2019/20 Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this was unlucky and stuff - if the midfield 4 had been Davies, Delph, JP & Gomes that would have been ok - we were expecting JP to be a Viera-Toure like legend lol..
now I think the midfield should be
1 a new superstar + (physical /
2 Gomes
3 + one senior at Gomes level
4 Beni
5 Davies on loan somewhere

I know this was unlucky and stuff - if the midfield 4 had been Davies, Delph, JP & Gomes that would have been ok - we were expecting JP to be a Viera-Toure like legend lol..
2 Gomes
4 Beni

Probably will go. He played like one game for Wigan then can’t get into the team despite having Davies in cm after the lockdown.

2 Gomes
4 Beni

before you cancel me - beni because as a reserve may as well give a young hungry player a chance

What I find most surprising is that he was involved in twenty games for us during the season, I thought it would be half that.

I think that is probably as much as would be expected from him normally, it is just because our midfield is so poor his absence became more obvious.

Nobody is buying him from us.

Probably will go. He played like one game for Wigan then can’t get into the team despite having Davies in cm after the lockdown.

if Dowell and Davies are gone, I need one academy product to attach my blind faith to, so I need to believe Beni is the next Kante

...of all the Brands signings, this is probably the one most open to challenge. His injury/absence record for City was surely a red flag. I can’t see him leaving the club.

Saying that, I understand he’s been told he wasn’t being considered post-lockdown and to get himself fit for the new season. Those hamstrings will give way again, but if he’s relatively fit in the short-term it will save bringing in a Baines replacement and give the new young French recruit time to establish himself.

When I saw him play for City in his last 18 months there, he stood out as their weak link. Either got a needless booking or a straight red for a clumsy challenge (Wigan FA Cup game a prime example). Both he and Iwobi are disastrous signings. It boggles the mind that most casual football fans thought these to be poor signings, yet an expert in the field of recruitment did not, and splashed almost £50m on them.

Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing but we wouldn't have been any worse off had we done this, and would have a substantial surplus in the coffers too given the difference between their wage packets and saving on Delph's fee as you say.

I must say though, I did understand the logic at the time of Delph's signing, especially given that Gana had just gone. Gbamin's injury has obviously had a huge effect on what we have been able to do in midfield too. Delph may have just been a squad player all season had JPG and Gomes stayed fully fit and built up a good understanding. The fact that neither could stay fit is obviously telling that we needed more cover in that position, but you usually want the people providing the cover to be pretty reliable and injury free themselves, which Delph obviously has never been. Then again, Besic has never been either so I do understand the logic of needing an extra body, they obviously just got it very, very wrong.
This I absolutely do not agree with. Why would he go from playing semi-regularly at City to squad player at Everton?

This I absolutely do not agree with. Why would he go from playing semi-regularly at City to squad player at Everton?

How Marco Silva (at the time) and how Delph viewed his role in the squad can differ. He obviously backed himself coming here that if he was fit, he'd play every match. The manager, I'm not so sure.

Exactly, and possibly the right type of experienced player (I have no way of discerning who that would be... but basically in the Gareth Barry or Richard Gough mould rather than Delph... do we even look at player personalities?)
A blend of experience and younger hungry players would be the ideal mix. We have a good group of players digne holgate Richy DCL Gordon possibly branthwaite. I reckon Carlo knows what he wants. As you say we need to start looking at players personalities and are they still hungry.
A Peter Reid or Alan Ball type
who will never give up.
Pains me to say that the RS seem to have it ingrained in them.at an early stage to never give up. Think it was this season that the under 23 were 4-3 up against the RS with 5 mins to go. And the RS still won 5-4.
Carlo has said we need to copy the RS. Hopefully players who have skill but who never give up
I can get over Everton losing but when they have no fight or no heart I can't forgive that!

He's basically the type of player Bielsa would batter with his pitch side box upon even going near Elland Road. At best we have got to hope Villa want him.

When I saw him play for City in his last 18 months there, he stood out as their weak link. Either got a needless booking or a straight red for a clumsy challenge (Wigan FA Cup game a prime example). Both he and Iwobi are disastrous signings. It boggles the mind that most casual football fans thought these to be poor signings, yet an expert in the field of recruitment did not, and splashed almost £50m on them.
He did OK at left-back in the season where they won the title at a canter, in much the same way that Brown and O'Shea did at United, but he couldn't even get a game ahead of Zinchenko after that.

Having him cover Digne would be a disaster if it actually came to him playing. He needs to be told to find a new club.

Status
Not open for further replies.