From the Away End - Crystal Palace v Everton Sunday 12 December 4.30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not many to choose from, most are home fans only since promotion but Wetherspoons at Norwood Junction is ok I understand. Wouldn’t wear colours.
I suppose the Clifton Arms is still going? Last went in there in 1971 but not a Palace v EFC game. It was the FA Cup 3rd place malarky game against Stoke on the Friday evening (before the Arse v rs final on the Saturday). Thankfully that ridiculous idea for a regular fixture got binned. As usual, it had gone wrong for us at Old Trafford in the semi. Anyway, I got there early doors on the Friday afternoon and with a few others was bladdered come kick off. The game ended and I thought we'd drawn it 2-2, but no, we'd lost 3-2 - I'd missed Stoke's third when I went for a piss, hardly anybody there, forget the official attendance. Back into the West End (last train had left) so more frollicks with a few Blues (& a load of the rs), daylight dawned. More fun & games, then reality kicked in and I got a late morning train back to Limey - home just in time to see Charlie George on his arse celebrating, thankfully!! :)

I suppose the Clifton Arms is still going? Last went in there in 1971 but not a Palace v EFC game. It was the FA Cup 3rd place malarky game against Stoke on the Friday evening (before the Arse v rs final on the Saturday). Thankfully that ridiculous idea for a regular fixture got binned. As usual, it had gone wrong for us at Old Trafford in the semi. Anyway, I got there early doors on the Friday afternoon and with a few others was bladdered come kick off. The game ended and I thought we'd drawn it 2-2, but no, we'd lost 3-2 - I'd missed Stoke's third when I went for a piss, hardly anybody there, forget the official attendance. Back into the West End (last train had left) so more frollicks with a few Blues (& a load of the rs), daylight dawned. More fun & games, then reality kicked in and I got a late morning train back to Limey - home just in time to see Charlie George on his arse celebrating, thankfully!! :)
The Clifton is still going strong. Was run for years by an ex Millwall player whose name escapes me for a minute. Used to get a bit lively in there now and again. Not so much these days I understand but I haven’t been in for years.
I think the gate for that game was c 5000. Pointless exercise.

Will be an interesting game. We've gone away from the new style a bit recently after a couple of injuries which is concerning so we'll be hoping to get back on track and controlling games again (hint: start a bloody passer in midfield instead of the yard dogs). When teams sit back (which they get to do often as we don't transition quickly so they're nice and snug in their shape by the time we look to test them) our creativity has been mixed - GBH's Villa limited us very well by staying compact so hopefully we see an improvement there as we're good defensively most of the time.

Watching you against Arsenal and your red friends, I couldn't work out how it took Benitez until the 2nd half of the former to stick an extra man in midfield, With Gray, Richarlison and Andros (well, sometimes) you have a good counter attacking threat so just need to stay solid at the back but the 2 man midfield looked constantly outnumbered and unsuited to staying narrow and sticking to closing off the space in front of the CBs. If they keep going walkabout to win the ball, surely you need someone behind them to clean up and support the defence... If Benitez does stick with the 4-3-3 of sorts and focus on hitting the space in behind us (more specifically in behind Ward) then we'll have a very tricky game on Sunday

being diplomatic and stuff I'll go for a 1-1 but Palace haven't drained me of my new found positivity yet and have a point to prove so I'm looking forward to it as long as we play some football again and 50p foot Ayew isn't the one on the end of any chances

Status
Not open for further replies.