General Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
As in, on the pitch, off the pitch?

Off the pitch, we're hopeful of having a spade in the ground early next year which means we're still on course for the 2022 date for the stadium.

On the pitch, a combination of reckless spending, poor sales (selling our best players) and poor management over the past five years has seen us stagnate.
Until funding is agreed to on paper any forecast isn't worth writing about.

We have been talking about the stadium for years and still have no defined plan to pay for it.

Two years ago it was coming from the council. We've known for a whole year that isn't happening and we still don't have anything to show for it.

This time last year we were going the LCC route. For a variety of reasons that's now not going ahead. In the last few months we've gone - or started - an extensive public consultation and entered the planning stage. We've announced the expected capacity. How is this not progress?

Don't forget to mention last year aswell that it was said we won't be in the new Stadium till atleast 2024

Until funding is agreed to on paper any forecast isn't worth writing about.

We have been talking about the stadium for years and still have no defined plan to pay for it.

Two years ago it was coming from the council. We've known for a whole year that isn't happening and we still don't have anything to show for it.

We haven't known for a year that it wasn't coming from the council? I'm sure it was only this time last year that we confirmed the council plan, wasn't it?

You have to question the practical value of these events, there isn't any.

The meetings that people in the shareholders association can have with Moshiri, on a more limited and infrequent basis, seem to offer far more by way of nuggets of information.

That's the nature of general meetings per se, but I don't think any supporter is encouraged by what is little more than a platitude-ridden round of self-congratulation amongst board members, several of whom have been in situ during our decline and stagnation.

Worryingly this is still the impression of Everton that always comes to mind and explains why even small progress seems so daunting. I can't see any of them ever departing from groupthink in private, departing from the vaunted party line and calling out any of the numerous elephants in the room. They can't because they are all party to mediocrity. We needed a purge at board level from Kenwright down and didn't get it. We now have a fatter board full of individuals with a modest and nondescript business background.

So the stadium financing breaks down as equity (presumably from Moshiri) of £100m, naming rights £50m and £350m debt. Given both West Ham and Tottenham has been unable to secure a name sponsor for their stadiums, I wonder if this will be the key to getting the work started. Otherwise the numbers don’t work, unless there’s a bridging loan from somewhere.

Last edited:
I half feel like people expected the stadium to be unfurled behind a massive curtain or something.
Or, you know, they just wanted to hear how we are meant to be paying for it considering every other stadium project we have had has fallen down at that stage.

But go ahead and be facetious to make your point. We get it, you're happy being a mushroom and giving Chairman Bill his mandatory claps for getting pissed on in the boys' pen and we're daft for having expectations of progress a year on.

Don't forget to mention last year aswell that it was said we won't be in the new Stadium till atleast 2024

I'm confident that never happened.

It was 2021 initially (in 2016). Last year we got told 2022. This year we've been told spade in the ground early next year (all being well - which what more can they guarantee at this stage?) and completion within two years. That's on target.

Status
Not open for further replies.