Ferguson retained as assistant manager - yay or nay

Should Duncan Ferguson continue to be employed as Assistant Manager regardless of managerial appoint

• No

Votes: 234 56.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 180 43.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
…Ferguson would get a nose bleed if he went to the Wirral. He’s in a comfort zone at USM FF, I‘d be amazed if he left to join another club. I’d be even more amazed if the story of Ancelotti wanting him was accurate.
I agree in general, my point being that every manager and player enjoys working with him.
Only evertonians could turn on a club legend cos he’s employed by some of the worlds best managers. It’s like trying to find fault when there clearly isn’t one

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Everton do stupid things and pushing for Dunc to stay on staff isn’t outside the realm of stupid
I can assure you that 5 managers would not all just accept the job if they were told they had to keep DF on as assistant, it just wouldn’t happen

I agree in general, my point being that every manager and player enjoys working with him.
Only evertonians could turn on a club legend cos he’s employed by some of the worlds best managers. It’s like trying to find fault when there clearly isn’t one

…unless you know something different, we really don’t know if every manager & player enjoys working with him. He’s certainly not universally popular at USM FF.

Whether he’s a club legend is a moot point, he’s certainly nowhere near in my opinion. It’s all too romantic rather than it being effective.

Last edited:
I can assure you that 5 managers would not all just accept the job if they were told they had to keep DF on as assistant, it just wouldn’t happen
I can assure you if you wanted a pay day you’d make some concessions and having Dunc on staff may very well be one of them.

Either way he needs to go elsewhere and test himself. Should never get the Everton job without managing another club in the lower leagues or somewhere else.

I don’t think he wants the Everton job. He knows that the days of staying at a club long term are done. Look at Poch at spurs. He doesn’t want to leave Everton but one day if he is manager he will either be sacked or be stale so he has to go.

if you asked me this before Carlo came in I would of said he can go. But that Chelsea and Man Utd game changed it for me. It reminded me of the passion he had and he did great for those games.

Would understand it if they viewed him as a future manager but not sure how long they can keep deferring that...
If he's seen by the current regime to be a potential future manager, they should be encouraging and supporting him to go outside of the club and gain experience elsewhere.
We send players out on loan to develop their game and improve, why can't clubs do the same with prospective managers ?

If he's seen by the current regime to be a potential future manager, they should be encouraging and supporting him to go outside of the club and gain experience elsewhere.
We send players out on loan to develop their game and improve, why can't clubs do the same with prospective managers ?

…I’d be very surprised if he’s seen as a potential manager, Andy. I think he’s employed because Kenwright is romantic about the club & think the fan base idolise him (this vote disproves that).

Managers are accommodating him rather than working with him. Ferguson won’t want a challenge elsewhere, he‘s in a safe & very well paid job. All my assumption, of course.

Last edited:
…I’d be very surprised if he’s seen as a potential manager, Andy. I think he’s employed because Kenwright is romantic about the club & think the fan base idolise him.

Managers are accommodating him rather than working with him. Ferguson won’t want a challenge elsewhere, he in a safe & very well paid job. All my assumption, of course.
Completely and totally agree 100% Eggs - I was merely pointing out the option that you and I both know will never be used.

I say no, but am not a versed to him staying if the new manager genuinely wants him there. I still think he has survived far too many poor administrations.

My take though is unless the incoming manager REALLY likes said assistant or wants them on the staff, they should clean house and bring their own staff in. The manager should have full control of his staff and ideology

Can you give us some of the good reasons why he should be kept on as a good assistant manager/ coach?

No I can't cos we don't know any!

either he's been the only good part of the coaching staff in these 5 years, in which case someone has to say that, endorse him and make him manager,

Or

he's as culpable as the managers who have been fired, and should also go!

Like Brands, Unsworth and a few others, it looks like there's a job for life for him

A new manager coming into any organization, football club or otherwise would need some trusted and capable 'old heads' to provide some background & history
Regardless of who we hire, Ferguson is an EFC legend, known world-wide, so should be retained for this support role. If new manager has squeezed all the knowledge from Ferguson's brain after a year then part ways, but keep him for next season for sure

…I’d be very surprised if he’s seen as a potential manager, Andy. I think he’s employed because Kenwright is romantic about the club & think the fan base idolise him (this vote disproves that).

Managers are accommodating him rather than working with him. Ferguson won’t want a challenge elsewhere, he‘s in a safe & very well paid job. All my assumption, of course.
He bleeds blue. But that doesn't warrant a position that is more than sinecure.

Status
Not open for further replies.