Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it's blatantly not true. Plus he was absolutely diabolical last season so a few okayish performances this season isn't enough to get back into some people's good books.

So you're on one hand saying he hasn't played well, then say he has played well, but you don't care because he's playing well now and not last season.

Ok then.

So you're on one hand saying he hasn't played well, then say he has played well, but you don't care because he's playing well now and not last season.

Ok then.

I said he's playing okayish, not well. Seemingly ok is acceptable now though

He dictates how we have to play but in a bad way. His mobility is so bad that he cannot play holding mid by himself. So if he is invaluable to the team then we are stuck with playing two holding midfielders. My issue is that he's not good enough with the ball at his feet to indulge him playing just that position. If he was a Pirlo type then yes, but McCarthy and Cleverley work like dogs getting the ball back to get Barry on it in space then....a sideways pass to a full back.

I'd much rather see Cleverley and Barkley in the middle especially at home. Our defensive record is not great either so as holding mids him and McCarthy are missing something.

I never understand this 'we don't need 2 holding midfielders' argument.

We play that way because everyone apart from our goalkeeper and one centre half (Jagielka) is encouraged to be attacking and playing almost kamikazee like.

Look at the starting positions when we have a goal kick. Full-backs as wingers, CB's split with Stones actively told to bring the ball out. Tell me mate, without 2 holding midfielders do you expect us to a) keep possession b) win the ball back if we lose it?

Second point. it doesn't matter who you are, if you have one holding midfielder the ball WILL be played around you with ease against the top teams. Who's the best holding mid in the league? Matic? Silva and Co made him look absolute gammon last weekend. We have two and manage to by and large snuff them out.

As for your concerns over his distribution, I just don't get it mate. How many times did he manage to wriggle us out of a tight spot yesterday when the vultures surrounded him. Answer: many. He doesn't get flustered under pressure, knows when to play a longer pass (which he does frequently) and knows when the game needs shortening.

Sorry mate, I just don't understand how you can't see it.

Decent against Watford, one of our best players against Southampton and wasn't out of place against City - what more do you want from him exactly; 50 yard silky runs and stepovers?

Well yeah. But I want that from everyone.

Nah, he's been good this season. A rest might be good for him on Wednesday though.

He was actually really good for the first 30 minutes or so, but in the second half especially, he was absolute turd. Dangerously bad; we were lucky he didn't cost us a goal.

I think it's acceptable for a player of his age to dip, but the problem is that when he is having a shocker, Roberto keeps playing him for 90 minutes.

That was worse than the infamous "Neville VS Wigan" games for me.

Atrocious.

Norammly unlike a lot of people i've been ok with him playing most of the time, what he lacks in pace and unbookable tackling he makes up in positioning and experience.

But there has to be a limit where his negatives far outweigh his positives, and today he crossed that line really.

We might not be any better with Besic in there overall but he can only get better as Barry gets worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.