Finishing Position

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate all this talk off "breaking into the top 6" that you hear in the football media. The first thing we need to do is turn the current top 6 into a top 7, i.e. get into the top 7 with a significant points gap between 7th and 8th places. Last season's 8th place was fairly meaningless in that there was still a big gap between us and the top 6. That needs to end first and foremost.

When we are re-established in that group we can start thinking about how to progress further, i.e. top 4. After falling backwards in recent seasons there is a lot of catching up to do.

I said it a couple of weeks ago and I still believe that one of the group that was top 6 last year that isn't City or the RS will struggle and be in range for us to pass. It's too early to say whether enough will go right on our end for it to happen but Mina and/or Zouma being good would be a start

We seem to playing with confidence. Some easy teams coming up. Let's get some points, players get confident bit of swagger take it from there. I don't think 5th is out of our reach.

The thing is we are only going to get better IMO. 5th-7th is where we will finish. How high depends on injuries, luck, and other team's fortunes obviously, but I'm not one to just settle for 7th. Our ceiling is higher than most of us thought with the improvement to our existing squad. That's the most exciting part. It's not all down to getting a brand new squad.

Are people getting carried away here ? Drew with Wolves and scraped a 2-1 win against Southampton at home ?

7th or 8th for me.

Are people getting carried away here ? Drew with Wolves and scraped a 2-1 win against Southampton at home ?

7th or 8th for me.

..possibly, but I suspect folk think there are players to come in who will improve the team. I’m hoping that Mina, Zouma and Gomes in particular can stake places and Bernard can provide a bit of magic if needed. Digne will be competitive as he knows Baines will take some shifting.

The more points we can pick up during this period, the better chance we have when everybody is fit.

7th or 8th for me.

Dont see how we are getting carried away, we have a squad that can compete in every game.

Im not saying we will win the league and we probably wont get 4th, but I dont see why we cant finish 5th or 6th personally.

Win all our home games versus teams outside the top 6, get the odd result against them, take a few away wins and who knows what can happen.

Our best 11 on form can give anybody a game.

personally think 6th at best, more likely 7th this season build from there hopefully. you have

Spurs
City
Utd
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal

At any time two of those could fall down the pecking order but unless we pull off a leicester and do fantastically then a top 4 might be just a one hit wonder so to speak, but lets hope we move in the right direction and with Bournemouth, Huddersfield, West Ham, Arsenal (trying to find their feet), Fulham, Leicester & Palace they are all very winnable games so fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.