Homepage Update: For Allardyce, it was always November. And that was the Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Keoghan

Player Valuation: £50k
Jim Keoghan submitted an update to GrandOldTeam's homepage

For Allardyce, it was always November. And that was the Problem
allardyce-1024x461.jpg

When Allardyce was appointed Everton manager, although the majority of Blues shuddered at his arrival, there was also a sense of understanding amongst some. Looking back on the season now, it is easy to believe that the club was never in danger. And that is probably true. Despite its claims to be the ‘Greatest League in the World’, the Premier League is clearly a bit [Poor language removed]. If a side as woeful as Everton can finish eighth, then it’s evident that the clubs beneath can’t be that good.

samallardyceefc.jpg

But just because the inevitability of Everton’s survival seems obvious now, it doesn’t mean that there was a significant proportion of the fan base, myself included, who weren’t convinced that the drop was a possibility back in November. The side was atrocious during the first third of the campaign. Porous, uncreative and determined to make every other team look good, that period could stake a claim to be one of the worst in Everton’s modern history.

Of course there was mitigation. There hadn’t really been a pre-season. The Europa League was taking its toll. There had been too much squad upheaval. The fixture list had been unprecedentedly cruel. But mitigation didn’t help us. For a variety of factors, the Blues were one of the worst sides in the division, bereft of confidence and facing a long hard slog to get themselves out of the mire.

‘The Fear’ had gripped many of us (likely those who had lived through the dark days of the 1990s and early 2000s). We could smell disaster in the air, recognise its hallmark on the pitch, we had been here before and knew what it looked and smelt like.

It didn’t matter that Europa would soon be over. That the squad would settle. That the transfer window, and the tantalising prospect of a new forward, was at hand. That the fixture list would inevitably become kinder. All we could see was danger and the pitfalls that lay ahead. Christmas was on the horizon, the period that can make or break a season. For those laid heavy by pessimism, a bleak mid winter could spell doom.

RooneyEurope-1.jpg

Within that context, for many fans, the Allardyce appointment made sense. For those gripped by ‘The Fear’ his arrival represented three things. First, an acknowledgment by the club that they understood the predicament Everton were in. Second, that the team now had somebody with a track record to guiding clubs out of the [Poor language removed]. And third, by taking him off a rival, we had ensured that one of the clubs around us would be denied an easy exit from the dog fight.

The sense of certainty that having a manager provides and the arrival of a manager well versed in the stresses and vexations that come with struggles at the bottom had an immediate impact. Pretty quickly matters on the pitch became more positive. A steelier and better organised Everton began picking up more points and by the end of the year, with the Christmas fixtures nearly over, the club stood ninth; a healthy distance between Everton and those around the bottom who had briefly been peers.

And that’s the problem when it comes to Allardyce. The crisis was too simply averted. All the side really needed was a short-term boost, a shot-in-the-arm to ensure that when all those mitigating circumstances turned in the club’s favour, Everton would be in a position to capitalise on the opportunity.

evertonteamGOT.jpg

Once that happened, the club inevitably rose to its natural position. Any connection between Everton and ‘relegation’ stopped being talked about after Christmas. The panic subsided. ‘The Fear’ abated.

But for Allardyce, nothing changed. This is a manager who has spent much of his recent career in near constant crisis mode. And that’s because he has managed sides that are more likely to reside in the bottom half of the table and who are often in dire trouble when he has arrived. When in charge of the likes of Palace, Sunderland and Blackburn, Allardyce has had to fight all season long to avoid the drop, developing a tactical approach and managerial mindset rooted in crisis.

That wasn’t necessary at Everton. Between January and May, there was no need to employ this ‘siege mentality’. Confidence was back, the side was better balanced and there were no distractions. What existed was an opportunity to think in the long term. Fringe players could have been introduced, youngsters blooded, recent recruits given time.

But Allardyce could not get beyond November in his mind. The template he applied while at his previous clubs was applied even when it was obvious to all that that such a method was unnecessary at Everton. The club approached the season’s run-in as though it was in the midst of a fight for survival, rather than seeing if it would finish seventh.

You can’t blame Allardyce for this. He is what he is. And we all knew that when he was appointed. As a manager he has become shaped by his experience. And that experience is rooted in crisis. But without the crisis to justify it, his approach just looked out of place and strange, an ill fit for a team such as Everton.

allardycesam.jpg

The appointment of Allardyce perhaps illustrates the difference between where Everton are and where we want the club to be. No ‘elite’ club finding themselves in a similar position to the Blues back in November would have acted in the same way. You could not imagine the likes of Arsenal, City or Chelsea turning to figures such as, Allardyce, Moyes or Pulis if their season had started as equally poorly. Despite the club’s best efforts, Everton have not yet reached the point where we believe in our hearts that relegation is an impossibility (which is what fans of elite clubs believe).

Decades of frustration, dashed hopes and times of genuine distress have played havoc with the Everton psyche. As fans and a club, we can, as this season illustrated, go from outlandish optimism to unfounded pessimism in the blink of an eye. As understandable as this is, such an outlook is not one shared by those who follow the ‘Big Six’. If we want to avoid another Allardyce and a season like this, that ‘November’ mentality will have to change. If it doesn’t, then we might be doomed to repeat the same mistakes again.

Chelsea collapsed completely under Mourinho and were in a worse situation than us when he was sacked.

Did Chelsea go for a Pulis or Allardyce? Did they hell - didn't matter where they were in the league, they went for quality in Conte as they understood the message a stupid appointment would send.

Moshiri decided to go for the nuclear option instead - an obvious disaster of an appointment that would 'save' us from relegation (ridiculous statement in itself - we were never in danger of it) and done because our owner is an incompetent fool and has proven such time and time again.

Whole thing is infuriating as it was all totally avoidable. Because of Moshiri we have relegated our stature on the footballing stage.

We tried to get Silva first, that didn't pan out and in the meantime we got worse and worse to the point we had to get Sam in. Not many decent managers would be queuing up to take us on when we looked the worst team in the league. We could have easily been in trouble had we stayed on the same course. What's done is done.

Spot on every bit of it, other than his obviously disregard for fan relations and downright arrogance, I don't blame sam philosophy

its like when a guy has been in jail all his life, or spent 15 years at war in the army, its very difficult to settle back into civvy life, and like sam, he was born (metaphorically speaking) into a fire, and doesn't know how to act when he is in the cool

Players have no excuses now. 5th manager in recent times. There is a long list of players. And very few of them are good enough. They have proven that. Manager needs to be backed now. Given time. Given funds to replace that $*#% in our squad.

We tried to get Silva first, that didn't pan out and in the meantime we got worse and worse to the point we had to get Sam in. Not many decent managers would be queuing up to take us on when we looked the worst team in the league. We could have easily been in trouble had we stayed on the same course. What's done is done.

of course they would, make a mess of it, get the bullet,contract bought out, pocket a fortune, and that's the worst case scenario....

Chelsea collapsed completely under Mourinho and were in a worse situation than us when he was sacked.

Did Chelsea go for a Pulis or Allardyce? Did they hell - didn't matter where they were in the league, they went for quality in Conte as they understood the message a stupid appointment would send.

Moshiri decided to go for the nuclear option instead - an obvious disaster of an appointment that would 'save' us from relegation (ridiculous statement in itself - we were never in danger of it) and done because our owner is an incompetent fool and has proven such time and time again.

Whole thing is infuriating as it was all totally avoidable. Because of Moshiri we have relegated our stature on the footballing stage.
It was a sheer panic appointment and we got what we deserved by it!

Thanks for this, well written and spot on for my money.
It was a bad decision at the time and we all knew it to be that. The Board and Owner panicked based on league position, form and inability to secure their chosen successor to Koeman, the clock was ticking. As a recent article said Everton were saved this season by firing Ronko not by hiring the Bisto kid. Let us have today, celebrate or mourn as needed and then tomorrow lets begin rebuilding this club into the powerhouse it should be. The yoke has been lifted from all our shoulders, it is time for the trajectory to change to upwards.

Spot on every bit of it, other than his obviously disregard for fan relations and downright arrogance, I don't blame sam philosophy

its like when a guy has been in jail all his life, or spent 15 years at war in the army, its very difficult to settle back into civvy life, and like sam, he was born (metaphorically speaking) into a fire, and doesn't know how to act when he is in the cool

I think his attitude to fans is amazing , a little bit more humility and a little bit more smoke blown up our behind he might still have a job or at least be leaving with our best wishes . Sam is like a self fulfilling prophecy , he seems to expect to be hated and doesn’t care so ends up being hated .

I’ve seen worse signings , I may have seen worse football and I’ve certainly seen worse results so for me it’s its attitude and behaviour as much as anything that’s cost him .

Maybe Sam thinks I’ll get my big pay off so who cares and that’s his strategy but for a bloke that’s whinged all his life about not getting a ‘big club ‘ he seemed to waste absolutely no time turning his bridges here .

It was a sheer panic appointment and we got what we deserved by it!

Well he did what was expected and I suspect required of him , he steadied the ship and ensured that relegation was never an issue .

I’m not a fan at all by the way but he had a remit and he’s fulfilled it .

Players have no excuses now. 5th manager in recent times. There is a long list of players. And very few of them are good enough. They have proven that. Manager needs to be backed now. Given time. Given funds to replace that $*#% in our squad.

More than a few of them have let manager after manager down , the buck has to stop with them soon .

I think his attitude to fans is amazing , a little bit more humility and a little bit more smoke blown up our behind he might still have a job or at least be leaving with our best wishes . Sam is like a self fulfilling prophecy , he seems to expect to be hated and doesn’t care so ends up being hated .

I’ve seen worse signings , I may have seen worse football and I’ve certainly seen worse results so for me it’s its attitude and behaviour as much as anything that’s cost him .

Maybe Sam thinks I’ll get my big pay off so who cares and that’s his strategy but for a bloke that’s whinged all his life about not getting a ‘big club ‘ he seemed to waste absolutely no time turning his bridges here .

someone said to me in like march he seems to be forcing his position to become untenable to get his pay off without having to work next season

arrogance, unwillingness to try and prove he was the future, alienating the fans etc etc, it fits the bill like, do just enough and then manage myself out

someone said to me in like march he seems to be forcing his position to become untenable to get his pay off without having to work next season

arrogance, unwillingness to try and prove he was the future, alienating the fans etc etc, it fits the bill like, do just enough and then manage myself out

Yeah it’s weird but that’s almost how he comes across . Before we appointed him I never understood why all those Newcastle, West Ham and the rest had such hate for him and although I wouldn’t say I hate him I certainly get it now .

I can also see how the media fall for Sam’s spin because he sells his saviour tag so well , it’s relentless. I don’t listen to talksport but put it on before and some blue dropped a load of Sam stats on the presenters who were obviously defending him and it was basically dead air in response .

Still don't see the need for the blue gradients over all your photos, especially in an editorial setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.