2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've played Allardyce Ball in every away game this season (and home games against Utd and Chelsea).

You could sign Lukaku for £80 millions in January but if your set up / tactics are negative (added to a general lack of creativity in the side) you're not going to fare that much better than with the likes of Gordon & Maupay in the side.

For me if the manager let off the shackles I think we'll have fared better on the road this season imo.

We played our first 4 away games without Calvert-Lewin tbf

Since then we've had Southampton (which we won), Spurs, Newcastle and now Fulham.

Spurs you can understand us keeping it tight, Newcastle we were just bad all around on the day and Fulham have had a good start to the season.

Think these things just take time, myself.

Yep newly promoted team who we have spent considerably more than gave us a chasing. You used transfer figures to absolve Lampard of responsibility for an underperforming team, I just countered with transfer figures. He's on course for 40 points. Results wise he's probably getting the minimum required right now. Performance wise I'd say we're below average.

It was 0-0, at their ground. We didn’t get a chasing whatsoever. The first half was fairly equal and they had some decent moments in the second. Is that a chasing these days?

I don’t think we are underperforming and that’s the key difference here between us. What metric are you using for where our performance should be? Is it a one off game against Fulham where because our line up is marginally more than theirs you feel we should be comfortably beating them? In that case do you also have an expectation that teams should be comfortably beating us at Goodison if they’ve spent more than us? Or are you judging it on the quality of players Frank has available to him, because in that instance I’d say we’re probably exactly where we would be with a squad that’s bottom half in terms of quality.

It just seems like some fans have this view that because we’re Everton we should beat anyone at home and apart from the top 6 we should be better than anyone else away from home as well. We’re the same as any other team including Fulham. It’s not about the history of the club, it’s about the 11 v 11 plus subs on match day and our 11 is not very expensive and not a particularly good in comparison to a lot of teams in this league. That’s not Lampard’s fault, in fact he’s probably dragged us from having maybe the 17th or 18th worst 11 to probably 13th or 14th in one window.

Of course if we want to play more like Fulham we could always get their manager and see how he’d do. I’m sure the results would be different with a good bit of progressive 433 footie just going for it more often.

We've played Allardyce Ball in every away game this season (and home games against Utd and Chelsea).

You could sign Lukaku for £80 millions in January but if your set up / tactics are negative (added to a general lack of creativity in the side) you're not going to fare that much better than with the likes of Gordon & Maupay in the side.

For me if the manager let off the shackles I think we'll have fared better on the road this season imo.
I agree with much of this bar the last point, which is a bit contradictory - what is it, we dont have the players or theyre not being allowed to play?

I think Lampard is being entirely right in his pragmatism. It's almost Moyesian- stay in a game and pinch a win / get the draw.

Correct for where we are. Points on the board. Away draws are good in my book. Better than losing constantly. We'd potentially have won that with more incisive counter attacking players.

I agree with much of this bar the last point, which is a bit contradictory - what is it, we dont have the players or theyre not being allowed to play?

I think Lampard is being entirely right in his pragmatism. It's almost Moyesian- stay in a game and pinch a win.

Correct for where we are. Points on the board. Away draws are good in my book. Better than losing constantly. We'd potentially have won that with more incisive counter attacking players.

Im happy enough with a pragmatic style of play... but I feel he's too cautious which will lose him the fanbase over time (as what happened with Alladyce).

Moist got away with it as the top 4 aside we were the best of the rest and had regular European togger to keep the natives at bay.

This season Lampard will get a free pass but the following seasons to come he'll have to start winning either the bulk of his home games if he is to continue sitting back on the road or go for the jugular more in away matches against the "lesser" sides.

You look at Brighton putting 4 past Chelsea, Bournemouth/Newcastle putting 2 past Spurs and think if we were a little more brave could we have nicked something in these games ? Even the Utd game - we go 1 up but instead of piling on the pressure we just hand them the initiative.

It was 0-0, at their ground. We didn’t get a chasing whatsoever. The first half was fairly equal and they had some decent moments in the second. Is that a chasing these days?

I don’t think we are underperforming and that’s the key difference here between us. What metric are you using for where our performance should be? Is it a one off game against Fulham where because our line up is marginally more than theirs you feel we should be comfortably beating them? In that case do you also have an expectation that teams should be comfortably beating us at Goodison if they’ve spent more than us? Or are you judging it on the quality of players Frank has available to him, because in that instance I’d say we’re probably exactly where we would be with a squad that’s bottom half in terms of quality.

It just seems like some fans have this view that because we’re Everton we should beat anyone at home and apart from the top 6 we should be better than anyone else away from home as well. We’re the same as any other team including Fulham. It’s not about the history of the club, it’s about the 11 v 11 plus subs on match day and our 11 is not very expensive and not a particularly good in comparison to a lot of teams in this league. That’s not Lampard’s fault, in fact he’s probably dragged us from having maybe the 17th or 18th worst 11 to probably 13th or 14th in one window.

Of course if we want to play more like Fulham we could always get their manager and see how he’d do. I’m sure the results would be different with a good bit of progressive 433 footie just going for it more often.
We were poor yesterday. We've been poor 4 out of last 5 games(and Villa and Forest and Chelsea). We're on course for 40 points. Those are my metrics.

Im happy enough with a pragmatic style of play... but I feel he's too cautious which will lose him the fanbase over time (as what happened with Alladyce).

Moist got away with it as the top 4 aside we were the best of the rest and had regular European togger to keep the natives at bay.

This season Lampard will get a free pass but the following seasons to come he'll have to start winning either the bulk of his home games if he is to continue sitting back on the road or go for the jugular more in matches.

You look at Brighton putting 4 past Chelsea, Bournemouth/Newcastle putting 2 past Spurs and think if we were a little more brave could we have nicked something in these games ? Even the Utd game - we go 1 up but instead of piling on the pressure we just hand them the initiative.
Same happened with Moyes - folk (myself included) bemoaned the cautious approach away (particularly p the Sky daaahlings) as being too cautious right up until he left. Moyes had to deal with critique too, especially the 2nd season.

But its early days, I think many can see progress. Proof of the pudding is in the eating, let's see who comes in and what happens to our play.

We played our first 4 away games without Calvert-Lewin tbf

Since then we've had Southampton (which we won), Spurs, Newcastle and now Fulham.

Spurs you can understand us keeping it tight, Newcastle we were just bad all around on the day and Fulham have had a good start to the season.

Think these things just take time, myself.
Played without him yesterday as well

The cream of the Evertkn fan base, we rose above you all
Benitez was taking the club one way, down to the Championship. If you think cheering him on while he is doing that is supporting the club, that’s some odd logic. If he’d stayed we’d be in the Championship but at least you’d have cheered him on all the way.

I support Everton, not Rafael Benitez or any other manager. If they’re taking us backwards, killing the squad unity and spirit, as Benitez did, then it’s not supporting the club to just and let that happen. Get a grip.

If the aim is to keep it tight when away from home then we really should be working on set pieces, to have both centre halves, Dominic Calvert-Lewin,and Onana in the box to then fail to beat the 1st defender is criminal
That’s a good constructive criticism of our performance. We had five or six set piece opportunities and the only time we came close to causing an issue was that Tarkowski header where he put it straight at the keeper because we didn’t send it straight in.

Benitez was taking the club one way, down to the Championship. If you think cheering him on while he is doing that is supporting the club, that’s some odd logic. If he’d stayed we’d be in the Championship but at least you’d have cheered him on all the way.

I support Everton, not Rafael Benitez or any other manager. If they’re taking us backwards, killing the squad unity and spirit, as Benitez did, then it’s not supporting the club to just and let that happen. Get a grip.
He wasn't though was he, the fans were, look at yesterday, that was pathetic, are the fans throwing childish hissy fits like they were this stage last season? No, even though we are doing worse right now then we were at this stage last season.
I just hope we have learnt to actually support Frank but I fear a few more bad results and they could easily turn on him.

Besides your forgetting Rafael was long gone when we fell into the drop zone, the way teams behind us are playing we could easily find ourselves there again if we don't start scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.