2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Press it before the window and have a new manager in place for it. Obvioulsy Ilm not advocating that.
To be honest Dave I find the story that Moshiri wanted Lampard out at the end of a season hard to believe.

There would have been no point in doing so as after the Palace game we were largely assured of safety but not guaranteed .
Changing manager would have further disrupted the club and God only knows who would take the role at the very end of a poor season.

I also think that Moshiri may have stepped back a little from the football decision making and allowed Thelwell/Lampard/Kenwright to select the targets and negotiate for them.

Moshiri may not know a lot about football but he certainly is no fool and he will have seen how Evertonians have rallied behind Lampard and almost overnight a club that was divided down the middle was united again.

I don't think he would easily decide to break that unity again.

This has to be a 4/5 year plan. If we're on board with the plan and its going ok then the board will be. Its looking good, I think our attackers can now play with confidence that there is safety behind them. Means a lot in my opinion.

To be honest Dave I find the story that Moshiri wanted Lampard out at the end of a season hard to believe.

There would have been no point in doing so as after the Palace game we were largely assured of safety but not guaranteed .
Changing manager would have further disrupted the club and God only knows who would take the role at the very end of a poor season.

I also think that Moshiri may have stepped back a little from the football decision making and allowed Thelwell/Lampard/Kenwright to select the targets and negotiate for them.

Moshiri may not know a lot about football but he certainly is no fool and he will have seen how Evertonians have rallied behind Lampard and almost overnight a club that was divided down the middle was united again.

The Esk is well known for posting total rubbish just to get hits and likes, I dont belive it at all, hopfully we have heard the last of Moshiri

I personally don't think Moshiri would be so quick to pull the trigger yeno. I think fan sentiment can play a lot into these types of decisions.

Goodison clearly got very toxic under Benitez, hence why he was given the boot after 5/6 months. It's different with Lampard - the fans can clearly see a plan is in place and he is a likable fella. Think we've got a good coaching staff as well. I personally hope they stay in place for as long as possible - we absolutely need some consistency in the backroom for once.
I agree with this. And when you think of the Benitez situation, he didn't really press the panic button there either. He sacked him much later than most on here wanted. And generally he is quite reluctant to sack managers and pay a load of compo. And looking back through his time here, was there any manager he sacked too soon? Possibly Silva, although 90% on here wanted him gone at that stage. And we got Carlo in after so hard to mourn that decision too much.

This has to be a 4/5 year plan. If we're on board with the plan and its going ok then the board will be. Its looking good, I think our attackers can now play with confidence that there is safety behind them. Means a lot in my opinion.
I agree a 4/5 year plan would be ideal but just cannot see it. 2/3 year plan a possibility. We have to put the brakes on the managerial merry go round at some stage and I hope it is now. Don't get me wrong but languishing in the bottom 3 would be totally unacceptable

A significant portion of our business was done after the first 4 games of the season had already been played. That is a failure of the board that has cost us potentially crucial points.
That is fair comment, but we know there were issues between Gueye and PSG and it would appear that Utd wanted to have a look at Garner but could not do so and eventually sold him to try to get some money back into the club after making some very expensive buys.

In the past we waded in to the market waving our cheque bokk and that proved a disaster.

I think this is a season of consolidation and expect the results to get better as the season progresses.

This season I think we would accept mid table and hopefully grow from there.

I think we could have more points by now but after Sunday we will have played three of the probable to four in the table in our first seven games as well as away to Villa and Brentford.

I would consider that a difficult start.

Actually the manager has said himself that we weren’t even looking at strikers until Dominic Calvert-Lewin got injured, so yes there is evidence that we didn’t do the Maupay deal earlier because we couldn’t be bothered.
I don't think this proves what you think it proves.

If it's really true that we weren't looking for a striker before DCL was injured (and that is almost certainly untrue - Broja was in the conversation for a long time), then wouldn't that suggest a policy shift driven by events - rather than that we couldn't be bothered?

Look, drawing sweeping conclusions about what we did or didn't try to do, based on the crumbs of unreliable evidence in the public domain, is your or anyone else's prerogative.

But ultimately, we haven't a clue what actually went on.

I don't think this proves what you think it proves.

If it's really true that we weren't looking for a striker before Dominic Calvert-Lewin was injured (and that is almost certainly untrue - Broja was in the conversation for a long time), then wouldn't that suggest a policy shift driven by events - rather than that we couldn't be bothered?

Look, drawing sweeping conclusions about what we did or didn't try to do, based on the crumbs of unreliable evidence in the public domain, is your or anyone else's prerogative.

But ultimately, we haven't a clue what actually went on.

Broja was linked tenuously by a load of journalists, if you’re believing that then you should believe all 120 odd rumours that cropped up over the summer were true.

We needed a striker before DCL got injured. So yes the decision to not look for a striker until he got injured was a failure.

Broja was linked tenuously by a load of journalists, if you’re believing that then you should believe all 120 odd rumours that cropped up over the summer were true.

We needed a striker before Dominic Calvert-Lewin got injured. So yes the decision to not look for a striker until he got injured was a failure.
So your criticizing Lampard for not wanting a striker? Maybe he notice we need to sort other areas first

The other thing for me is that regardless of whether Moshiri had someone in mind (Pelligrini) we would have become practically untouchable as a club in future for a lot of managers, it would have killed us and we would been just seen as a joke club going forward.

We needed a striker before Dominic Calvert-Lewin got injured. So yes the decision to not look for a striker until he got injured was a failure.
I'm not the one who needs to be told not to believe everything he hears.

I'll reiterate: we have very little idea about how the transfer strategy unfolded.

Status
Not open for further replies.