Gareth Barry yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running on empty I think but well done for that header to Seamus for the goal. Dug deep and got our reward.

Classy player is Barry. One of those players you only really appreciate when you see them week in, week out. Had a good game yesterday. I was bricking it when he stayed down and hardly moved. He'd have been a huge miss if he'd injured for part of the run in. We need backup in that area for next season ( assuming he stays ) because it's not realistic to expect him to be at his best if he has to play 40+ games a season.

He's 33 and played every game this season; what do you expect? great player, but 33 and not rest at all.
Not criticising him at all mate, praising him for digging so deep despite how much he has played. He has done really well for us and I thought he deserved a pat on back for the header that led to winner.

Not criticising him at all mate, praising him for digging so deep despite how much he has played. He has done really well for us and I thought he deserved a pat on back for the header that led to winner.

wasn't having a go, just a rhetorical question.

to be honest i dont want us to sign Barry. Now i know the percentage of him being an evertonian is rather high now and fair enough but personally i would send him back to city or wherever he signs.

Reason being we need someone who is going to be here in 5 years time. Call me mad but considering how much money we have as a club i would rather buy players that you can see out a contract with, i.e. 5 years. Barry being knackered now is partly the clubs fault for not bringing anyone in but it is also a sign of his age catching up and the end result is the trip on chamberlain. He has been fantastic for us, no question on that, but under new management i would rather the stalwart of the team being someone who is not close to retirement.

to be honest i dont want us to sign Barry. Now i know the percentage of him being an evertonian is rather high now and fair enough but personally i would send him back to city or wherever he signs.

Reason being we need someone who is going to be here in 5 years time. Call me mad but considering how much money we have as a club i would rather buy players that you can see out a contract with, i.e. 5 years. Barry being knackered now is partly the clubs fault for not bringing anyone in but it is also a sign of his age catching up and the end result is the trip on chamberlain. He has been fantastic for us, no question on that, but under new management i would rather the stalwart of the team being someone who is not close to retirement.

Why?

Barry has been immense this season and the opportunity to sign a player of his experience, professionalism and calibre should be grabbed with both hands by the club.

The fact that he's only got 2 or 3 seasons left in the tank, doesn't matter a jot to me. You'd have to find £20m+ to sign a player of his calibre in the current market.

Status
Not open for further replies.