Football as We Know It Is Dying

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the first steps in to getting something done would be mass walkouts and boycotts by the 13/14 clubs (hard to know where Newcastle stand with the Saudi ownership, but i'd lean towards including them in the 14).

But I don't think the fanbases of those 14 are strong enough to come together and collaborate in to making that happen.

One of the first steps in to getting something done would be mass walkouts and boycotts by the 13/14 clubs (hard to know where Newcastle stand with the Saudi ownership, but i'd lean towards including them in the 14).

But I don't think the fanbases of those 14 are strong enough to come together and collaborate in to making that happen.
The Premier league functioned in spite of Covid and little to no fans through the turnstiles.
Face it, global TV money is king now.
Empty stadia will harm the Premier League’s product but how long would it take to see any real effect?

It’s headed towards a European Super League followed by a World Super League once football has ‘developed’ further in Africa and Asia.

I’ve watched a couple of the African cup games. The standard is appalling and aside from the home nation (Ivory Coast) there is nobody there watching it. Nigeria (one of the richest and most populous nations in the world) vs Equitorial Guinea (I think) was watched by less than 3,000 in a 50,000 seat stadium. Those there all either had ‘the shirt’ on though or national dress with the *obligatory *drummer(s) (*as is standard in German football) contributing nothing but annoyance a bit like the Portsmouth bell-ringer.

I thought the fan protests against the super league were interesting.

Say if you are a Utd or Liverpool fan - the way things are going then games against international clubs become more frequent than clubs in the same country - are you happy or sad ?

Local rivalry becomes as important as the FA Cup ? 'Quintessential' rather than 'essential' ?

Foreign fans far outnumber locals, even though they might not be at the stadium ?

Chances of local players on your team sheet more and more remote ?

Cost of your ticket to see the next away game becoming a bit ridiculous ?

Maybe all that is fine and you enjoy the spectacle - but it is so far removed from what our great grandparents must have started watching and had pride in.

It's so much to do with international brand that it starts becoming as important as whether you prefer Pepsi or Coca Cola - and, apart form the opportunity for smalltalk, who really cares ?

Perhaps clubs become like the Harlem globetrotters - spectacles on tour for sports entertainment - no tackles guaranteed.

The Premier league functioned in spite of Covid and little to no fans through the turnstiles.
Face it, global TV money is king now.
Empty stadia will harm the Premier League’s product but how long would it take to see any real effect?

It would never work, football clubs are for life, nice idea though, but one thing it wouldn't look good for the brand to see empty stadiums. The PL is in the hands of sky/ Virgen TV and vice versa, if people jibbed their subscriptions then sky might have a change of heart about ignoring/ hiding Evertons protests.

Championship football?
I'm not advocating we get relegated btw.
I’ve come to terms with this now I honestly think it will be probably the better thing for us in the long run but if they could I would go and buy some players now and as soon as feb comes around go into administration as well fook it they can’t hurt us any more go into the championship next season with zero debt we will lose maybe 3 players that we haven’t loaned rebuild and have some fun with no var or the EPL

I’ve come to terms with this now I honestly think it will be probably the better thing for us in the long run but if they could I would go and buy some players now and as soon as feb comes around go into administration as well fook it they can’t hurt us any more go into the championship next season with zero debt we will lose maybe 3 players that we haven’t loaned rebuild and have some fun with no var or the EPL
Administration doesnt cancel all our debts.

We would have to sell every single asset we owned, which is currently the players.

Goodison would be turned into flats and Bramley Moore sold to Taylor Swift who would just do weekly concerts.

Game has been steadily getting worse for years.
Same teams winning everything.
Cap between the top and bottom of the prem growing every year.
VAR is a joke again favouring the so called elite.
Can't even celebrate a goal anymore.
Games ending at the whim of the officials in the var rooms.
The timings of the games, played at mad times and days.
Used to be part of the excitement ,Go the game Saturday get a result and find out how the teams around you did, not wait till midweek to find out.
It really added to the excitement of the day.
The cost is bloody scandalously high .
god help anybody bringing a family the game.
I have lost my love of the game. When I go now it's less and less
I find myself thinking other than seeing the lads it's past its sell buy date.
just to sanatized
Getting like American football to many breaks and lacks the spontaneous excitement.
The raw passion it used to have.
Has be diluted.
To be honest the powers that run the game are on the cusp of killing there own product,
Is it really going to sell a product around the world were certain teams just beat others more or less 9 times out of 10?
More and more of the people
I know are drifting away to be replaced by causal fans , problem with that is as soon as something else catches there eye they will be off there.
Can't blame them either.
The entertainment on show is expensive, rigged and to be honest mostly boring.
If Everton aren't playing I watch the lower league stuff rather than prem as it's more like the game
I used to know.
Football was already on the decline when Sky got their grubby hands on it, but now it's become an absolute joke. I've got a ticket for tomorrow, but I think it will be my last for a while. The problem is the game has become Americanized and dull. What made football enjoyable was the partizan aspect of it, you support your team through thick and thin. Now footba teams are like NFL teams or NBA teams you just wear a jersey as a fashion statement, rather than actual support. A football match isn't a concert, you're there to support your team, or because you love the game. VAR and the appalling punditry infuriates me, nobody holding referees to account. Watching 3 gormless morons hang on every word Dermot Gallagher says even though he's talking nonsense and changed his view on the rules whether it was right for Dalot to get sent off and Nunez to remain on the pitch. Also I'm sick and tired of the ridiculous stage managed events, randomly giving extra minutes to add to the drama. Add to that the crap punditry and journalism and you've got a deadly mix. I'm convinced a lot of games are fixed to keep title races, relegation battles going down to the death. Add to that, players are far too pally with opposition players and it isn't that far off that corruption could happen.

When I go the match now (I have an official membership so go as and when really) it’s more about the social side - pint with your mates. And I still like the general ritual of going the match - the atmosphere both inside and outside the ground, the walk up to the ground.

But as far as the football itself is concerned it’s just dire ….. play acting, FFP, P & S, XG, fans on tv basically acting as pundits…. Basically everything that people above already stated.

Everything’s a drama …. From VAR to FFP.

Favouritism towards the so called big clubs from referees and VAR. How is it even possible for VAR to get a decision wrong? Corruption, that’s the only explanation.

The life soul of the game has been destroyed. I love Everton and always will, but football…. Certainly at the top level , I think I’m starting to genuinely hate it.

The game has been on its arse for a couple of decades now. The introduction of Sky and the Premier League meant that football in the purest form had disappeared.

The biggest thing now is the gap between the “big clubs” and everyone else is unattainable for anyone else to catch up.

It’s like getting 20 runners out to do a marathon, letting a few of them drive 10 miles as a head start before they start running, and making all the others walk to catch them up. The rest are just making up the numbers.

I fall out of love with it more and more by the week and I think once we’ve done a season in BK, I’ll get rid of my ST and start watching Bootle and Marine with my lad. Going to the odd Everton game as a one off.

Hats off to the fans that still go home and away, the club and league don’t deserve that type of commitment when the fans are the bottom of their list of priorities.
Funny you talking about marine I was talking to my lad the other day and we said we would go to one of there games.
Have watched a Bootle game the standard was miles higher than I expected.

Football was already on the decline when Sky got their grubby hands on it, but now it's become an absolute joke. I've got a ticket for tomorrow, but I think it will be my last for a while. The problem is the game has become Americanized and dull. What made football enjoyable was the partizan aspect of it, you support your team through thick and thin. Now footba teams are like NFL teams or NBA teams you just wear a jersey as a fashion statement, rather than actual support. A football match isn't a concert, you're there to support your team, or because you love the game. VAR and the appalling punditry infuriates me, nobody holding referees to account. Watching 3 gormless morons hang on every word Dermot Gallagher says even though he's talking nonsense and changed his view on the rules whether it was right for Dalot to get sent off and Nunez to remain on the pitch. Also I'm sick and tired of the ridiculous stage managed events, randomly giving extra minutes to add to the drama. Add to that the crap punditry and journalism and you've got a deadly mix. I'm convinced a lot of games are fixed to keep title races, relegation battles going down to the death. Add to that, players are far too pally with opposition players and it isn't that far off that corruption could happen.
plus the rubbish kick off times

Status
Not open for further replies.