Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a bit of a lesson from Lennon yesterday, youth vs experience, but what a player he is going to be eventually.

Looks like potentially a good player - I have to say, I think its right that refs show a little leniency with younger players - problem is, this needs to be consistent.

Whilst I don't rate Barry, what I feel is undeniable is that he is in the team primarily for his ball distribution. McCarthy is there to press, run, fill in for others who have vacated their position. I see Besic as an upgrade on McCarthy, he can do all of the above and play as well with a decent passing range. Does he have the ability to dictate the tempo of a game from deep with his passing? Maybe but I still would prefer an Alonso or Arteta type in there to really open up those defences who come to sit deep. With Barry's suspension hopefully we will get a view of Besic and McCarthy in tandem again.

I can't understand how you don't rate Barry at all mate. He's a superb player.

McCarthy, similarly, is so much better than you're giving him credit for. I know it's down to opinions but McCarthy and Besic will make a superb partnership.

The thing is is that deep lying playmakers are so hard to find and the good ones are at the big clubs.

Gonalons could maybe the one that I could think of off the top of my head which we'd have a reasonable shout at getting, but I'd rather us give Besic a go than spend £20mil in that area when it's already crowded as it is. We're still desperate for a creative outlet to replace Pienaar.

Barry is our most experienced outfield player, and the example he sets to some of the younger players is (usually) excellent. I sometimes roll my eyes at some of the bookings and in one match it seemed the commentator had forgotten his first name as every other sentence contained "Foulby " Barry, but he set the standards we expect as the norm on Saturday. When somebody pushes their face into yours these days, or "kisses" you on the neck , too often players go down clutching their face like they've been pole axed . We have at least two players who will improve their game if they show the same example as Barry did .

Barry one of the players of the season for me, very consistent this season and MOTM on a few occasions. The stupid fouls annoy the hell out of me. The sending off was probably more down to being overexcited, and the adrenalin of getting at Costa. I am a big fan of Besic and I like McCarthy but don't think they are ready to go on their own without Barry this season, they may prove me wrong against Arsenal but the amount of Responsibility he takes, and the amount of balls from the defence, I dont think the others have that experience yet.

yeah cause life is so black and white eh? I guess you're not one the application of common sense then.

Football isn't life, it's a competition. It should be fair on all accounts. It's absolutely ludicrous that you would suggest otherwise.

What will you say next, "oh let's have referees give foreign players more leniency because they don't understand the rules in this country"?

Absolute rubbish of the highest degree.

You are absolutey correct about Gonalons,
I'd take Cornet and Gaazell ( sic) as well

McCarthy, similarly, is so much better than you're giving him credit for. I know it's down to opinions but McCarthy and Besic will make a superb partnership.

The thing is is that deep lying playmakers are so hard to find and the good ones are at the big clubs.

Gonalons could maybe the one that I could think of off the top of my head which we'd have a reasonable shout at getting, but I'd rather us give Besic a go than spend £20mil in that area when it's already crowded as it is. We're still desperate for a creative outlet to replace Pienaar.

I don't understand those who don't rate Barry. Both goals against Chelsea came from Barry breaking up play but not only against Chelsea he's done it in so many games this season. He isn't blessed with pace but lets be honest he's getting on a bit. He's just what we need infront of the back 4 in my opinion, experienced head, good on the ball. Everyone's open to their own opinion but he's been our most consistent player I think

yeah cause life is so black and white eh? I guess you're not one the application of common sense then.

Football is black and white, that's why there is a rule book. How are younger players supposed to learn from their mistakes if they get let off with them all the time?

Do you think somebody like Costa would go past Stones then stop dead in his tracks and say "sorry mate that wasn't fair, you're to young to know I was going to do that"

When one door closes... The sending off is potentially a big chance for Besic. With the international break, Barry now has a month off. If Besic comes in and gets in full swing in the next couple of tests (Arsenal and Man Utd), then it might be hard for the manager to revert back to Barry who will have had a month without any action. Interesting dilemma potentially. Although knowing us Besic will play great and get an injury after a MOTM performance against Man Utd allowing the difficult choice to be averted for another day.

If he can maintain his fitness then Besic is the best cm we have by a way, got the energy of McCarthy - and then some, passing range of Barry at his best, and more desire and will to win than either, only thing lacking is experience and as i said to keep himeslf fit

If he can maintain his fitness then Besic is the best cm we have by a way, got the energy of McCarthy - and then some, passing range of Barry at his best, and more desire and will to win than either, only thing lacking is experience and as i said to keep himeslf fit
With absolute respect because it's all about opinions, I totally disagree that Besic has the passing of Barry at his best.

I like Besic, but he has shown no signs he is capable of a number of first time, sweeping passes that Barry makes every single game.

Besic of course loves a switch and has an eye for a through ball, but if he is to take Barrys mantle he needs to be able to dictate the pace of the game. Currently he only knows 250mph.

I do however think that with the right mentoring, Besic could be Barrys heir apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.