2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're league form last season suffered as they switched focus to the Eufa cup, knocked out Seville and Lyon then spunked 150m this window.

Their form this season is also a bit of a result of the fixtures - think they've played 4/5 of last seasons top 6 in their first 7 games. And they've been massively unlucky, absolutely battered forest and lost, robbed by var against chelsea and lost, lost to city, lost away to Brighton, drew v spurs and beat villa
Hence the surprise as from what I’ve saw they’re a good team - a Moyes team of old.

Yup, basically they're solid throughout but lack a game changer - bit like us with Moyes tbh.

If you offered me finishing one place above them right now I'd take it though as I'll bet that would be Europe

Got quite a few mates who are West Ham, and telling them not to panic.

They will be top 10. Need to get their CBs back, but they caused Chelsea lots of problems. Moyes tends to start seasons slowly and then get into gear.

The problem they have is two fold really:
1) Moyes isnt very good at maximising "big" spend. He wont kick them on a level.

2) If they panic following a poor start, it could unfold a bit. They just have to hang in and they'll be ok.

I’ll meet you in the Conspiracy Theories thread. 5 minutes.
this makes me a little suspicious...5 minutes you say?...wasn't there about 10 minutes difference between WTC1 getting hit by an aeroplane and WTC2 suffering similar fate?. 10 minutes, 2 planes...and what is 10 divided by 2?.... hmmm, I do not think I will head to the conspiracy thread today...I sense danger.

Still too many taking short terms views from result to result. If the Benhrama shot goes in off the post then there’s be some on here questioning his position. If it had gone in after Maupay had put his wife and we’d lost then the pressure would have been unbearable. The performance would have been exactly the same though. Thats why these overreactions you results aren’t helpful and a larger sample of results have to be taken.

What is starting to become more apparent though is that we’ve tightened up at the back considerably as we’ve only conceded more than one goal once in 8 games now. That certainly bodes well as does the consistency of performances from almost every player in the line up.

I’d much rather have that than a few extra points on the board because we got lucky from set pieces in a few games against bottom half teams but were getting punted for four and five by anyone decent. There’s a definite platform to build on.
How do you know Maupay has got anything going on with Benhramas wife? Talk about ITK -Jeez!

They will be top 10. Need to get their CBs back, but they caused Chelsea lots of problems. Moyes tends to start seasons slowly and then get into gear.

1) Moyes isnt very good at maximising "big" spend. He wont kick them on a level.

2) If they panic following a poor start, it could unfold a bit. They just have to hang in and they'll be ok.
They could struggle in the league a bit with all the extra fixtures. They just need to figure out how to break sides down. Seems like they have enough pieces to eventually sort that. A bit like us this season, really. We're starting to figure it out.

I can easily see them getting it together enough to have a very mediocre league season and prioritize getting back to Europe through the cups. They're in good position in the Conference League, and they would probably only need a scalp or two to get to Europa via the domestic cups.

Last edited:
They could struggle in the league a bit with all the extra fixtures. They just need to figure out how to break sides down. Seems like they have enough pieces to eventually sort that. A bit like us this season, really. We're starting to figure it out.

I can easily see them getting it together enough to have a very mediocre league season and prioritize getting back to Europe through the cups. They're in good position in the Conference League, and they would probably only need a scalp or two to get to Europa via the domestic cups.
I'd be very surprised if they don't finish top half mate.

They've been very unlucky in 3-4 games this sesson - hit the woodwork a hell of a lot, plus had a few really bad var decisions go against them too.

Throw those on top of a schedule that's seen them play City, Chelsea, Spurs and a in form Brighton and it's easy to see why they've had a struggle to start.

They even had Forest first game away which is always a horrid fixture v a newly promoted side first game up in the division in front of their fans.

Moyes has a habit if a slow start then turning it round with a good month or two of grinding out results. Looking at West Hams fixtures after the break I can see it happening again.

Wolves and Fulham at home then away to Saints and the rs then home to Bournemouth.

Can see them picking up 9-12 points out that lot which will have them sitting mid table

A bit like us with Lampard their fans aren't panicking mate - think they see that they aren't rolling over for teams, just haven't got into gear yet.

Two week break on the training ground followed by two home games v poor teams I think will see them get back on track.

Then again I have a feeling we are gonna go on a bit of a winning run ourselves after the break

I'd be very surprised if they don't finish top half mate.

They've been very unlucky in 3-4 games this sesson - hit the woodwork a hell of a lot, plus had a few really bad var decisions go against them too.

Throw those on top of a schedule that's seen them play City, Chelsea, Spurs and a in form Brighton and it's easy to see why they've had a struggle to start.

They even had Forest first game away which is always a horrid fixture v a newly promoted side first game up in the division in front of their fans.

Moyes has a habit if a slow start then turning it round with a good month or two of grinding out results. Looking at West Hams fixtures after the break I can see it happening again.

Wolves and Fulham at home then away to Saints and the rs then home to Bournemouth.

Can see them picking up 9-12 points out that lot which will have them sitting mid table
The saving grace for them in the table is that almost no one has been good so far. In many seasons past, they would have spotted more points to many more sides with a start like this. Getting blanked four times in seven outings is a sign of problems, no matter who was on the fixture calendar. They're far from dead in the water, but they need to kick on quickly if they want a top-half finish in the mid-fifties (give or take) on points.

Wolves and Fulham are interesting matchups - Wolves are a stingy side with even more problems up top, and Fulham is the reverse (Europa goalscoring pace and near-relegation concession pace), so we'll learn a lot from those two fixtures. Southampton and Bournemouth look like strong pickup opportunities.

The corner count is bizarre as we seem to give them away in clusters of 4/5 at a time. But we do seem to be getting our heads onto them a lot more and maybe they're backing themselves to be a lot stronger and more organised so aren't fearing the set pieces as much.

I think the only goal conceded was the Brentford one which was a real howler

The corner count is bizarre as we seem to give them away in clusters of 4/5 at a time. But we do seem to be getting our heads onto them a lot more and maybe they're backing themselves to be a lot stronger and more organised so aren't fearing the set pieces as much.

I think the only goal conceded was the Brentford one which was a real howler
I think it's just because we don't take chances with it. We just get it away from the goal even if that's giving away a corner. We have lots of height now to defend corners effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.