GALLOWAY ON ABOUT ABOUT A NEW CONTRACT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertor

Has left the building
Been waiting ever since that Kone thread for there to be some contract news just for that title, in honour of the Kone one. Anyway, well deserved for the lad in my opinion. Hopefully gets a big pay rise.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/26/brendan-galloway-everton-mk-dons-leighton-baines

Roberto Martínez has said Brendan Galloway deserves a new contract that reflects his rise to prominence at Everton as Leighton Baines edges closer to a first-team comeback. Galloway has excelled in Baines’ absence this season, alleviating pressure on the England left-back to rush back from a long-term injury and ensuring fierce competition for a place when the 30-year-old is match fit. The 19-year-old joined Everton on a five-year contract from MK Dons in August 2014 but Martínez views the Zimbabwe-born defender as an established member of the squad, after only 14 Premier League appearances, and believes that should be reflected in a new deal. “Brendan Galloway is a first-team player, he is not a young player any more,” the Everton manager said. “With what he has done this season he has earned the right to be considered a starter.

“At the moment our options at left-back are as good as you are going to get in the league with Bryan Oviedo, Leighton Baines and Brendan Galloway. It is going to be down to competition for places, whatever we need on the day and allowing them to fight for that position. I don’t consider Brendan as a teenager who is just filling a role in the first team. He has earned the right of being an important player in the first team and that’s the way I see it.”

Martínez added: “I would like him to get a different contract. He has got three years left [after this season] and he’s in line for a different one. We have been talking with his agent. We have just exchanged ideas at the moment and we’ll see where we go with that.”

Everton visit Bournemouth in the Premier League on Saturday but Martínez has yet to decide whether to involve Baines. The England international, the manager believes, needs to restore his confidence going into challenges before making a competitive return.

Baines has been sidelined since May by an ankle injury that required two operations, one to address a long-standing ligament problem and a second after the repair work snapped in training days before the new season. The defender has stepped up his rehabilitation in recent weeks and had a second run-out on Sunday when he played 45 minutes for Everton Under-21s against Porto B in the Premier League International Cup.

“Physically Leighton is fine from a medical point of view,” Martínez said. “Now it’s about giving him the right sort of introduction. More than anything it’s about confidence, about going into a 50-50 challenge without being fearful because of the way he got the [second] injury by blocking a ball, not by stretching.

“It’s about preparing his body to be physically strong, but it is great to see him back in training. It’s about giving him exactly what he needs, not rushing him back and losing him for the rest of the campaign. We can use his freshness and experience for the rest of the season.”

He's been excellent all things considered (age, experience not his natural position etc). Baines is the best option and a nailed on starter when fit AND in form. This is the difference. If Baines is rusty in training or not back to 100% confidence yet the luxury of someone good enough to fill in while he plays with U21s etc is invaluable.

Well in Bobby. Great buy and an exciting option going forward.

Been waiting ever since that Kone thread for there to be some contract news just for that title, in honour of the Kone one. Anyway, well deserved for the lad in my opinion. Hopefully gets a big pay rise.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/26/brendan-galloway-everton-mk-dons-leighton-baines

Roberto Martínez has said Brendan Galloway deserves a new contract that reflects his rise to prominence at Everton as Leighton Baines edges closer to a first-team comeback. Galloway has excelled in Baines’ absence this season, alleviating pressure on the England left-back to rush back from a long-term injury and ensuring fierce competition for a place when the 30-year-old is match fit. The 19-year-old joined Everton on a five-year contract from MK Dons in August 2014 but Martínez views the Zimbabwe-born defender as an established member of the squad, after only 14 Premier League appearances, and believes that should be reflected in a new deal. “Brendan Galloway is a first-team player, he is not a young player any more,” the Everton manager said. “With what he has done this season he has earned the right to be considered a starter.

“At the moment our options at left-back are as good as you are going to get in the league with Bryan Oviedo, Leighton Baines and Brendan Galloway. It is going to be down to competition for places, whatever we need on the day and allowing them to fight for that position. I don’t consider Brendan as a teenager who is just filling a role in the first team. He has earned the right of being an important player in the first team and that’s the way I see it.”

Martínez added: “I would like him to get a different contract. He has got three years left [after this season] and he’s in line for a different one. We have been talking with his agent. We have just exchanged ideas at the moment and we’ll see where we go with that.”

Everton visit Bournemouth in the Premier League on Saturday but Martínez has yet to decide whether to involve Baines. The England international, the manager believes, needs to restore his confidence going into challenges before making a competitive return.

Baines has been sidelined since May by an ankle injury that required two operations, one to address a long-standing ligament problem and a second after the repair work snapped in training days before the new season. The defender has stepped up his rehabilitation in recent weeks and had a second run-out on Sunday when he played 45 minutes for Everton Under-21s against Porto B in the Premier League International Cup.

“Physically Leighton is fine from a medical point of view,” Martínez said. “Now it’s about giving him the right sort of introduction. More than anything it’s about confidence, about going into a 50-50 challenge without being fearful because of the way he got the [second] injury by blocking a ball, not by stretching.

“It’s about preparing his body to be physically strong, but it is great to see him back in training. It’s about giving him exactly what he needs, not rushing him back and losing him for the rest of the campaign. We can use his freshness and experience for the rest of the season.”

You can never have enough abouts in a sentence mate lmao

It sounds unlikely that MK Dons will activate their buy-out. A lot of ducks have to line up for that to happen. Unless of course MK Dons and Barca act in collusion which I think unlikely.

*downloads the summer window's lunar cycles

Status
Not open for further replies.