First time to Goodison

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetfan7720000

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
I'm a US based fan of Everton who is coming over for the first time for the derby. My plane lands in London friday morning and I was planning on taking the 6a Saturday train to Liverpool, figuring the early wake up won't be a problem because I'll still be on US time. Is that cutting things too close, or is the train pretty reliable (gets in 4 hours before the match)? Any recommendations of where to go once I'm in Liverpool before the match. I already have a ticket, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Serious note get down at 10am, do a pub crawl down county road, finish at the Winslow on Goodison road should be rocking although it is an early game, grab some chips and gravy in the blue dragon and grab a can from the offiie and just walk round the ground for ten mins and soak it up, head to the Dixie dean statue for a pic, club stores right across too so check that out if you want any souvenirs etc. If somehow Everton win head back to the Winslow after or the brick. After that head into town, you can get a bus straight in. Hope you have a great day mate, I live in Canada now but miss going the game a lot?

Firstly you need to check that there is no industrial action that day as there have been a few stoppages lately.

As you say.... you should be fine for timings if everything in order. Early kick-offs aren't great for pre-match drinks although the fan Park (at the Park end) will probably be fully open before hand.

When you arrive at Lime Street station... there's a whetherspoons pub off station concourse. It opens at 7am. Go in there for a quick breakfast and pint. You'll be able to see one of the finest buildings in the world over the road while taking your refreshments.

As soon as finished... there's a taxi rank either side of the station. Jump cab and ask for Goodison via Bramley Moore Dock.... you'll be able to pinch a glance at the future. Drop at the ground by Dixie so you can have a quick walk around the ground. There's a timeline history graphic nearly all the way around the ground. Follow it anti clockwise. You can go in the church hall for collectibles or tea/coffee, or into Winslow pub for your 2nd pint.... which should open early. Make your way into the ground about half an hr before KO to have your 3rd pint..... and out onto the stand at least 15 mins before to take in the ground and the growing atmosphere.

Where are you sitting in the ground?

First game! Awesome game to pick! Derbys are special so I’m sure you’ll love it no matter the outcome.
I travel up from London. Trains out of London are usually reliable. Use a web app called Trainline or National Rail to check the latest running status and platform number. So if you’re up for such a early start, go for it. You’ll arrive around 830am, I think so plenty of time as you say. You’ll have a reserved seat so no stress. Get some breakfast and a coffee to take onto the train from maybe Pret or M&S food at the train station. The train food is average and over priced.
Once in Liverpool Lime you’ll have time to have a quick look around the town centre I’d say, before getting the shuttle bus for the fans up to Goodison from outside lime street station. Lots of people catch it so you’ll see it.
I’d personally also take a look at the park to see how close the ground is to Anfield and enjoy the walk down with the fans to the ground. The club shop is worth a visit too. Some people like to get into the ground an hour before to see the warm ups.
Hope this helps!
Have a great day!

I'm a US based fan of Everton who is coming over for the first time for the derby. My plane lands in London friday morning and I was planning on taking the 6a Saturday train to Liverpool, figuring the early wake up won't be a problem because I'll still be on US time. Is that cutting things too close, or is the train pretty reliable (gets in 4 hours before the match)? Any recommendations of where to go once I'm in Liverpool before the match. I already have a ticket, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
I'd say 8 times out of 10 trains will get in on time. 4h should give you plenty of time though should there be a problem. Doesn't look like there's planned industrial action so you should be fine on that front (but bear this in mind as it could happen at short notice) .

The Ship and Mitre is a good pub, but probably opens a bit later than those mentioned above, taxi from there is about 5/10mins.

Visit the church in the corner of the ground for a cup of tea if early drinking isn't your thing!

Will you be catching a train back to London after the game? If your train is on time and if you've not been to Liverpool before I'd recommend ambling around the city centre/ the docks/Matthew Street before heading up to the ground.

Why not hijack the plane and land at Manchester solving the transport issue.
When you land, ring the club and ask to speak to your long lost dad bill. Get to meet him at 3pm and sit in the posh seats shouting down with the board with popcorn and a foam hand glove waving in his face. At full time, make your excuses and nick one of the public scooters outside to make a getaway. Ps don't forget to pack flares in your bag. Bill loves blue smoke in his face. It reminds him of good times

Status
Not open for further replies.