Football Is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here they are!

Yes, I know/knew the hand ball rule prior to that tonight, because it was so well publicised ahead of the season that I read up on them.

Tonight was so obviously a penalty that I knew it was on first replay and I was just annoyed they were delaying giving it because I wanted us to hurry up and obviously miss the penalty so we could get on with going for an equaliser.

I didn't expect it for a moment not to be given.

As for contact, the rules give guidance on that - they are subjective. Some of the guidance is more concrete than others, but generally they are up for interpretation by an official on match day, which is unavoidable. It's why I'm not raging about Richarlison's one, because although I think that was a definite penalty, I can at least square that circle by saying the referee saw it from a different angle/on the run etc. and that it wasn't 'clear and obvious'.

The handball though? Nope. No justification for why that wasn't given, absolutely none.
Yeah I think it should be clarified and made simple - the furthest eligible body part counts as the point for the line, and if the technology can't draw the line properly then it should be scrapped.

I don't think it's impossible to fix VAR for that purpose. It's something that can be technologically applied with no human input if done right.

What we need is for no human input on decisions beyond the official on the pitch.

I totally agree that the usage of VAR needs to be completely reassessed because, in it’s current state, it’s not fit for purpose.

However, I think we also have to accept that it isn’t infallible and there are some decisions, particularly the subjective ones, that it isn’t going to completely remove doubt from.

You can equate it to whatever you like, it won't change the rule. All I've seen so far is the rules you posted, which stated a major advantage needs to be gained. In an attacking sense, they called a major advantage a goal or a goal-scoring opportunity. Naturally, I then look for clear evidence of the denial of a goalscoring opportunity as a result of Alli's arm hitting the ball - there was none.

There was nothing about trajectory of the ball in the rules as far as I saw. Any contact, no matter how slight, would change the trajectory of the ball. What I'm pretty sure they're saying is that the ball's trajectory needs to be changed so significantly that it has a big effect on the game.

I honestly think you're just disagreeing at this point because it's me saying it. You've got form for this.

Because you're not making any sense whatsoever I'm afraid. You're taking one solitary example in an explanation of the rule and bending it every which way to fit a weird argument where it can only be handball if it stops a clear goalscoring opportunity. Which is, of course, not the rule.

But so be it.

I wouldnt say football is dead more so than Everton is dead.

I bet football is pretty freakin good for Leicester, Sheff Utd, Palace, RS, City etc fans.

We are just being ran into the ground and are so bad that 1 poor decision kills us whereas other clubs also get these but have enough to ride out the storm.

Genuinely depressing being a Blue at the moment.

I totally agree that the usage of VAR needs to be completely reassessed because, in it’s current state, it’s not fit for purpose.

However, I think we also have to accept that it isn’t infallible and there are some decisions, particularly the subjective ones, that it isn’t going to completely remove doubt from.
I think the best solution is to just burn down stockley park .

I wouldnt say football is dead more so than Everton is dead.

I bet football is pretty freakin good for Leicester, Sheff Utd, Palace, RS, City etc fans.

We are just being ran into the ground and are so bad that 1 poor decision kills us whereas other clubs also get these but have enough to ride out the storm.

Genuinely depressing being a Blue at the moment.
Off topic. Reported.

You can equate it to whatever you like, it won't change the rule. All I've seen so far is the rules you posted, which stated a major advantage needs to be gained. In an attacking sense, they called a major advantage a goal or a goal-scoring opportunity. Logically, I then look for clear evidence of the denial of a goalscoring opportunity as a result of Alli's arm hitting the ball - there was none.

There was nothing about trajectory of the ball in the rules as far as I saw. Any contact, no matter how slight, would change the trajectory of the ball. What I'm pretty sure they're saying is that the ball's trajectory needs to be changed so significantly that it has a big effect on the game.

This.

100% agree and why I originally said it would’ve been harsh on Spurs had it been given. Even though it clearly hit his hand there’s no disputing that.

And that’s why it was completely different to the last minute Jesus goal vs Spurs that @mikeh72 referred to earlier, which was disallowed because it hit Laporte on the arm, giving City a clear advantage.

It has been somewhat consistent in that case, it’s just not immediately obvious on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
This.

100% agree and why I originally said it would’ve been harsh on Spurs had it been given. Even though it clearly hit his hand there’s no disputing that.

And that’s why it was completely different to the last minute Jesus goal vs Spurs which was disallowed because it hit Laporte on the arm, giving City a clear advantage.

It has been somewhat consistent in that case, it’s just not immediately obvious on this one.

That's not the rule. Bore off.

state of your post history.

How come you’re posting on here when you support Liverpool, mate?

I don’t support Liverpool, I take umbrage to the whole ‘lickle old Everton’ ‘it wouldn’t happen to the RS ( it has)’ ‘everyone hates us’ routine. It’s embarrassing. VAR is ruining football, that’s what I’m most concerned about, there’s no conspiracy, corruption, favouritism, etc etc. Just incompetenc.

Born in 91 so was around for 95 but don’t remember it.

the crest is on my arm permanently and will always be a staunch evertonian but at the minute I’m constantly telling myself that il just watch NFL it the bundesliga (was based in Germany few years back so follow quite fondly) but surely something has to change because at the mo it’s just non stop depressing

I've seen a few shouts in here for people giving up Sky. If you do, tell them why.

Then take your subscription money and go and see a local team. Some of you know, I've been hitting the lower leagues for the past couple of seasons, and I've been 'kin lovin it. Still got my season ticket but barely watched any other PL games. Don't watch MOTD anymore. Can't be arsed with any of it.

VAR is not for football. Its OK for RL and Cricket but not football.

It would be ok if it does what it should, rule out offside goals, ensure red cards are actually red cards and that someone hasn't dived for a pen. You just need consistent decisions because like others have said if it had been at Anfield etc. those two are nailed on pens.

This.

And that’s why it was completely different to the last minute Jesus goal vs Spurs which was disallowed because it hit Laporte on the arm, giving City a clear advantage.

What a load of [Poor language removed]

If it touches the hand it's handball now

Status
Not open for further replies.