Excitement she wrote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kever10

Player Valuation: £15m
Lately, i have been finding it harder and harder to get excited about Everton, and it seems to be coinciding with me getting less enjoyment from everything else outside of football too. Food doesnt taste the way it used to, i cant seem to watch films without finding fault or being generally underwhelmed, i seem to be less adventurous in the music i choose to listen to... I have a massive selection to choose from, but i seem to always end up back at the same select few albums and artists.

Maybe, its just that i am becoming more cynical and selective as i grow older.

Maybe i am stuck in a rut.

Or maybe, my entire happiness is centred around what i can take from watching and suporting Everton.

Come on, we all know the feeling. Win a game and it makes your weekend. Lose and it ruins your whole week. Football can quite clearly have a massive effect on our collective and individual mood and demeanour.

And lately, id say maybe as far back as the cup final capitulation, i have just felt indifferent towards Everton. Before, the highs always felt, well, just more intense. A great goal or result, a new signing, even just hearing a pundit talk favourably about us, it would fill me with an illogical feeling of pride and give me a stupid uncontrolable grin. It almost made you think that for all the success other teams would have, it was somehow more superficial, and because we generally have to put up with more ****e, and have to wait longer inbetween our moments, then the feeling was deeper and more meaningful. A loss, on the otherhand, was disappointing, but never that depressing. I was always an optimist... Well bounce back... That player will come good... We will have our moment... Etc, etc.

But after the cup final, i felt something id not felt before. A realisation that THAT was our chance to kick on, and that we probably wouldnt get another for a long time. Actually, i say after the match, but the real moment came about 2 minutes after kick off when, after i finally settled down and thought about Sahas goal, i turned to my dad and said, "that was too soon wasnt it"...

He agreed.

I knew then we where going to lose and the deflation as it became reality was unlike anything i had felt before. The Villareal game, Fiorentina, the McCallister derby, the united game when we pulled back a 3 goal defecit only to lose 3-4 anyway... Only Everton lose those kinds of games, but where they seemed to "build character", this 1 just hurt deep.

And ive been really cynical since. The odd blip of excitement... Donovan, winning the derby last year, Beckfords goal in the anfield derby (i almost forgot that we dont win those games when that went in... almost)...

But on the whole, my excitement levels are kept in check, and dont regularly venture past mildly amused. I still go to all the home games, mostly out of habbit and routine, but I dont feel as though i am being adequately entertained for my troubles.

And a big part of that, for me, is David Moyes. I realise what he has done for us, in stabalising qnd re-establishing us, and where we where before he arrived. I am also aware of the limitations he has had in the transfers he has been able to make and the wages he has been able to pay. But surely i cant be alone in that i am really starting to dislike the man. He is negative, stubborn, arrogant, and frustrating. And for all the sympathy aimed at him for not having the money to spend on new players, his stance on being the ultimate decission maker in who stays and who goes has itself been a major factor in our financial situation.

I am far from a Kenwright sympathiser, i dislike the man and dont believe a word he says... But Moyes has got him wrapped around his little finger. He is like the spoilt daddies girl, the Veruca Salt if you will, to Kenwrights struggling to stay afloat doating father. Moyes has no budget to buy new players but seems to steadfastly refuse to sell what he has to make any mony either. Mayb he is trying to force Kenwrights hand, but judging from all accounts, the 2 are very close, so Moyes would have to be a new breed of sly to take Kenwright down in such a way.

But i digress. It is Moyes who i blame for the brand of football i see whenever i watch us play, and it is Moyes who picks the sides, complete with players consistently played out of position, and semingly forced to forego any natural instict to attack and instead adopt a coached-in negative style of play.

And all of this is before we even conider the falling outs with countless players over his tenure, and his equally frustrating habit of having his pet players who can do no wrong. Prime example, Phil Neville, who instead of being phased out of the side as he becomes older and less and less effective, has signed a new contract extension. When he was brought on on wednesday for the final 10 mins, to play CM in place of Rodwell, as young midfielder Wallace looked on from the bench, I realised that i had finally had enough of him.

Im convinced we have a group of players who have the potential to lift me from my funk, and finally enable me to enjoy football, and life in general, once again, but i just dont think it will happen under Moyes.

I just hope whatever needs to happen, happens before the new Spider-man film comes out, because i really want to like that...

Can't get past the title. I keep reading "Excrement, she wrote."
Hang on... I'll gather myself.
EDIT: All fair points, I just don't agree with some of them. I think moyes is the best manager for our means, and the only feasible replacement would be Mark Houghes. The new Spiderman is just too soon for me as well. Isn't right.

Last edited:
Good post. I agree so much with what you're writing, I too am loosing interest, not because we are not winning, but because the team looks so bad and we all know that they are better than what we are witnessing and have been witnessing ever since the FA Cup final defeat to Chelsea.

As I have stated in another post, I really want us to loose a lot of games while playing badly, that will hopefully make Moyes leave or even force Kenwright to sack him if fan pressure becomes too much. IMO Moyes is a bigger obstacle than finances at the moment.

Get Martinez or Lambert in.

I think you need to enjoy life no matter what happens along the way. I stumbled upon a nice quote recently: "I know not where I am going for the ocean will decide, it's not the destination it's the glory of the ride." You could use this as a daily mantra then no matter how many times EFC lose you can still enjoy your life coz it's the 'ride' man, that's what life is about, it's the ride. Enjoy the ride coz one day somethings going to happen and one day ....

I don't think its just everton, I think football is in a general malaise. England? who's bothered anymore?, the premier league?, what's the point? when city are spending what they are?, how can Liverpool justify spending what they are?, it's turning into a competition between billionaires who are tired of playing who's got the biggest super yacht on the french riviera.

Footballers wages mean, and this what got me when I was sat in the stand last, I'm paying a fortune to sit there, going into my overdraft, maxing the credit card to watch 22 millionaires chase a pig's bladder around a field of grass I'd never be allowed to walk on.

Talk about feeling disconnected in that moment.

Still, had a great moment yesterday when that diving cheat missed a penalty and even better when i saw arteta slot his.

it got better when I found out Burnley, Preston and Accrington Stanley won. I thought that'd really complete Blackburns misery.

Football still gives you little moments but some sort of financial fair play is needed.

Last edited:
Money is killing the passion of us ordinary fans. The rise in cost of everything is stopping the everyday working man enjoying which was once the only thing looked forward to at the end of the working week.

Thats the way of the world. I feel the same at times and have to admit I don't spunk £100 on many trips up to Goodison these days. When you see average prima donnas earning stupid money when you have to scrape together enough just to go to a game, it grinds. Unfortunatly the bubble doesn't seem to be even near to bursting.

Well thought out post. I think Kenwright is given too easy a passage through your critique like, but Moyes should shoulder some of the blame too. He's stale and needs a move away from Everton. All I see there now is a tired manager, bereft of ideas about how to get the best out of his squad, who I think is beginning to get on his own nerves never mind others. Looking at his demeanour, there's no joy whatsoever for him now at Everton - win, lose or draw - and I think the knives have pretty much been drawn for him amongst a large section of the support.

We wont go far wrong under Moyes. We'll get top half of the table finishes guaranteed. I just dont think it's enough anymore and that supporters want change. 12 years of Kenwright and almost 10 years of Moyes. The media play on that is that it's a good thing: "stability". They're way off the pace of opinion though; it's seen as a negative now. They just dont get it.

well that's brightened up my Sunday morning.....i'm going back to bed.....wake me up in April!!!!!!

Good post, some i agree with some I don't. I am not a Moyes hater but the 4-5-1 system and the really poor football we produce is starting to grate on me now, we haven't got the personnel for that formation but yet we still play it and the result is just god damn awful to watch, at times we are pitiful and lower league sides could out football us its shocking. However i survived the 90's times ain't so bad now to be honest just frustrating.

FFS, don't put Talksport on while you potter around this sunday morn. That Mickey Quinn is going on like an absolute blert, FFS 3 games in and 'top' because the others haven't played yet, and this fat Carolgese 70's 'tache shab is talking like it's easter and they are 50 points clear.

Yes Mickey, Suarez is getting lots of pens and is quick, there is no way in this earth that the little cheating ****...... with a propensity to have a taste of the opponents... won't be missing when he keeps getting booked for cheating, has he come up againsyt any of the Ghanaians yet ? that's when he can book a bit of treatment in advance for.

Status
Not open for further replies.