Financial Fair Play investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. There is punishment but that would be beyond cruel. They know they would be effectively relegating us with a sanction of that severity.
Sorry to come back again and again to the League but I dunno what clubs voted to give them but I remember the Birmingham case in 2018-19.

1) FFP heading towards potential breach, soft embargo between say April and end of June 2018. Early warning for a club, to get books in order by a deadline "or else" kinda thing. Do not sign especially not for a fee and without EFL permissions etc.
2) Signing Pedersen for £2m in late June 2018 screwed that enormously.
3) Became a full.embargo and refusal to register Pedersen by the League couldn't register anyone new at all. Still failed FFP to 2018 on top of that. Think they gave them a further month to try and scramble some player sales to move backwards maybe because of World Cup. They argued Butland and Gray sell on would scrape them home to 2018 but this never materialised
4) Business Plan was agreed/imposed. That is an embargo of sorts. 5 signings permitted and Pedersen registered but:

A) No transfer fee payable.
B) No loan fee payable.
C) Remuneration not exceeding £600k in a season for a new addition. Dunno if contractual lengths were also impacted.
D) Agents fees and signing on fees probably impacted too, can't recall how exactly.
E) Think renewal of existing players also had to fall within this plan.

5) Referred to an IDC in August 2018. Docked 9 points around this time 4 seasons ago.

They also got charged with breaches of the Business Plan the following season but that's another story.

The Football League do seem to push for a combination of points and restrictions these days. PL? Time will tell.

Think Reading e.g. haven't been able to spend a fee on a player since summer 2020 linked to ongoing FFP challenges.

Last edited:

Shouldn’t do business with them ever. Would actively offer a player around to other clubs if Spurs are in for them, and give them a slightly discounted rate.
levy-daniel-levy.gif

There are still people who are convinced we were signing Dumfries and Luis Diaz for 21/22 but Benitez decided he didn’t want him. Not to defend Benitez but all this shows how close we were to FFP breach all along so none of that was ever happening. We were probably lucky to find 1.7m for Gray.

Think we could only sign Diaz in a straight swap with James which Porto were clearly never going to agree to. That link was bogus from the start imo.

Think we could only sign Diaz in a straight swap with James which Porto were clearly never going to agree to. That link was bogus from the start imo.
Exactly, but there are still people who believe that even though James arrived and left for free Porto were going to swap him for a 50 million player, and it was us that turned it down.

How does he know there will a guilty verdict and what the outcome will be, does he know the result of the Spurs game next Monday night? That’s all I’m interested and worrying about at the moment never mind next bleedin’ season.
That's all I'm bothered about tbh mate.

All this takes a very distant back seat as far as I'm concerned. We'll worry about all this when the time comes.

To everyone saying we're down if we get a 9 point deduction next season

How do you know how the promoted teams/other teams are going to perform?
Why do you keep saying we need to win 3 on the bounce? There's 38 games.

Previous seasons, 18th place has gone down with the following points: 35, 28, 34, 34, 33, 34, 37, 35

If you don't think we can muster up more than that, then we deserve to go down anyway. We're on 26 now, in one of our worst seasons. We got 39 last season, which included a run of 12 games without a win. No wonder Goodison is dead, everyone throws in the towel. Didn't Rocky's visit teach you anything??

When you look at Levy might have done here, claim 40 mill for Dele on their own books, come back five months later and give us 50 mill for Richarlison.

Youd love to have him here - we should never ever deal with him.
Much as I love Richy I don’t think we were had over at 50m plus addons. Hopefully he comes good but probably a lot of Spurs fans feel the exact opposite right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.