Gareth Barry yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a terrible slippery-slope argument
Its like saying we shouldn't sign too many youngster else we'll become like Arsenal a few seasons ago and we all know where that gets you
Roberto WANTS senior pros in the squad- he wants Howard here until 39, he gave Distin another contract until 37, and he'll want Barry here until he's the same.
These are the leaders in the squad-
Howard has played in all competitions, captained his country, taken records for consecutive Prem games played
Distin holds the appearance record for non-British outfield players- a superb achievement
Barry has more international and premier league appearances than most other players in the history of the league

Age is arbitrary so long as the ability is there- The same applies to Barkley and Stones etc
Its an easy decision- if we can convince Barry to stay- he must stay.
Well what I am trying to say Is having Barry in our team and signing him up for his wages or whatever we will offer him is massive for a player of his age. I argued the point with distin because we signed him slightly younger and he is still a first team defender all these years later. Except distin is not far off retirement now and soon his performances will drop and that will be that as a first team player. However the difference between him.and Barry is that he has earn his contract and has been fantastic for us. Barry has been great as well but how long has he really got left? Just because distin has lasted so long doesn't mean Barry will and I'd rather us invest in younger players and develop a squad along with our youth that will build every year. Having Barry in the team means he is first choice and at his age we would.need to look to replace him after a year to prevent us having a issue going forward. His wages could go to two mirallas aged players who have their careers ahead of them, I wouldn't sign too many youngsters because you end up with villa.

But I recognise that Barry is signing for us and whatever I say is void on the matter. He will be fist team next year and probably still do a good job. I just want to look at things long term under martinez and see where he can take us over 5 years, not just next season.

I wondered whether I was drunk or Barry was a good as I was thinking he was on Sunday. Read through the last few comments and I obviously wasn't that drunk!

We need to sign him, he is immense, and he can only help the likes of Lundstram coming through too.

I offer him at least a 2 year deal. His experience alone would benefit the team, but at the min he looks fit and as good as anyone else in the prem

Agree with this. 2 year contract, MaC & Barry in the middle a must with Gibson offering most useful cover , also note Baz is rarely injured ( very intelligent use of his bite in the tackle ) he is always there for defenders as an outlet . Sign him up, please...............

What do we do against City when he can't play?

It is a very difficult question. I doubt Gibbo will be fit enough to start. But I cannot see anyone playing there apart from Osman...God...

And Barkley is not a CM I think.

I think it will be a 4-3-3 of sorts,

-------------Howard
Coleman --whoevers fit -Baines
---------Barkley -McCarthy
-------------Osman
----Naismith--Lukaku--Del/McGeady

If by some miracle Jags and Distin are both fit, I would be somewhat curious to see how John Stones would play in Barry's roll. They seem to be similar players despite the 14 year age gap, they both read the game well, defend well, and are confident going forward. If so I would put Stones in next to McCarthy in the above formation, and play Barkley up top with Naismith and Lukaku.

Osman, McCarthy mate o_O

It's not looking good is it!

It is a very difficult question. I doubt Gibbo will be fit enough to start. But I cannot see anyone playing there apart from Osman...God...

And Barkley is not a CM I think.

Big dilemma... Osman has been poor in that role, for me. Love Ross of course, but he can also be questionable in the CM role. Just gunna have to hope for the best.

Send a search party out for Gibson.

He's on the piss in Dubai lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.