2021/22 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will definitely have to change the way we play away, he has to make us hard to beat like we did v City and try and hit a team on the break when they put more men forward.

He will definitely have to change the way we play away, he has to make us hard to beat like we did v City and try and hit a team on the break when they put more men forward.
He wants to put his style on things which I get and Frank seems like one of those guys who is aiming to coach players to fit his way rather than pick a formation to suit the squad. However given our rag tag bunch of misfits I feel he would be better trying to just play a basic system, keep it simple. Its very gravy lord but it would get some points on the board. Trying to coach the players to fit a formation (3-4-3 which we have seen in games) is something better done in pre season when there is more time to drill players over and over until it sinks in.

While it would be ridiculous to suggest he should be sacked, the amount of people saying we should stick with him regardless of what happens is just silly. He will have had enough games to put it right, if he can't get the job done then its bye bye

I mean it was either him or Vitor, I think we came away in good shape.
I don't think we've missed out or anything, but I wasn't put out by the prospect of Pereira. He's experienced enough, and I even wondered if him being a bit of a character could work in the short-term.

I haven't got it in for Lampard at all, but he strikes me as more of an ex-player having a go than a proper manager.

Ultimately, though, it's moot because the club hierarchy is clueless, and any appointment is going to be a reflection of that. You've only got to look at what a circus the recruitment process was to see that anyone coming here is walking into a mess. Compare it to how effortlessly Leeds handled replacing Bielsa last week, and if anything, it shows how desperate Lampard and Pereira must have been to put themselves through the embarrassment of a protracted public interview process that even Rooney thought was beneath him.

on the other hand Lampard alludes to not doing a high defensive line, but that defenders started venturing themselves into the space for the midfielders. this created chaos in our organisation.

What the problem of changing managers is we always have players that are bought to the tactic flavor of the day. Keane being point, he got a contract extension from carlo because Carlo figured out we need to play in a low compact block on the counter. Now we have Lamps who wants quite the opposite. This quickly finds the limitations of Keane.

I like Frank, and i was very critical first but lets give him time. Last night was a sure write off and now he knows what DCL, Keane, coleman simply cannot do, and that they drag the entire team down. I thought allan, doucoure, gordon and richy did okay. They ran their socks off. Vdb, kenny and brantwaite a little less.

I fi was lampard id give Alli a spot at the 9, or rondon, or go back to richy. The front needs to do stuff with the ball to make the others work. Alli can hold the ball and has some clever passes that dcl couldnt dream of after 3 days in the old hacienda. Sunday we need to deliver. Keep the faith.

Yep I like Frank a lot too but literally every manager knows Keane can't play a high line. I didn't watch the game, just some extended highlights so I can't really comment on it too much, but it seems spurs bypassed our midfield way too easily every time.

Last edited:
That's just not Lampard's style (and that is not meant as an insult to Lampard). If we wanted someone in to set us up to defend tightly then we should've appointed someone to do that. No one on our shortlist had a track record of doing that. Which reflects the fact that there is absolutely no strategic thinking on the football side. Not from the decision makers (Moshiri, Kenwright) at least.

For this season, we have to adapt to the opposition, because there are going to be stronger teams and you can't just go into every game thinking you get more possession and playing the other team off the park. It's not Chelsea. Early signs still point to Frank being a great manager, he definitely got this one wrong, but the focus has to be trying to get good performances and results and not get blown out.

I had no issue with the 1-0 loss to Man City, just a bad mistake that cost us a goal, but the Spurs game looks to me we got the team and tactics wrong.

Tbf Zat it is bad though.

Patterson's made 16 senior starts, 15 of them in Scotland, over 2 years.

Mykolenko is such a downgrade on what we had there but away from that, with everything happening atm is he right to play.

Branthwaite - yeah, maybe time to give him a run.

Godfrey was pretty shocking this season when fit even if with caveats to that.

I mean to me its clear

Coleman or Patterson
Keane or Branthwaite
Holgate or Godfrey
Kenny or Mykolenko

Patterson Godfrey Branthwaire Mykolenko

Every day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.