Five things we learned from City game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we can do a 'five things we learned..' thread every game? For me:

1. Barry, Cleverly and McCarthy should not be starting games together. Unless we are winning then I see no reason they should be on the pitch at the same time.

2. Mirallas. Needs to be in the team. Can't be thrilled at the minute after signing a new deal - should certainly be playing ahead of Del, who looks like he needs a couple of games in the reserves to get up to speed.

3. Barkley shouldn't be taking free kicks. Scored a decent one at Swansea an age ago, but Lukaku should be on them now.

4. Kone. Back to the bench I'm afraid. I've always quite liked him but we must have better options from the start.

5. What we know already - we badly need someone with composure in the final third of the pitch. We have none. Yarmalenko would have been perfect.

Any other suggestions?
1 - disagree. They played great for first half. Also were you saying this after Southampton? Doubt it. Knee jerk reaction this. Cleverly is super industrious.

2- he's obviously not 100%. He'll prob start next game.

3 - partially agree. However he's entitled to try and should be encouraged.

4 - Kone played well and should have not been subbed. Or maybe you were watching a pre season highlight at home today??

5 - we have players with composure but it depends how the rub of the game goes like today. A new signing isn't going to instantly address composure issues. However we need to be offering more than Naismith as a potent threat from the bench.

Why can't it be 4 things we learned or 6 things we learned? It's not because we're pretending to be the Guardian, is it? Mindless gimmick.

We need a genuine left sided midfielder. During the past twelve months we seem to have tried so many players in that position that would not normally play there. As a result the team lacks balance, seems very narrow and looks exposed defensively on our left.

1. Standing off teams is not the way.
2. We need width
3. Standing off teams is not the way.
4. Standing off teams is not the way.
5. Kenwright out

Browning nowhere near ready for the first team squad.

Jesus H.
He was super out of position. At left back.
The only reason he came on was Oviedo wasn't on the bench and Bobby didn't want to put Barry at LB vs Navas.
One of the slowest players in the league vs one of the quickest.
Let the lad play in his position before you write him off.
Christ.

1. Yeah last week was awful when they started together. 90 minutes against the best team in the league just confirmed it.

2. No one has any idea how fit Mirallas is.

3. Has Rom scored from a free kick? Memory fails but if he has it's surely only once.

4. Been boss in 110 minutes played before today. Thought he worked hard down the flank and played some good link up stuff. Let's write him off based on not getting a sniff of goal against City. Sound?

5. Let's see.

Personal view: should be in the chico one, sleep on it before starting a thread.

Cheers for your input. Have no idea how fit Mirallas is. He's been sat on the bench last two weeks. Maybe his leg is hanging off though.

McCarthy needs to do more than just try to break up the opposition play, he needs to do more offensively.
Naismith is not the go-to, impact sub that RM seems to think he is.
Gerard will need significantly longer on the field to have any real impact if he's not going to be a starter.
The loss of Galloway was more significant that anybody could have imagined.
Wish we but one tenth of the disposable revenue that City have... if/when they get de Bruyne, they could be unstoppable.

Maybe we can do a 'five things we learned..' thread every game? For me:

3. Barkley shouldn't be taking free kicks. Scored a decent one at Swansea an age ago, but Lukaku should be on them now.

I agree with all you points but this one, Mac.

IMO no one shoukd "be on free kicks".

I wish free kicks within about forty yards of the box were not regarded as penalty kicks where a boy lines himself up like a rugby scrum half and aims for goal.

The blooming coaches need to be working on clever routines aimed at getting a runner in behind the defence for a shot on goal from close range.

I don't know the percentage but it seems to me about 90% of shots from direct free kicks go high, wide and not so very handsome.

1 - disagree. They played great for first half. Also were you saying this after Southampton? Doubt it. Knee jerk reaction this. Cleverly is super industrious.

2- he's obviously not 100%. He'll prob start next game.

3 - partially agree. However he's entitled to try and should be encouraged.

4 - Kone played well and should have not been subbed. Or maybe you were watching a pre season highlight at home today??

5 - we have players with composure but it depends how the rub of the game goes like today. A new signing isn't going to instantly address composure issues. However we need to be offering more than Naismith as a potent threat from the bench.

I have to agree with you about Kone.

I thought he played much better than Lukaku whose passing was atrocious at times and on several occasions his misplaced passes let the City waves come crashing toward our goal again.

1/ Ross played really well today, much more positive
2/ Clev will be the sub scapegoat this season even when McCarthy plays awful like today
3/ Good to see Martinez trusts the kids
4/ Chelsea's John Stones coped well with the pressure
5/ Half season tickets won't be a popular this season judging by our run of top home games

I don't wanna moan too much, I thought the team put everything into that game and it's hard to ask for more when you look at city's team, certainly going forward. .

This, don't see how we can learn anything today, for the rest of the season we wont have to play against a side like that again anyway.

One thing we did learn is City will destroy teams from the moment the game kicks off this season, they didn't do that to Everton. Maybe we had too much optimism after Southampton, play against lesser sides like we did today and i reckon we will pick up points.

Status
Not open for further replies.