2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. However, as a Blue since 1969, I was a bit uncomfortable with the prolonged lap of honour after a 1-0 home league win against West Ham.

Delighted with the win, but there are 31 more league matches to play.

I love his passion, but Frank, a simple gesture of appreciation to each side of the ground would be sufficient.

Be clear, I am very happy with the direction he is taking us, but let's keep our feet and heads firmly in the reality.
I don't mind the lap of honour and the gestures, we need a bit of that and its the way football is going.

I'd share your sentiment about keeping our feet on the ground though, it's way too early to be thinking that things have fundamentally changed for the better over a longer-term.

I like Lampard's passion and enthusiasm because it isn't fake, and fans can see that it isn't. He knows he has a committed and tuned-in crowd here, who appreciates what he is trying to do and can appreciate further the small steps.

Last edited:
Wouldnt be possible without ashley cole and the rest of the coaching staff i think they are doing a top job

I do think Lampard has learned from previous experiences and getting Clement in had been a master stroke in my view. It’s one of his best traits, he learns and isn’t afraid to change things until he gets the right results. He’s obviously seen that he might have had some gaps in previous coaching teams and plugged them with Clement and Cole.

For the first time in a long time we’re seeing some attacking patterns that aren’t just based on a single player (e.g get it to James and he’ll make something happen). It’s not super effective at the moment but it’s evidence that for once the players are actually listening in training and taking in what is being said.

In previous seasons under multiple managers (Koeman Silva Ancelotti all complained about this) it was as though the players trained all week then crossed the white line and just defaulted to sleepwalking failure mode. All set piece coaching out the window, any sort of patterns of play completely non existent. Just panicked hoofball followed by capitulation. We did the same under Lampard as well until he tore them a new one after the Palace away game. Then finally we started seeing players doing what he was asking of them and it’s continued into this season.

I do think Lampard has learned from previous experiences and getting Clement in had been a master stroke in my view. It’s one of his best traits, he learns and isn’t afraid to change things until he gets the right results. He’s obviously seen that he might have had some gaps in previous coaching teams and plugged them with Clement and Cole.

I think the Chelsea job was the best thing that could have happened to him. He not only had a chance to take over 'his' club but you can see that the failure of the job enabled him to see where his deficiencies are in management and what or who he needs to appoint to make sure that those deficiencies are managed properly. He doesn't strike me as a stubborn man, but one who is capable of processing and being better as a coach and a bloke. We aren't just going to see our team progress but we will see our management progressing too. It has the makings of a real 'project' that we haven't seen in a while at the club.

For the first time in a long time we’re seeing some attacking patterns that aren’t just based on a single player (e.g get it to James and he’ll make something happen). It’s not super effective at the moment but it’s evidence that for once the players are actually listening in training and taking in what is being said.

In previous seasons under multiple managers (Koeman Silva Ancelotti all complained about this) it was as though the players trained all week then crossed the white line and just defaulted to sleepwalking failure mode. All set piece coaching out the window, any sort of patterns of play completely non existent. Just panicked hoofball followed by capitulation. We did the same under Lampard as well until he tore them a new one after the Palace away game. Then finally we started seeing players doing what he was asking of them and it’s continued into this season.
that is an articulately narrated synopsis, and I find little prima facie flaw in your plot; though I would suggest @davek has lent no little significant kinetic energy toward deservedly being cast in some significant role around its screenplay.
Any story relating the re-emergence of Everton Football Club, as a major sporting presence, should and must, not only doff hat to Lampard, but also to his right hand man. I genuinely believe that if Frank had left unheeded the sage tactical and positional-play advice he has read on this forum via @davek 's postings, he would not enjoy the accolades, the 'palms before his feet', that he presently luxuriates in.

I think the Chelsea job was the best thing that could have happened to him. He not only had a chance to take over 'his' club but you can see that the failure of the job enabled him to see where his deficiencies are in management and what or who he needs to appoint to make sure that those deficiencies are managed properly. He doesn't strike me as a stubborn man, but one who is capable of processing and being better as a coach and a bloke. We aren't just going to see our team progress but we will see our management progressing too. It has the makings of a real 'project' that we haven't seen in a while at the club.

Yeah it’s good that he’s had the taste of his dream job already as well. That should mean that he’ll know that if he does get some improvement here he’s better off building on it than jumping straight into a CL hot seat club that might sack him in 6 months again and that would be career over for him. It could be that we were right time right place for each other. Probably the only PL club that would give him a chance at that time, and we might end up getting a very good manager who knows the value of sticking around to see the job through.

Let’s just hope his family like Merseyside.

If we go on a winning run up to the World Cup I'd imagine a clamour in certain circles for him to be considered for the vacant England job when Southgate utterly fails in Qatar.

We’ve needed energy and mobility in the midfield for 4/5 years. The fact he’s come in and changed it around in one transfer window is credit to him and makes you wonder why none of the previous managers were able to address such a glaring issue when he’s done it so quickly.

Addressed the issues at centre back as well. Solid spine through the centre of the pitch now when everyone is fit.

Now the glaring issue is in the creativity/goals in midfield and the wide forwards. Given how he and Thelwell have operated this summer, reasonably confident they’ll be targeting these areas in the next window(s).

Doing a good job at the rebuild so far.

We’ve needed energy and mobility in the midfield for 4/5 years. The fact he’s come in and changed it around in one transfer window is credit to him and makes you wonder why none of the previous managers were able to address such a glaring issue when he’s done it so quickly.

Addressed the issues at centre back as well. Solid spine through the centre of the pitch now when everyone is fit.

Now the glaring issue is in the creativity/goals in midfield and the wide forwards. Given how he and Thelwell have operated this summer, reasonably confident they’ll be targeting these areas in the next window(s).

Doing a good job at the rebuild so far.
It seems the turn around has as much to do with footballing people making footballing decisions. Would like to think Frank may have had some influence on the powers that be understanding that.
Simply throwing money at the likes of Scneiderlin, Sig, Gomes in the belief that would bring us up with the 'big boys was deeply naive, continuing to stand by their decisions was deeply arrogant. Trying to manage their own cluelessness by bringing in Koeman and Walsh, Carlo and Benetiz and Brands to sort their mess without the means just compounded the problems.
Footballing wisdom will tell you money isn't the answer first up. There has been enough playing and coaching quality come through the club and it just got worse.
Footballing wisdom will tell you Sig and Gomes were not only not the answer to solving the problems, they were in the way, as were others.
Footballing wisdom would tell you to sort the midfield and defence with leaders, characters and a blend of experience and youth. You spend the money if you have it after that culture has changed ie you dont need much money to make change.
Change in spirit and purpose takes time to bed in. If Frank and the team continue this way they'll have laid foundations for a crack at titles and Europe.
Hopefully the club has learnt a lesson of two and doesn't wet the bed at the first sign of promise, again

It seems the turn around has as much to do with footballing people making footballing decisions. Would like to think Frank may have had some influence on the powers that be understanding that.
Simply throwing money at the likes of Scneiderlin, Sig, Gomes in the belief that would bring us up with the 'big boys was deeply naive, continuing to stand by their decisions was deeply arrogant. Trying to manage their own cluelessness by bringing in Koeman and Walsh, Carlo and Benetiz and Brands to sort their mess without the means just compounded the problems.
Footballing wisdom will tell you money isn't the answer first up. There has been enough playing and coaching quality come through the club and it just got worse.
Footballing wisdom will tell you Sig and Gomes were not only not the answer to solving the problems, they were in the way, as were others.
Footballing wisdom would tell you to sort the midfield and defence with leaders, characters and a blend of experience and youth. You spend the money if you have it after that culture has changed ie you dont need much money to make change.
Change in spirit and purpose takes time to bed in. If Frank and the team continue this way they'll have laid foundations for a crack at titles and Europe.
Hopefully the club has learnt a lesson of two and doesn't wet the bed at the first sign of promise, again
Great post mate. Definitely seems the footballing department worked well together in the summer, it’s almost like the director of football and the manager are on the same page. What a difference, you’re right, can’t give all the credit to Frank for that.

Honestly feel if we got any player of quality upfront last window we'd be on the cusp of something.
Yeah shame we didn’t get Kudus. Again, reason to be hopeful that we’re identifying the right type of players who’d improve the weak parts of the team. A really top creator/eye for goal and we’d be a pretty decent team.

Don’t have huge expectations for this season, we’re starting from a low base. If he can continue keeping the team solid and hard to beat then that’ll give us something to build on. Next summer if we have another good targeted window adding the players who can unlock defences - we could be a decent team.

A plan at long last.

Agreed. However, as a Blue since 1969, I was a bit uncomfortable with the prolonged lap of honour after a 1-0 home league win against West Ham.

Delighted with the win, but there are 31 more league matches to play.

I love his passion, but Frank, a simple gesture of appreciation to each side of the ground would be sufficient.

Be clear, I am very happy with the direction he is taking us, but let's keep our feet and heads firmly in the reality.
I have to disagree. No need to play down an important first win and a good performance. We've been understated for too long, saying things like 'greeting buses is kopite behaviour' etc. We've seen what releasing the passion has done since FL came in and we can be proud of the club and it seems he is too. It was just one more example of FL making sure we understood that he's buzzing with it too, and grateful for the passion and support of the crowd. Long may it continue.
Of course we have to keep our feet on the ground, but celebrating the important wins we do get has nothing to do with that. They are not mutually exclusive

If Frank turns us around, he'll be the next big thing on the managerial circuit and not just in this country. Remember he can get by in spanish from his first marriage to a senorita.

Status
Not open for further replies.