Sorenson was dropped last season for Begovic, Begovic has now been dropped for Sorenson - who is currently first choice! "only played in the FA Cup", He was picked in the final if i remember correctly. Would be nice to have two (i would prob settle for one) quality keeper.

Its opinions of course,thankfully the likes of Capello etc rate Stockdale like me. I think its pretty evident from his performances what an excellent keeper he is, this season and last - rightly got the international recognition he deserved. Swarzer is a terrific keeper, statistically one of the best, he has been a focal point of one of the meanest defences in the league on average over the last three seasons - Stockdale as well.

Its all about opinions of course, i know a lot rate Howard, i didn't say hes a bad keeper - just average and poor in comparison in quality and consistencey to almost all others in the PL, certainly not good enough for us - i would think if we had a few pound, we would look to improve that situation.

I said Kenny, Gomes, Cudichini (who in his day was better) were borderline decisions, i don't particularly rate them but are about at Howards level, some days better some days worse.

Jeebus...

Not going to pick the list apart, but Vorm's reputation seems to be better than his performances. He makes a lot of pretty-looking saves that better keepers make look routine, and his command of his box is worse than Howard's.

I wouldnt disagree with that, but he has 9 CS this season and 2 peno saves. He suits Swansea style of play. I wouldnt say he was worse then Howard though - but not as good as people make out for certain.

Wasn't there alot of hype about Gilks from Blackpool around this time last year? Utd, Arsenal and co were meant to be after him.
Vorms is an Ok keeper but nothing more. Could be said he looks better than he is because he has that much to do since the team in front of him is a poorish standard?

As for Howard, he has done a good job, but i've never really took to him. Never been able to command his box enough for my liking. Hennessey i would like to see in net for us.

Suppose we have all been spoilt with Big Nev and Martyn.

Vorm's boss like, but I think a lot of the time keepers down the bottom end of the league look better than those at the top.

I think that's because the likes of Swansea and Wigan (Vorm and Al Habsi) give away loads of half chances during the game, giving the keeper more time to get some confidence and look like they're making loads of boss saves. But someone like Petr Cech just basically stands around for half an hour then is expected to make a boss save, from what is generally a clear cut chance, as you don't get half chances against top teams, then stand around for another half an hour and do it again. Giving him less opportunity to make wonder saves and meaning he's got to deal with clear cut chances when he's not done anything else all game. Confidence and rythm.

Does anyone understand me?

Vorm's boss like, but I think a lot of the time keepers down the bottom end of the league look better than those at the top.

I think that's because the likes of Swansea and Wigan (Vorm and Al Habsi) give away loads of half chances during the game, giving the keeper more time to get some confidence and look like they're making loads of boss saves. But someone like Petr Cech just basically stands around for half an hour then is expected to make a boss save, from what is generally a clear cut chance, as you don't get half chances against top teams, then stand around for another half an hour and do it again. Giving him less opportunity to make wonder saves and meaning he's got to deal with clear cut chances when he's not done anything else all game. Confidence and rythm.

I do mate. I do. X

Aye, it's hard to compare.

And unless Cech suddenly goes to Bolton and Vorm goes to United, it will stay that way.

I think Cech has been awfull this season if im honest, certainly hasnt looked world class since that incident with Hunt, but this season has been by far his poorest for me, Chelsea as a whole defensively.

Swansea have kept nine clean sheets in 21, thats some defensive record.

I dont see it mate it, i sometimes leave games going Howard cost us points there - i dont think i ever have gone away thinking the keeper has won us the game there.
Man United FA Cup semi final? Saved 2 pens in the shootout?

Chelsea away in the Cup again? Made a sh*t load of saves in normal time then saved a pen in the shootout?

The only game I can think of that he's directly cost us is Blackburn away at the start of last season.

Of course you don't ever think he's won us the game, because you think Rodwell, Baines or whoever scored our goal(s) did. But if he makes one mistake it's him who's cost us the game. You're being very harsh there.

Man United FA Cup semi final? Saved 2 pens in the shootout?

Chelsea away in the Cup again? Made a sh*t load of saves in normal time then saved a pen in the shootout?

The only game I can think of that he's directly cost us is Blackburn away at the start of last season.

Of course you don't ever think he's won us the game, because you think Rodwell, Baines or whoever scored our goal(s) did. But if he makes one mistake it's him who's cost us the game. You're being very harsh there.

You can state the obvious mate, i havnt forgot any of it, on balance he costs us more points consistently then the odd pen save in the cup - hes not the worse shot stopper in the world, when he doesnt take up a ludicruos postion far out from his goal - which he is inclined to. Thing with Howard is he will generally make one mistake in a game that costs us a goal then pull of a series of hollywood saves - keeper only needs to be bad once - harsh maybe but true. Thats me being kind to him also - his all round game is quite poor tbh.

BTW, your last sentence is you telling me what i think based on your thoughts of what you believe i am thinking, which i think, is way of the mark if im being honest.

You can state the obvious mate, i havnt forgot any of it, on balance he costs us more points consistently then the odd pen save in the cup - hes not the worse shot stopper in the world, when he doesnt take up a ludicruos postion far out from his goal - which he is inclined to. Thing with Howard is he will generally make one mistake in a game that costs us a goal then pull of a series of hollywood saves - keeper only needs to be bad once - harsh maybe but true. Thats me kind to him also - his all round game is quite poor tbh.
Well if I can point out instances when he's won us games and you can't point out incidents where he's cost us points...

The truth is our entire team's sh*te. Vorm, Henessey or whoever else you want would come here and exactly the same would happen to them. Howard is generally good but these 'mistakes' he makes are down to being repeatedly put under pressure all game, and these 'mistakes' would be made by any keeper you can think of.

I can see Howard being our next sale to be honest, he is reliable, and would command a decent fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.