2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both styles were mid table.

Difference is that we've thrown very good money at achieving midtable.

The current situation is that we can't spend money because previous managers have massively wasted the money they were given.

Spending has nothing to do with our style - you know that.
Also people chat about Potterball and say why cant we do that.

Potter was at Brighton for 3 years, he had 6 transfer windows to mould the side, Lampard has had 1 full window and a Deadline Day.

In his first season he took them from 17th to 16th, then 15th, then 16th, only after 3 seasons did he get them to 9th.

And its not like they attack any better than us either.

Potter was at Brighton for 3 years, he had 6 transfer windows to mould the side, Lampard has had 1 full window and a Deadline Day.

In his first season he took them from 17th to 16th, then 15th, then 16th, only after 3 seasons did he get them to 9th.

Considering wage bills/squad depth...how do you think Chelsea fans should feel about them getting tanked by his former team?

I don’t know what some people are expecting. This time last year we’d have killed for a defensive team that isn’t shipping goals and falling apart. With our finances and the changes we required in the squad, we can’t go from zeros to heros in half a season. In my opinion we are slightly ahead of plan as they have changed a vast majority of the squad and the mentality. Patience is required and a whole lot of hope

That's true. Basically Brighton stood still for 2 years.

Also worth saying, Lampard or he club hasnt spent heavily over the last 2 summers. And that's with a side that was comfortably bottom 6. It will take time for any manager.

Lampard is being judged on mistakes at Everton over the last 7 years.

Since he’s come in he’s been given:

Dele, DvB (loan), Coady (loan), Vinagre (loan), Tarkowski (free) Gueye (3 mill) Onana (30 mill) Maupay (15 mill) McNeill (20
Mill) Garner (9 mill)

He’s had to sell/release Richarlison, Allan, Tosun, Gomes, Siggurdson, Gbamin, Kenny, Dele to balance the books

I know we have spent some money in the past (although nowhere near the amount people like to cry over). Lampard has not spent this though, he does not have a defence with 30 mill players in three positions, or a super expensive midfield with CL players in it, or an array of number 10s including our 40 mill record signing and James Rodriguez, or a forward line with Brazil’s number 9 being supported with multiple players on 100k a week in Bernard Tosun Walcott

These are the failures of previous regimes and previous managers

Lampard’s first choice line up:

Pickford (30 mill)

Patterson (12) Coady (loan) Tarks (free) Myko (17)

Gueye (3) Onana (30) Iwobi (35)

Gordon (academy) Dominic Calvert-Lewin (3) Gray (1.5)

There’s teams in the bottom half of the prem who will have line ups with a higher value than that Nottingham Forest probably being one. It pales against sides like Leicester Villa Newcastle etc.

Yet there’s an expectation that Frank should somehow have this lot doing miles better than he currently is just because we’re Everton or something?

What is this expectation found in? We torpedoed ourselves financially under Koeman Silva and Ancelotti and left Benitez with one of the worst 11s in the league that then incurred multiple injuries. Lampard came in and saw us to survival but there was no getting away from the fact that a team containing Coleman Keane Holgate Kenny Davies was one of the worst in the league.

Now we expect him to have turned around 7 seasons of complete disarray from that low position in one transfer window where we sold his best attacker and we just about broke even on net spend?

Some of you are living in complete and utter delusion.
Excellent post.. real perspective!

We're set up nicely to play Potterball. Sturdy defence, solid midfield and Maupay up front

Every Evertonian backed him, we support our club, it's in our DNA.

As for James, he couldn't of possibly of known Rafael would be coming to save us, not when he gave up on us a few months earlier.

If Lucas had a problem with Mr Benitez what was his problem with Carlo, becuase he was crap under him too.
These the same Evertonians you hoped were priced out of going the game by rising cost of living?

Post in thread 'Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan'
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...nitez-poll-reset-25th-jan.113873/post-9380605

Still one of the most horrid posts I’ve seen on here which would make even the most ardent Tory wince.

I genuinely don’t believe Lampard wants us to play negative football. I think he gets as frustrated at times as I do when it appears we just down tools… if I really believed he wanted us to have every team in the premiership bully us while we hope to survive I would be on his back. But we do need to show improvement here much more consistently

I genuinely don’t believe Lampard wants us to play negative football. I think he gets as frustrated at times as I do when it appears we just down tools… if I really believed he wanted us to have every team in the premiership bully us while we hope to survive I would be on his back. But we do need to show improvement here much more consistently
Yeah no way does he, he didn't win as many trophies as he did and get all those England caps being negative.
Problem is the squad, its going to take a few more windows I reckon to really sort it, it's just a shame we had the money to of done it already but wasted most of it

14 league games with RB we were 14th. - with 15 points. Arguable whether points or places is more important. We'll see how it goes after 20 games.
If it's arguable, surely it shouldn't be. Places will always be more important. After 1/3 of Benitez's season we were 14th... after a 1/3 of this, we're 12th. And Lampard took over an absolute s*** show, Fatty didn’t.

I don’t know what some people are expecting. This time last year we’d have killed for a defensive team that isn’t shipping goals and falling apart. With our finances and the changes we required in the squad, we can’t go from zeros to heros in half a season. In my opinion we are slightly ahead of plan as they have changed a vast majority of the squad and the mentality. Patience is required and a whole lot of hope
He’s done over summer exactly what I wanted, sure up the midfield and the defense making us hard to beat.

There’s been signs of some good football, but I think some of the attackers have let him down. We’ll improve as the season goes on and then we’ll get some more quality in up top.

Status
Not open for further replies.