2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
These the same Evertonians you hoped were priced out of going the game by rising cost of living?

Post in thread 'Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan'
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...nitez-poll-reset-25th-jan.113873/post-9380605

Still one of the most horrid posts I’ve seen on here which would make even the most ardent Tory wince.
Or you can consider it a joke? It is difficult in this form to communicate exactly what you mean sometimes as the context is always in our head.

Lampard is being judged on mistakes at Everton over the last 7 years.

Since he’s come in he’s been given:

Dele, DvB (loan), Coady (loan), Vinagre (loan), Tarkowski (free) Gueye (3 mill) Onana (30 mill) Maupay (15 mill) McNeill (20
Mill) Garner (9 mill)

He’s had to sell/release Richarlison, Allan, Tosun, Gomes, Siggurdson, Gbamin, Kenny, Dele to balance the books

I know we have spent some money in the past (although nowhere near the amount people like to cry over). Lampard has not spent this though, he does not have a defence with 30 mill players in three positions, or a super expensive midfield with CL players in it, or an array of number 10s including our 40 mill record signing and James Rodriguez, or a forward line with Brazil’s number 9 being supported with multiple players on 100k a week in Bernard Tosun Walcott

These are the failures of previous regimes and previous managers

Lampard’s first choice line up:

Pickford (30 mill)

Patterson (12) Coady (loan) Tarks (free) Myko (17)

Gueye (3) Onana (30) Iwobi (35)

Gordon (academy) Dominic Calvert-Lewin (3) Gray (1.5)

There’s teams in the bottom half of the prem who will have line ups with a higher value than that Nottingham Forest probably being one. It pales against sides like Leicester Villa Newcastle etc.

Yet there’s an expectation that Frank should somehow have this lot doing miles better than he currently is just because we’re Everton or something?

What is this expectation found in? We torpedoed ourselves financially under Koeman Silva and Ancelotti and left Benitez with one of the worst 11s in the league that then incurred multiple injuries. Lampard came in and saw us to survival but there was no getting away from the fact that a team containing Coleman Keane Holgate Kenny Davies was one of the worst in the league.

Now we expect him to have turned around 7 seasons of complete disarray from that low position in one transfer window where we sold his best attacker and we just about broke even on net spend?

Some of you are living in complete and utter delusion.
Probably one of the most succinct and on-the-money posts I’ve read on any Everton forum, period.
That saying about you can’t polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter was never more apt.

For me, we (or rather Jagielka and baines) pushed Roberto out too soon, and we then ejected Marco Silva prematurelylets not make the same mistake with Frank.

Last season we had the same number of wins as Palace who finished 12th and only one less than Brighton who finished 9th.

Turning a few losses into draws would have made for a far more comfortable season and hopefully will do this year with results like yesterday. Painful on the eyes but probably necessary.
good point that is

Or you can consider it a joke? It is difficult in this form to communicate exactly what you mean sometimes as the context is always in our head.
If it was a joke it wasn't funny. Also don't understand why you would make light of fellow supporters of your own team struggling financially. Especially when our club is in Liverpool which has some of the most deprived areas in the country and I would assume there's a significant number of supporters who do struggle to afford to attend the match.

Not sure why anyone on here would defend a "joke" like that.

At least we have a manager now who actually cares enough about us to engage with the support.

Look, its not perfect, but hes come in, lets face it, the side was on its arse.

Hes gave us what we wanted, 433 and we have some very good players in the side.

Football is a results game and I think we expect more due to well, us being Everton, its a fair thing. We have also spent vast sums of money the last few years, well waste would be the word I would use.

Yes we should be going to little no mark teams like Fulham and Newcastle and giving them a shoeing, but we play in the hardest league in the world and these teams are in fine form and yes, our attacking player hasnt been amazing.

But Rome wasnt built in a day, so lets try and trust the "project" and hope we can build from season to season now. If in a few months, years, Lampard wasnt the right fella, we go again, but for now lets try and get behind Frank and the players.

52 points is way too high to say its a good season. That would be a 33% increase on last year. 45 points would be perfectly acceptable after the mess we got into last year.

We have one of the bottom 3 front lines in the league. No manager can work miracles with this level of quality.

You're right to have high expectations. But you're wrong to demand so much so soon. The standard we want to get to should be titles, and I'm serious about that, but that takes a lot of time and patience and we need realistic expectations in his first full season.

This may be all about terminology, but acceptable does not mean good.

52 points is not the impossibliilty that you are making out. Is it unlikely? Sure, but that's why it's a challenge. At the start of the season would you have pegged Newcastle to be a CL quality team? When Arsenal were all at sea in the early part of last season, did you think that they would be top of the league 12 months later? They have improved because their fans would not just lie down and accept "oh well, this is the best we can hope for."

45 points wouldn't be seen as progress for me. That's basically just 2 extra wins from a 38 game schedule, after one of the most turbulent and bottom-of-the-barrel seasons we've ever had. I'm NOT lying down and accepting that this is the best we can hope for. I'm effing tired of thinking that mediocrity is acceptable and we shouldn't strive for more. /fvck that. I'm done with being mediocre.

Look, its not perfect, but hes come in, lets face it, the side was on its arse.

Hes gave us what we wanted, 433 and we have some very good players in the side.

Football is a results game and I think we expect more due to well, us being Everton, its a fair thing. We have also spent vast sums of money the last few years, well waste would be the word I would use.

Yes we should be going to little no mark teams like Fulham and Newcastle and giving them a shoeing, but we play in the hardest league in the world and these teams are in fine form and yes, our attacking player hasnt been amazing.

But Rome wasnt built in a day, so lets try and trust the "project" and hope we can build from season to season now. If in a few months, years, Lampard wasnt the right fella, we go again, but for now lets try and get behind Frank and the players.
The ONLY thing I am concerned with atm is we can see a long term plan developing, something not seen for many years.
The club with its New Found Wealth wanted instant rewards and failed spectacularly.

I just wish we could have done this from the start , but here we are.
This manager has to be given time even through dark days , I honestly believe he (& his backroom team ) will deliver , he is exactly what the club needed.

It wasn't actually.

BTW you supported a Kopite & still do , that is totally unforgivable.
Of course it was, to say it wasnt is weird.
Who else are you blaming? Apart from the fact he appointed him, if he hadn't of made such a mess we could of been in a position to attract a decent name manager.
I'm just glad he let Kenwright get Lampard in.

Of course it was, to say it wasnt is weird.
Who else are you blaming? Apart from the fact he appointed him, if he hadn't of made such a mess we could of been in a position to attract a decent name manager.
I'm just glad he let Kenwright get Lampard in.
Ask yourself why Jaffa had to quarantine himself after his interview on a certain person's yacht to find out who appointed him.
And it wasn't Moshiri.

Very very bad decision but you loved it.

Ask yourself why Jaffa had to quarantine himself after his interview on a certain person's yacht to find out who appointed him.
And it wasn't Moshiri.

Very very bad decision but you loved it.
The only person who could appoint him was Moshiri, nobody else, everybody knows that. He wanted him, he gave him the job, nobody else had a say.
It wasn't Usmanov.
He refused to listen when he was advised against it, it wasn't until January 2022 he finally accepted he had to listen and take advice from people who knew Everton and knew what they were doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.