Gazza at Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't have the right people behind him all acting in self interest rather than what was best for him.
He was going to sign for Man Utd but his dad rang him and said Spuds said they would buy him a house so he should sign for them.
Then his sister rang him and asked for a car off Spurs as well.
United under Ferguson all be it early days would have been a far better move for him.
With family like that what chance did he Have? You are there to help your kids put them first not your own greed .
Never knew that. So sad to read.

My first live match was November 1963 in all that time 57 years Spurs have never won a title so it is safe to say that they would not be my first choice if I wanted to win things.
Also all the players that according to you Ferguson failed with have all won more individually than Spurs as a club in there entire history.

Hahaha, had to check that this was true and it is.

Fantastic.

It would take a younger man than me to remember that detail :D .
I've had to look this up now. Watched highlights on YouTube.
There was a last min penno, and it was blasted over the bar into the St end.

By Beardsley though, not Gazza..

Our pitch looked awful as well.

Haven't read the book mate. What kind of things does it say? I think he's quite severely mentally ill to be fair, although that doesn't excuse certain things like hitting his Mrs.
If he is severely mentally ill then I take every word I wrote back. I think he suffers from depression and was always hyped up, couldn’t relax but that doesn’t really excuse the nonsense he got up to, one trick? he did was absolutely revolting, why it was printed heaven knows., Billy Dean if you want the book I’ll get it to you if you live handy enough.I live in Norris Green.

If he is severely mentally ill then I take every word I wrote back. I think he suffers from depression and was always hyped up, couldn’t relax but that doesn’t really excuse the nonsense he got up to, one trick? he did was absolutely revolting, why it was printed heaven knows., Billy Dean if you want the book I’ll get it to you if you live handy enough.I live in Norris Green.
Thanks mate, I'm in Germany. Bit of a trek lol

I think he had a lot of problems mate IIRC. Not just depression.

A great player, electrifying on his day. Unfortunately his days had disappeared long before he came to Everton. That terrible injury from his own bad tackling (against Forest in the FA Cup?) really goosed him. He's a mess now, and I haven't heard about him for quite a while but I wish him well.
Well said.

Was effectively finished both physically and mentally when he left Rangers. He never came close to the step up in fitness and consistent quality needed on his return to the Premier League.

Everton were yet again, a finished footballer's last big payday.

He didn't have the right people behind him all acting in self interest rather than what was best for him.
He was going to sign for Man Utd but his dad rang him and said Spuds said they would buy him a house so he should sign for them.
Then his sister rang him and asked for a car off Spurs as well.
United under Ferguson all be it early days would have been a far better move for him.
With family like that what chance did he Have? You are there to help your kids put them first not your own greed .

I was going to reply to your post with something like this:

You mean like the way Ferguson,
1) Kept control of Ryan Gigg's personal life and stopped him shagging he's brothers wife after training?
2) Controlled Eric Cantana so well he didn't Kung fu kick a fan in the stands?
3) Controled Rio Ferdinand so well he didn't do a runner from a drugs test that got him a 8 month ban?
4) Kept control of he's own emotions so well that in a dressing room, he didn't throw a boot at he's own player that needed stitches in a facial cut?
5) The same great Sir Alex who caused a big rift in the dressing room when he was insisting that, when current players signed an extension to their contracts, they had to get rid of their current agent and sign up with Ferguson's son who would then get all the commission?
I could go on..........

Also at United i think Ferguson would have bombed him out quickly...i dont think he could be tamed.

One moment in that cup final before his Lazio move i think took him down a bit with his knee...if he hadnt got injured i think hed have been near the very very top.

I was going to reply to your post with something like this:

Also at United i think Ferguson would have bombed him out quickly...i dont think he could be tamed.

One moment in that cup final before his Lazio move i think took him down a bit with his knee...if he hadnt got injured i think hed have been near the very very top.
Maybe so mate but I just think the Spurs decision was a financial one not a football one

I could be wrong but I think I remember him eating a chow mien or something on the bench.almost certain of it one me memories as a kid.

I could be wrong but I think I remember him eating a chow mien or something on the bench.almost certain of it one me memories as a kid.

Got his autograph outisde Goodison after we battered Newcastle one year. The bloke who was ordering the food for the coach on the way home came upto him and gave him 3 choices for his meal on the way home and he said yes, I'll have all 3.

People who think he's over rated probably think David Beckham was world class. I even went to a Tranmere v Chester 0-0 draw in some nothing cup game so I could get a voucher for the Tranmere v Spurs cup game and watch Gazza close up. Brilliant player.

Status
Not open for further replies.