Match Thread FA Cup, Hull City v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A win...yeah, it could have been better... But we're still in the pot. We've been dumped out by lesser sides so many times. So much wrong still but I'm just going to enjoy the win. Still want Benitez gone, like but will enjoy it till Leicester.

Thing is, bar Rondon, who is just always very bad, what player actually performed badly today?

I'm not saying any of them were great, but I don't think any of them would rank below 6/10 for performance?

We're set up terribly by a terrible manager and until that changes (either he changes how he sets up or the manager changes) then we'll continue to see performances like this.
This is the big worry I have following today, apart from Rondon who turned in his usual nothing performance none of our players were bad and we struggled to beat Hull City. How are we going to get results in the Premiership. If we go five at the back against Leicester they will tank us.

Unpopular opinion, I thought Rondon ran himself into the ground tonight. He fought hard up front.
Not saying we were brilliant, far from it, defensively we were a bit all over the place, but some character was shown tonight, Godfrey, Gray, Gordon, I thought were decent, Gomez I thought was motm, kept his head and played intelligent football. Created good chances throughout,could have got five goals tonight.
I don't think the set up is right, but our players cared and dug in ,into what was recognised as a tough game., our fans in the ground backed and cheered us for two hours, as bad as the agenda is on social media, there are positives to be had if you care to look.

This is the big worry I have following today, apart from Rondon who turned in his usual nothing performance none of our players were bad and we struggled to beat Hull City. How are we going to get results in the Premiership. If we go five at the back against Leicester they will tank us.
It's not just the formation, it's more how we press (or don't press). In the first 15 mins, you had Allan or Gomes taking turns to run beyond Rondon off the ball, leaving a 20-yard gap in midfield. You had Gray and Gordon on top of the full-backs, inviting pressure. Hull could have scored 2 or 3 if they had cutting edge and quality.

Gray and Gordon, again, took matters into their own hands and the rest of the first half was pretty measured. The start of the second half was too but then Hull made changes. That switched the shape and, as he has failed to do repeatedly this season, Benitez doesn't recognise that this means we have to change shape.

Instead, he takes Gordon off for Townsend which while that's fine as like for like did nothing to stop Hull getting a foothold in the game. And their goal, as good as a finish as it was, comes from Huddlestone being able to get the foot on the ball in between the midfielders.

We didn't look amazing when we went to 433 but it stopped Huddlestone having that space at the very least.

Well, it wasn't pretty but it was a win, which is all that matters.

Couple of good performances, I thought the standouts were Gray, who was electric and my MOTM, Gomes, who I thought totally controlled the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.