"For clubs like Everton, frustration mounts in watching foes spend big"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy supporting Everton because of those factors though. I don't want us to be able to carelessly throw cash around, assembling a collection of random individuals who occasionally meet up on a Saturday or Sunday and pretend they like each other.

I want a team.

A team that has been forged and hammered and tempered and wrought from deep and considered scouting. A group of men who are prepared to bleed, sweat and exert themselves for a shirt that is steeped in history, in front of a set of fans in a stadium that echoes with legendary nights.

I have no room to comment here. I've been a fan a matter of months.

But I support Everton because of who they are, who they have been and who they can be. Not in spite of that.
/ thread

Exactly

maybe the Lukaku transfer was for an undisclosed amount as was Luiz's so they didn't include them, would be pretty school boyish to miss off 2 of the biggest transfers of the summer. There is no conspiracy against Everton from the media, they kiss the butt of Liverpool, Man Utd etc yes, I don't think they have much of an opinion of the rest, we are just one of the other 15 clubs in the EPL and not worth reporting on except in relation to the perceived big 5/6...this usually being to link one of our players to them

I very much agree with a lot of what is written in the OP. I find the glass ceiling that we have been pressed up against for the last 10 years to be incredibly frustrating, and the worst thing is that it is showing no signs of going away. I think it will be like this for at least another 10 years, possibly even 20 more years. Meaning we would have had 30 years of mid-table finishes.

With regards the media's portrayal of Everton. It is worth bearing in mind that Kenwright and Moyes DELIBERATELY spent 10 years trying to talk Everton down as a small, plucky club that has no chance of competing with the elite. Moyes did it because it provided him with a very convenient excuse, which was used to enhance his supposed 'achievements' given our oh so publicised limitations. Kenwright did it in order to reduce Evertonian's expectations, in order to take the pressure of himself.

I understand people revelling in the club's relative success against the odds, but I can't help but be depressed by the fact I'll probably never see Everton win the league.

To be fair though, most football fans will never see their team win the league, or even a trophy.

Most football fans will never get to witness their team play in the premiership.

There are people who dont really care too much about football and are only interested in watching their team win, because to them, football is merely a movie, so why watch a bad movie? Then there are the rest of us, who actually enjoy the sport and the hope that one day your team will win at the highest level. But it's the hope that most of us enjoy football or indeed any sport for.

maybe the Lukaku transfer was for an undisclosed amount as was Luiz's so they didn't include them, would be pretty school boyish to miss off 2 of the biggest transfers of the summer. There is no conspiracy against Everton from the media, they kiss the butt of Liverpool, Man Utd etc yes, I don't think they have much of an opinion of the rest, we are just one of the other 15 clubs in the EPL and not worth reporting on except in relation to the perceived big 5/6...this usually being to link one of our players to them
It wasn't undisclosed; we announced it on the site as £28 million.

I enjoy supporting Everton because of those factors though. I don't want us to be able to carelessly throw cash around, assembling a collection of random individuals who occasionally meet up on a Saturday or Sunday and pretend they like each other.

I want a team.

A team that has been forged and hammered and tempered and wrought from deep and considered scouting. A group of men who are prepared to bleed, sweat and exert themselves for a shirt that is steeped in history, in front of a set of fans in a stadium that echoes with legendary nights.

I have no room to comment here. I've been a fan a matter of months.

But I support Everton because of who they are, who they have been and who they can be. Not in spite of that.

This is exactly what drew me to Everton when I got into watching EPL. I didn't want to be a fan of just any team of course, but I wasn't going to go with what was to be expected because of $ and draw in America (Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Spurs). And of course playing a very attractive brand of football with a team assembled from some very young but promising talent, loanees, solid position players, and aging veterans made it hard to not say Everton would be my team.

Don't care though mate. If they want to ignore us, then let them. It achieves frig all apart from making themselves look either incompetent or unprofessional.

The lack of media coverage (any or positive) can adversely affect club sponsorship and thus the additional revenue the club can take in.

When people moan about the likes of Spurs having kits deals that pay them £10m a year when we get £6m a year off Umbro, this is why. The number of column inches you get, the number of mentions, the shots of players in EFC kits on BT Sport and Sky in various graphics packages and videos, coverage in the papers.... all it adds up. That is how ad rates and sponsorship rates/worth is tallied.

It's not just our pride that is being hurt here. The lack of media coverage has a real effect on our bottom line.

Last edited:
I am sorry but it is hard not to feel there is an agenda against the club. We were ridiculed last year that we had 3 loans in (2 of which were exceptional) that gave us added impetus and quality to the side.
Fast forward one year, 2 of those loans have been made permanent, one of which smashed our transfer record and was one of the biggest transfer dealings of the summer. We are now be ridiculed for getting 33 year old eto'o in on a free, whereas the RS has spent 4m on a 32 year old former painter. I can guarantee if the RS how got eto'o, the words 'astute' and 'inspired' would have been banded about.
Other fans of other clubs that I speak to (spurs, rovers, city) have admiration and respect for us as a football club. It's just a pity that the national press don't afford us the same.

pg-66-lukaku-getty.jpg
You'd think you couldn't forget a guy like him. It's better that we don't get too much hype. I think he'll do better with people saying what a waste he was, and how he didn't even want to fight for a game. He'll show them all, and let's be honest if he was bought by Arsenal, we'd be hearing about how he'll be the next Thierry Henry.

Everton had a net spend this window.

However we did so based on previous incomings and the new BT money.

Over a three year trend we still have cash in reserve and the net spend was lower and virtually marginal.

However the manager put that scenario in place from last year by not spending in January and negative-net spend last summer.

This means we are not going to be pushed over the edge in cashflow terms. We had a comfortable level of spending on a three year trend.

Money still available too in January if needed.

EFC should not of agreed to match Aston Villa's RIDICULOUS £8million fee for Cleverly.

They are a nonsense club in finances terms.
Especially considering we'll get him in the summer for nothing. Roberto's a very patient man. Let's players know that he values them, and will get them when he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.