Feeder Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nymzee

Player Valuation: £150m
Just reading on The Guardian an article explaining the George Hirst deal, obviously is a work around for Leicester to get out of paying lots of compo for the lad.

Got me thinking though, with how poor the level of academy football seems to be in terms of competitiveness, and the stockpile of good young players we have - would anyone be in favour of one day the club buying a stake in a smaller foreign team?

I don’t want to go down the Chelsea/Vitesse route but it’s guaranteed first team football for our best young players and helps us sign academy players for cheaper.

Just reading on The Guardian an article explaining the George Hirst deal, obviously is a work around for Leicester to get out of paying lots of compo for the lad.

Got me thinking though, with how poor the level of academy football seems to be in terms of competitiveness, and the stockpile of good young players we have - would anyone be in favour of one day the club buying a stake in a smaller foreign team?

I don’t want to go down the Chelsea/Vitesse route but it’s guaranteed first team football for our best young players and helps us sign academy players for cheaper.
I think you raise a good question for all academies in general. Just look at how good England are in all age groups up to 20. The talent is there no doubt. However many can’t get in premier league squads and rely on the under 23s for competitive football. But is this stalling their football education? The evidence suggests it is. The only way around that is to introduce a law that every starting 11 has to have 2-3 homegrown players in it. This is just for domestic fixtures, not European ones. It would undoubtedly help Southgate and future England managers, but sadly because of the power of the premier league and club football in general, it would never happen.

I think you raise a good question for all academies in general. Just look at how good England are in all age groups up to 20. The talent is there no doubt. However many can’t get in premier league squads and rely on the under 23s for competitive football. But is this stalling their football education? The evidence suggests it is. The only way around that is to introduce a law that every starting 11 has to have 2-3 homegrown players in it. This is just for domestic fixtures, not European ones. It would undoubtedly help Southgate and future England managers, but sadly because of the power of the premier league and club football in general, it would never happen.

I swear there was going to be a rule where teams had to field certain amount of homegrown players? I know the squads need a certain amount but sure I read the team would too one day.

Brexit might fix that anyway mind.

Id not be surprised if it is something we look to do in the future especially since we now have Brands at the club who favours players from South America. Most of the other big PL clubs have link ups with other foreign clubs of sorts so they can send players out to get experience. It does'nt surprise me we have never done it under Bill, i just don't think it is something he would even think about tbh.

I swear there was going to be a rule where teams had to field certain amount of homegrown players? I know the squads need a certain amount but sure I read the team would too one day.

Brexit might fix that anyway mind.
They have to in their premier league squads of 25. But obviously not in their starting 11 or even matchday squads. Hence why you have a talent like RLC looking to go out on loan as despite performing well for England in the World Cup, can’t get minutes on the pitch for Chelsea.

I can see it happening. City already have NAC Breda, Girona and Toulouse which seems excessive.

However linking up with a club in France might be a good idea. Somewhere we could loan players like Dowell and Lookman and give them experience in a competitive environment, plus bring in south americans etc who wouldn't get work permits.

As I've said before, the money we've spent on poor signings under Walsh would have bought Sevilla or Valencia outright!

Is there much evidence of players going out to feeder clubs on loan and then becoming a central part of the first team at their parent club? I believe Chelsea have, for instance, sent over 20 players to Vitesse over the years. How many of them have made it back into the first team?

From memory, the only one of those who became a regular is Matic, and that was only after he was sold to Benfica in the meantime.

Man Utd had slightly better success with Antwerp, but even then, the only players that went there and played regularly were squad filler like O'Shea, Evans and Gibson.

Feeder clubs primarily seem to be valuable in giving players experience so they can be sold on rather than preparing them for first team action with the parent club.

All that will happen if feeder clubs become a real, sanctioned thing is that certain clubs like Chelsea and City will hoover up every young player with talent going and loan about 60 players each out to their 5 feeder clubs. A B side in the lower divisions would be better IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.