2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one will ever know who or why McNeil & Maupay where brought in.

My guess is ( other than hush money for Burnley ) McNeill was brought in to replace Townsend & Maupay to replace Rondon.

We were very close to getting Kudus & possibly Mudryk .
Plus the interest in Brereton & Gykorres , so the problems have been identified.

If there is one very big mistake made it is putting too much faith in having Dominic Calvert-Lewin available.
But the problem persists and needs sorting very quickly.
I would add a Second big mistake to that, cos even if Dom had magically come back in immaculate health/condition you still need a perfectly adequate replacement no matter who you are. And we have neither !!!!

We should of learnt something from the whole 'Mina' debacle by now.

So you're telling me that this is a sport where coaches don't matter?

I doubt it.
You can’t coach Neal Maupay to turn into a 20 goal a season striker, the same way you won’t make Dwight McNeil a dynamic winger.

They’ll work on patterns of play, getting space or overloading certain areas - but in the middle of the game is when that goes out of the window and you’re relying on the skill/composure/awareness of the player. There’s a reason we’re struggling when you look at where the majority of our players have come from
I mean, you can.

Eddie Howe, for example, has improved Newcastle's players. Pep improves every player he's worked with... Klopp is an incredible coach. But much less prominent managers have also improved players - it's a big part of the job.

Our midfielders, two of them signed in the summer (Garner hasn't been playing), has been badly underperforming recently too. Who's that on?

It can be true that Everton do need better attackers - they absolutely do - and that Lampard hasn't been doing enough to improve them. We know he can improve players because he's done it before, some even here at Everton. He got Iwobi playing with confidence, he handed Gordon trust (maybe too much) and knew how to get the best out of Richy too.

Everything needs to improve from an attacking perspective, from recruitment through to coaching/a plan to get us to goal.
this is where I sort of agree and disagree. There’s only so much you can coach, before the burden of responsibility falls into the player.

Take Gueye and Onana, the amount of times they’ve been caught in possession because they’ve taken a second or two too long. Gray and Gordon, the times they’ve got into brilliant positions and chose the wrong pass, or decided to take that extra touch.

I’ll agree that Lampard certainly needs to improve our patterns of play, but I also lay blame at the quality of our players. Some of them are really really poor.

Gordon has started to believe his own hype; Onana is struggling with the pace of the game, Gray is just Gray, his career highlights why he’s here, Mykelenko is really showing his weaknesses going forward.

We’ve forgone a lot of quality in this team

You can’t coach Neal Maupay to turn into a 20 goal a season striker, the same way you won’t make Dwight McNeil a dynamic winger.

They’ll work on patterns of play, getting space or overloading certain areas - but in the middle of the game is when that goes out of the window and you’re relying on the skill/composure/awareness of the player. There’s a reason we’re struggling when you look at where the majority of our players have come from

this is where I sort of agree and disagree. There’s only so much you can coach, before the burden of responsibility falls into the player.

Take Gueye and Onana, the amount of times they’ve been caught in possession because they’ve taken a second or two too long. Gray and Gordon, the times they’ve got into brilliant positions and chose the wrong pass, or decided to take that extra touch.

I’ll agree that Lampard certainly needs to improve our patterns of play, but I also lay blame at the quality of our players. Some of them are really really poor.

Gordon has started to believe his own hype; Onana is struggling with the pace of the game, Gray is just Gray, his career highlights why he’s here, Mykelenko is really showing his weaknesses going forward.

We've done nothing and are all out of ideas

tbf Chris - I know it's a different post you replied to - but we aren't needing Maupay to be a 20-goal a season striker. no club outside of the top six has one of them, so we need to get out of this idea we need one of those. We just need players to score goals and part of that is working on ways to get to goal and on a consistent basis. If that is too hard from open play, then improve set-pieces, find little margins.

Maupay can score goals, but he's not the type of striker we needed. I think we ran before we could walk in that regard; we needed a player to be Dom's folly, not a complete alternative to change the way we play.

on your actual reply to me

- Surely both are true? We can't let him fully off the hook mate. Yes, we need better players, I'm with you there, and better players tend to pick things up quicker. That being said, if you look at Lampard's other teams, he was always a good manager when it came to build up, setting up a team and finding a way to pass through the first third. But from then he always has seemed to rely on individuality and ultimately unless you have the very best players it'll only get you so far. So IMO that is something he can improve on - him and his coaching staff.

But yes, overall the team has pretty much zero quality in the attack, as a unit that is. We have a striker who relies on others to create chances for him - which is fine, because he's good at finishing them when they're in the box for him - but a) he can't stay fit and b) we have one player who can create chances on a consistent basis and they aren't the kind of chances Dom thrives off...

We're reaping what we've sewn not just with the reckless spending, but then letting certain managers and certain board members rip the team of any quality either because they didn't like the players or because we needed a quick buck.

We have Dwight McNeil, Neil Maupay, Demarai Gray, Anthony Gordon and Alex Iwobi has our main attacking threat outside of Dom

They contributed 75 goals in over 400 top flight games, and they are expected to have us tearing teams apart.

We have crap players with no threat
Tearing teams apart is not the expectation. I'm looking for literally 1 goal per game. This is not a high bar to clear.

tbf Chris - I know it's a different post you replied to - but we aren't needing Maupay to be a 20-goal a season striker. no club outside of the top six has one of them, so we need to get out of this idea we need one of those. We just need players to score goals and part of that is working on ways to get to goal and on a consistent basis. If that is too hard from open play, then improve set-pieces, find little margins.

Maupay can score goals, but he's not the type of striker we needed. I think we ran before we could walk in that regard; we needed a player to be Dom's folly, not a complete alternative to change the way we play.

on your actual reply to me

- Surely both are true? We can't let him fully off the hook mate. Yes, we need better players, I'm with you there, and better players tend to pick things up quicker. That being said, if you look at Lampard's other teams, he was always a good manager when it came to build up, setting up a team and finding a way to pass through the first third. But from then he always has seemed to rely on individuality and ultimately unless you have the very best players it'll only get you so far. So IMO that is something he can improve on - him and his coaching staff.

But yes, overall the team has pretty much zero quality in the attack, as a unit that is. We have a striker who relies on others to create chances for him - which is fine, because he's good at finishing them when they're in the box for him - but a) he can't stay fit and b) we have one player who can create chances on a consistent basis and they aren't the kind of chances Dom thrives off...

We're reaping what we've sewn not just with the reckless spending, but then letting certain managers and certain board members rip the team of any quality either because they didn't like the players or because we needed a quick buck.
I’m under new illusion that the quality in this team has been ripped out and replaced with subpar players, players that I wouldn’t want if we went down.

The recruitment has been beyond shambolic and that’s what will send us down; there’s only so much defending you can do. If there’s nothing up top then your toast.

A goal every game is the minimum for any group. If the manager can't get there he's not fit for the division.
But the players prove they’re not capable of that, the data (which you live) shows that.

We had Richarlison last year who regularly scored double digits, he kept us up.

No manager in the world is getting these scoring regularly, they’re not good enough. That’s just a fact unfortunately, a lot of us said it in the summer and we are being proven right

The players were not at the standard to score enough goals to win us games

But the players prove they’re not capable of that, the data (which you live) shows that.

We had Richarlison last year who regularly scored double digits, he kept us up.

No manager in the world is getting these scoring regularly, they’re not good enough. That’s just a fact unfortunately, a lot of us said it in the summer and we are being proven right

The players were not at the standard to score enough goals to win us games
You’ll get no argument from me about our players being crap, HOWEVER:

What has Frank done to get us scoring? He brought in old heads to organise his defence for him. He signed off on a new midfield. He signed off on McNeil and Maupay, regardless of what you might think of their quality. I actually think they could do a half decent job if used right but he’s tried to plug them into Richy and Dom shaped holes and hope for the best.

There isn’t a single area of our team, shape or style of play that anyone can point to and say (positively) “coaching did that”.

Lampard has tried to get the players to do his job for him and when it hasn’t worked he’s thrown his hands up and said “that’s that, then”.

We could re-sign the actual Richarlison and somehow get Dom back to 100% and we still would have trouble because now we have a defence that can’t play any other way than on the edge of our box. We can’t just keep signing players and hope they, by themselves, are the answer.

We NEED someone who can coach these disparate parts of a team into something cohesive and - while I hope he proves me wrong in the coming weeks and months - I’m more or less convinced by this point that Lampard isn’t that guy.

What has Frank done to get us scoring? He brought in old heads to organise his defence for him. He signed off on a new midfield. He signed off on McNeil and Maupay, regardless of what you might think of their quality. I actually think they could do a half decent job if used right but he’s tried to plug them into Richy and Dom shaped holes and hope for the best.

There isn’t a single area of our team, shape or style of play that anyone can point to and say (positively) “coaching did that”.

Lampard has tried to get the players to do his job for him and when it hasn’t worked he’s thrown his hands up and said “that’s that, then”.

We could re-sign the actual Richarlison and somehow get Dom back to 100% and we still would have trouble because now we have a defence that can’t play any other way than on the edge of our box. We can’t just keep signing players and hope they, by themselves, are the answer.

We NEED someone who can coach these disparate parts of a team into something cohesive and - while I hope he proves me wrong in the coming weeks and months - I’m more or less convinced by this point that Lampard isn’t that guy.
I really don’t know.

Ancelotti couldn’t get us scoring when we lost Dom, Richie and James; he had to change his entire way of playing to sitting deep and springing on the counter. Think back to all those away games we won

Fat Sack made the situation worse by shelving 2 creative players and replacing them with actual crap.

And this summer we made it even worse by adding McNeil.

For me, he follows Ancelottis method. Absorb pressure, real defensive structure and try and nick one in the break. The football through the lines ain’t going to work.

I really don’t know.

Ancelotti couldn’t get us scoring when we lost Dom, Richie and James; he had to change his entire way of playing to sitting deep and springing on the counter. Think back to all those away games we won

Fat Sack made the situation worse by shelving 2 creative players and replacing them with actual crap.

And this summer we made it even worse by adding McNeil.

For me, he follows Ancelottis method. Absorb pressure, real defensive structure and try and nick one in the break. The football through the lines ain’t going to work.
This is exactly where we are at the moment.

The only way it changes is better options up front where we lack any real quality.

That’s not entirely true, we were playing higher up the pitch earlier in the season, especially at home. I don’t think the team went into a retreat and low block in the derby. We haven’t been clinical enough in front of goal in key moments. we are playing deeper now and players not gambling getting forward. This is partly due to getting caught in transition and been opened up. What I’m trying to say is the team has lacked confidence since the Leicester game and it Is the coaches responsibility to sort that. But that’s not only tactics that is also man management. It’s a tough one because we all want points on the board and it might be a case of winning ugly. We have the defence and midfield to move up the table but we have to take more chance to win games starting tonight.

No one will ever know who or why McNeil & Maupay where brought in.

My guess is ( other than hush money for Burnley ) McNeill was brought in to replace Townsend & Maupay to replace Rondon.

We were very close to getting Kudus & possibly Mudryk .
Plus the interest in Brereton & Gykorres , so the problems have been identified.

If there is one very big mistake made it is putting too much faith in having Dominic Calvert-Lewin available.
But the problem persists and needs sorting very quickly.
My guess is that Maupay was bought as a pound land Richalison bring some snide and and 8-9 goals a season playing off Dcl.
He was not bought to play uptop by himself.
McNeill was bought to provide crosses and set peices to Dcl.
Unfortuanely we have purchased a side designed around a single focal point of a Uber athletic centre forward. When he isn’t fit the whole system falls apart. He is also pretty irreplaceable in our budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.