First time to Goodison

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Brit living in NYC for the past 14 years and only ever getting red eyes to the UK I'll say this

Either take something to force you to have a lot of sleep on the plane, AND try and sleep in the train, or get as much coffee in you as you can without getting the caffeine wildies

6am UK time is 1am. The game will kick off at the equivalent of 10am. Unless you work nights you won't want to be too tired, though the adrenaline and bevvies may get you through a lot of it.

There are plans for a big welcome for the team outside the ground arriving on the team coach. It will be noisy and great. I think it’s about an hour before.

Flags, singing and chanting, smoke bombs and big crowds. A real experience!

Go the Lisbon lad. Great before and after care. They love the Yanks especially for the tips too
I see this every time someone from out of town asks for recommendations. I’d much rather go to the Lisbon and chat and drink with the good folk there, than to a pub to meet up with the kind who think that recommending the Lisbon is some kind of cruel prank.

Probably better footy talk too.

As a Brit living in NYC for the past 14 years and only ever getting red eyes to the UK I'll say this

Either take something to force you to have a lot of sleep on the plane, AND try and sleep in the train, or get as much coffee in you as you can without getting the caffeine wildies

6am UK time is 1am. The game will kick off at the equivalent of 10am. Unless you work nights you won't want to be too tired, though the adrenaline and bevvies may get you through a lot of it.
It's a 12.30 GMT kick-off so will be 7.30 EST. Just thought I would clarify this as I would hate for you to tune in a couple of hours late and miss the annual spanking.

Get down to BMD and take a few pics, then get a cab to the Whetherspoons near Goodison. Have a few beers then its only a 5 min walk to Goodison. Have a great day and hopefully we get a result. Where are you sitting?

Enjoy your trip, 6am should be plenty of time to see the stadium, club shop and take it all I etc, hopefully next time you can do the stadium tour and see the city.
County Road is rough but is fine on matchday especially for food and ale.

Firstly you need to check that there is no industrial action that day as there have been a few stoppages lately.

As you say.... you should be fine for timings if everything in order. Early kick-offs aren't great for pre-match drinks although the fan Park (at the Park end) will probably be fully open before hand.

When you arrive at Lime Street station... there's a whetherspoons pub off station concourse. It opens at 7am. Go in there for a quick breakfast and pint. You'll be able to see one of the finest buildings in the world over the road while taking your refreshments.

As soon as finished... there's a taxi rank either side of the station. Jump cab and ask for Goodison via Bramley Moore Dock.... you'll be able to pinch a glance at the future. Drop at the ground by Dixie so you can have a quick walk around the ground. There's a timeline history graphic nearly all the way around the ground. Follow it anti clockwise. You can go in the church hall for collectibles or tea/coffee, or into Winslow pub for your 2nd pint.... which should open early. Make your way into the ground about half an hr before KO to have your 3rd pint..... and out onto the stand at least 15 mins before to take in the ground and the growing atmosphere.

Where are you sitting in the ground?
This is fantastic stuff from everyone! Thank you. I'm staying in the Gwladys end, lower tier, but on the end. Seemed like my best bet given the options. Thanks again.

I'd say 8 times out of 10 trains will get in on time. 4h should give you plenty of time though should there be a problem. Doesn't look like there's planned industrial action so you should be fine on that front (but bear this in mind as it could happen at short notice) .

The Ship and Mitre is a good pub, but probably opens a bit later than those mentioned above, taxi from there is about 5/10mins.

Visit the church in the corner of the ground for a cup of tea if early drinking isn't your thing!

Will you be catching a train back to London after the game? If your train is on time and if you've not been to Liverpool before I'd recommend ambling around the city centre/ the docks/Matthew Street before heading up to the ground.
Thanks very much for the intel on the industrial action. That was my big concern, but couldn't figure out how to search it.

Status
Not open for further replies.