Confirmed Signing Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's face it, if we signed him after some 'sexy' signings, nobody would have an issue.

As said, exactly the same reaction to Gareth Barry and Idrissa Gueye. That position of the pitch isn't necessarily glamorous but we need depth. Delph is an excellent 'water carrier' - a consistent player who makes teams tick.

Tom Davies hasn't developed to be the player he threatened to be and James McCarthy is somehow still at the club - he's a first team option replacement for those two and without a doubt a massive step up on them in quality.

Spot on. People are wetting the bed because we haven’t shipped out any CM dross YET or that we haven’t made any big signings other than Gomes YET.

If this deal is easier to do than any of those - and there is every suggestion this is quite a straightforward deal to do - then it’ll be done first and we’ll deal with the other stuff later.

As ten million people seem to have said already, we can only judge the effectiveness of our business in this window once it’s shut.

Let's face it, if we signed him after some 'sexy' signings, nobody would have an issue.

As said, exactly the same reaction to Gareth Barry and Idrissa Gueye. That position of the pitch isn't necessarily glamorous but we need depth. Delph is an excellent 'water carrier' - a consistent player who makes teams tick.

Tom Davies hasn't developed to be the player he threatened to be and James McCarthy is somehow still at the club - he's a first team option replacement for those two and without a doubt a massive step up on them in quality.

That's a good post, if come the end of the window there's some 'star quality' added then we would be able to view this addition in a different context.

That’s your suggestion, not mine.

You don’t get the point do you?
We have a somewhat fix 11 at this point. The next level of progression is to sign someone capable of breaking into this team.

Any form of backup should be focussing on youth since we have a bench full of experience players that isn’t going to make a big difference, Schneidelin Mccarthy to name a few.

We cannot go back to the same practice of offering 29 years old on a massive wage as a backup.

We need to ship out many of our unwanted midfielders before we really fancy on splurging high wage on half decent backup.

You don’t address any of such points and keep coming out with silly perceptions
What if we don’t WANT a fixed starting XI though?

What if one of the reasons the manager thinks we struggled at times last year was because we had to keep picking the same players week in week out, regardless of form or fitness? What if he’d like some decent players to add proper competition and give him options that he didn’t have last year? What if our highly regarded Director of football and the rest of the board know more about what we ‘need’ to do than you?

Food for thought mate.

You're getting a good player in Delph, a bargain for the money. I would have kept him as he's a versatile player and good quality. It's a good move for Delph and a good move for you. I wish him well.

I'd imagine, like Barry before him he's probably the sort of player you appreciate more when you see him most weeks and know the impact he has around the club. You probably hate him (many Evertonians aren't too keen) but Phil Neville was a bit like that. Couldn't stick him when he was at United but led the dressing room here and enforced good habits.

Gareth Barry was written off when he came here. I thought he was one paced and actually not at the level Delph is currently at, but he was one of the most important signings we made in the last 5 years.

It's not a glamorous signing by any stretch but to me it's low risk. He knows the league, he knows the area, won't have to relocate his family, knows what it takes to play for a big club (having played for 3 previously) and is a northern lad. Very low risk and a smart signing really.

What if we don’t WANT a fixed starting XI though?

What if one of the reasons the manager thinks we struggled at times last year was because we had to keep picking the same players week in week out, regardless of form or fitness? What if he’d like some decent players to add proper competition and give him options that he didn’t gave last year? What if our highly regarded Director of football and the rest of the board know more about what we ‘need’ to do than you?

Food for thought mate.

The type of players you mention does not need to be 29years old on massive wages. This is completely opposite of what we set out to do when we first hire Brands. Moshiri had mention we need to stop filling the squad with high wages and we’d rather go in for a higher transfer fee. This signing just don’t make sense unless we clear out our deadwood in midfield.

Well I can’t see him wanting to come to be on the bench, so that would mean he’d want to start, but who does he replace?

If Gana goes he’s not a direct replacement in style and I also don’t think Brands would replace a 29-year old with a 29-year old do you?

I’m like you mate, I find it a bit of a weird one, not for us but for Delph, you would have thought at his age he would be wanting to go somewhere he would be guaranteed first team footy. He’s literally (IMO) going from warming the bench at Man City to warming it with us, if that was the choice for me I know which bench I would rather be warming.

Can live with the sugning of Delph. Maybe not the most glamorous signing, but still good value for money imo. Adds abit more experience to tbe squad and surely a more reliable option than Schneiderlin, McCarthy or Davies.

If Delph is one of the signings in combination with the standards of Malcom, Kean, Zouma and Gomes, than I think we quite franly will have had a superb summer window.

I’m like you mate, I find it a bit of a weird one, not for us but for Delph, you would have thought at his age he would be wanting to go somewhere he would be guaranteed first team footy. He’s literally (IMO) going from warming the bench at Man City to warming it with us, if that was the choice for me I know which bench I would rather be warming.

For me it just suggests that we’re going to let Gueye get his dream move. We make a massive profit and use that towards deals for top class centre back/right winger/striker.

Looks like a signing that will be contextualised by our ability (or inability) to shift McCarthy, Besic (5m to Fulham?) and Schneiderlin come the end of the window.

My opinion is that he's a player with high tactical intelligence and decent technical ability in tight spaces, with good versatility on the pitch which allowed him to play an Alan Harper-esque role for Pep in his first league win in 17/18.

Furthermore, should a significant bid for Gana come in that simply makes good business sense (35m+) and we opt for a '6' like Sangaré, Delph will act as a great comfort blanket which will allow us to blood in the new addition slowly, given that adaptation to the PL can prove difficult in some cases.

I mean, it might be worth seeing what actually happens first mate

If he's back up then fine

If he's meant to be in the Starting XI then I totally get people questioning that
This is something I said some months ago. Perhaps it would explain why I think this is a good move.

When we were going through a two month bad spell in the league, who did we have to change things ? Silva had practically half a squad to use considering how many weren't good enough or on loan at the time granted the loaners wouldn't have made a huge difference but it limited Silva all the same . Drop certain players and there was no adequate back up.

So more players who are available the better we can perform. Fresh legs, new ideas to the team, be a little less predictable to plan against?

Delph isn't going to win us the league single handedly sure, but a back up option for gueye gomes and whoever else we play in the middle, what's not to like for 8 million?

He won't play every week but then for us to have a good season, not everyone will. And most importantly , another point I've raised in the past, options. If a player is out of form, we have options rather than having to hope they come into form again.

Status
Not open for further replies.