Forward Thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToffeeDan

in memoriam - 1961-2023
Here's one (in BBC Masterchef / Blue Peter fashion) I posted earlier (on RBM) - feel free to disagree:

Leighton Baines: Going to go a little bit off-ball here and propose a sea-change. Things really aren't working out right now on both sides of the ball, certainly not the results (even if we call it 3-1-1 against the teams we can beat & the fact that next eleven games only contains one highly-likely-to-lose fixture with a visit to The Emirates) but here's the thought. Give it the next three games (Wolves & Stoke at home plus a winnable trip to Bolton) and if things don't improve (at least 6 points say) we need to regroup after that tricky game to Arsenal and change things around, dramatically. Here's that idea! Move Leighton Baines into the left-sided berth in the midfield & draft in either Bidwell (risky) or Neville (less so) at left back. The positive, forward contribution of Baines is being thwarted in two ways - firstly our porous defence is putting us at a disadvantage from the start - we're basically conceding ground & the score far too often before we're in the game and secondly the undoubted talents he has in assisting the attack is partially being negated by both the opponents blocking his progress (example - using Ji Sung Park to keep him very busy in the game versus Man U) or simply we're too busy hoofing it up to the single man up front & not retaining possession.

So, some of the midfielders need a kick up the proverbial. We need a midfield line up something like Royston - Fellaini - Rodwell - Baines with a front TWO (Saha with Cahill or Vellios) - the option to use the likes Osman, Billy or Coleman as back up remains. Come January we might secure Landon but in the meantime we're woeful in many areas of the pitch. Baines offers us at least as good an option as Spurs have with Bale, himself a converted left-back.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
If Neville was fit and in form it might have legs, but unfortunately Pip doesn't have legs at the moment.
Don't really know much about the lad Forshaw to be honest. Interesting idea though.

If Baines wasnt at left back we would get ripped to bits in that position. We are criminally short of cover there and only Baines' excellent fitness record has covered this up.

Sounds plausible. I think Baines at LM has been mooted before. Maybe though he prefers raiding from deep? With a slow paced LB we might end up weakening that flank.

Sorry, I guess I meant Bidwell. My understanding is he's done well for the ressies. Like I suggested, if it is workable at all Neville is the best option. In any event the next THREE games are crucial before any panic buttons might need pressing (assuming the next 3 games as well as the trip to The Emirates go badly).

Yeah, why not! Bainsey could do a great job at LM. He's quick, can dribble, can cross, can defend.

All those cans! Could he do a can can?

if that taffytit Bale can do it ----------

Hibbert Jagielka Heitinga Distin

?

Or maybe even the 3 at the back option thats getting thrown about lately with Baines and Coleman as Wing backs.

Never mind all the swapping around of the current playing squad which will result in even more players being out of position - patchwork quilt comes to mind with this idea.
Let's just move Mr Moyes out and start all over again, or at the very least have him replace Steve Round as his number 2 - Alan Irvine again anybody? After all what have we got to lose? We are as bad now as dour Walter's last few months in the job, and increasingly Moyes is reminding me of a certain Mike Walker.
I have publicly expressed my opinion many times over the last few years that Everton would NEVER win anything under Moyes but that we wouldn't ever get relegated either. I still stand by the former but I am now having serious doubts about the latter!

Contraversially i would keep LB at LBack and give Billy a good run at LMid, i know hes not universally adored on here but i DO believe he will come good with an extended run.
My back 4 coleman jags distin baines
Mid 4 drenthe Felli Rodders Billy
Front 2 Saha Velios

Status
Not open for further replies.