Everton's Under 21's In The EFL Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Match report from Fleetwood

Fleetwood Town made it through to the last 16 of the Leasing.com Trophy on Tuesday night after a comfortable 4-0 victory over Everton U21s.

Danny Andrew’s second minute strike as well as goals from Paul Coutts, substitute Paddy Madden and Wes Burns secured a safe passage for Joey Barton’s side, under the lights at Goodison Park.

It proved to be a thoroughly professional performance from the Cod Army, with the end result never in doubt, with goalkeeper Billy Crellin keeping a second clean sheet in three games.

Fleetwood could not have wished for a brighter start, and went ahead inside two minutes, through an Andrew strike, from the edge of the box after Coutts picked him out from a corner. The defender volleyed in to set the tone for a bright evening on Merseyside.

Minutes later, the home side had a half chance of their own, as a good run by Dennis Adeniran ended with Anthony Gordon, who’s touch went out for a goal kick.

The Cod Army could have been celebrating a second goal just shy of the quarter of an hour mark, after Ched Evans headed over from an Andrew free-kick. A decent chance.

The home side responded well to going behind, and tried to put the visitors under pressure in the middle of the park, enjoying possession high up the pitch.

Everton had another chance to respond shortly after, with striker Oumar Niasse, as he found an opportunity to strike, but his shot was watched wide by Crellin.

Just before half an hour, Andrew had a chance for his second, from a free-kick, as he drilled a ball goal bound which deflected off the wall and just wide of the wrong-footed Harry Tyrer.

The last action of a scrappy first period involved Andrew and Ashley Hunter, who linked up well, before the 24-year-old drilled in a low ball which Tyrer was able to collect.

The second half began in the same manner as the first, with Town on the front foot and the hosts weathering a storm from the men in red, who enjoyed the majority of possession.

Burns found space to run past Ryan Astley before he dug out a cross before Lewis Gibson cleared the danger.

Not long after, Town looked dangerous from a free-kick again, this time it was Andrew’s ball in, before Tyrer plucked the ball out of mid-air, under some pressure from Evans.

Next, it was Everton’s Evans who had a chance from a free kick, but the youngster sent his free-kick onto the post and then wide of Crellin’s far post.

Fifteen minutes from time, the result was safe for the visitors, after a fierce low strike from captain Coutts to push the game beyond any doubt. A finish and a first goal for the Cods.

Soon after, it was three for the Cod Army with a good attacking move finished by substitute, Madden who rounded Tyrer before firing into the top right corner of the net.

Burns added to the rout as he finished well from Lewie Coyle’s through ball, it what was a quality final goal for Barton’s side.

David Unsworth insists his Everton players must use their Leasing.com Trophy defeat to Fleetwood Town as a learning experience after the play-off chasing League One outfit ran out 4-0 winners at Goodison Park.

Everton were competing in the knockout stages of the competition for the first time but saw their hopes of a last-16 spot dashed by a clinical Fleetwood outfit.

Danny Andrew volleyed the away side into the lead on two minutes and goals deep into the second half from Paul Coutts, Paddy Madden and Wes Burns put the gloss on the scoreline.

Everton more than matched their experienced opponents for extended periods of the match.

Anthony Gordon, Oumar Niasse and Ryan Astley had chances as Everton upped the ante in the first half, while Antony Evans saw a free-kick strike the post after the break.

As the Blues committed men forward in search of an equaliser, though, Fleetwood punished the Blues with three late goals.

“Conceding in the second minute deflated everybody and we had to do a rebuild job,” Unsworth told evertonfc.com.

“And we did. We came back in the first half and created three great opportunities.

“In the second half, we conceded a sloppy goal at a time when we were opening the game up a little bit. Then we went for it, played two strikers, and we have no complaints from there.

“They showed their class and punished us for being a man down in midfield.

“Hopefully it’s been a great learning curve for the players in this competition. I wish we could play against this calibre of team every week, because it will improve the players so much.

“Fleetwood are going really well in the league. They picked a very strong team which was a real pat on the back for us, that they took the game so seriously. Their senior players were the difference. I thought their attitudes and performances were top-class.”

Fleetwood got off to a dream start at Goodison, with Andrew rifling in after a well-rehearsed counter routine.

Fleetwood skipper Coutts floated a cross towards to the 18-yard line where Andrew was lurking with intent. Coutts’ delivery was accurate but the full-back still had plenty to do and he thumped a volley into the bottom corner of Harry Tyrer’s goal.

The away team enjoyed the better of the opening quarter-of-an-hour and Ched Evans headed over from when well-positioned.

Everton gradually established a foothold in the game and it was no surprise that – when the Blues fashioned a first chance of note – the livewire Gordon was the man who almost made the scores level.

His effort came after a slick Everton move. A deft Evans flick found Dennis Adeniran, who dug out a cross for Niasse. The striker held the ball up well before laying it off to Gordon, who was looking for his eighth goal of the season. The England Under-19 international shot hard and low, but his strike went fractions past the post.

Niasse was next to go close for Everton. The Senegalese superbly jinked his way past two challenges before hammering a shot fractions wide. Fleetwood keeper Billy Crellin was well beaten.

Everton continued to play on the front foot for the remainder of the half and Astley saw a powerful shot blocked after he got on the end of Matthew Foulds’ centre.

The Blues continued to press in the second half and Evans’ swerving free-kick cannoned off the post.

Fleetwood were to strike the next blow, though, and the impressive Coutts fired in from the edge of the box 15 minutes from time.

As Everton poured forward, substitute Madden made the game safe when he burst through on goal before rounding Tyrer and placing his shot into the top corner.

Wes Burns completed the scoring with a cool finish on 87 minutes.

“The players will learn from the reality of playing in the competition - the speed and physicality that is needed [at senior level],” Unsworth added.

“Your fitness levels have got to be there and your tactical nous has to be there in every second of the game.

“Also, the fact that when you’re not in the right positions, you get punished. [Assistant manager] John Ebbrell and I talk about the shape of the team without the ball so much in training and in games.

“Sometimes the players don’t get punished in Under-23 level. With our experience, we know at the top level you will get punished.

“When we opened the game up, we got done when our players weren’t in the right positions. We’ll show them that and keep banging that drum.”

-------------

Fleetwood Town head coach Joey Barton spoke after his side’s 4-0 win over Everton U21s at Goodison Park on Tuesday night.

On the game and the result

“It was a great performance. I thought in the first half we were guilty of playing at their tempo at times and not at our own and that’s what I spoke about at half-time.

“I wanted the players to lift it to see if Everton could compete with us and the score line shows that it wasn’t possible for them.

“For Everton, tonight will be a great learning experience and that is what the competition is for, and on the flip side for us, we are in it and with the strong squad we have this season.

“It allows us to use it as an opportunity to players who haven’t played much in the league campaign some minute. Six changes we made before and players also came on with Kyle Dempsey and Paddy Madden, and those two gave real impetus to our performance.

“We looked a threat when the ball was in transition and looked like we would score on every attack and in the last twenty minutes, it was good to see the hard work we’ve put in pay off.”

On the second half and the quality in front of goal…

“In the first half the lads were half a yard away from where we needed them to be. We adjusted that and in the second half, the lads put on a performance and deservedly progress into the next round.

“Players in the front line have got themselves on the scoresheet and with Wes, he has another goal to his name which will without a doubt help his confidence.

“With Paddy, he can’t stop scoring at the minute and with 14 goals to his name already this season, it’s great season and a challenge for others to catch him up.

“Paddy scores goals when he comes off the bench and when he starts and probably a frustration for him and myself is that he is a huge impact when coming off the bench, especially in the last 30 minutes and we’ve challenged him about his overall game, and he is really working hard and that is credit to him.

“With Danny’s goal, it was meant to be worked on the other side of the pitch for him to try and get his first of the season, but it was worked well to Danny who showed his quality.”

On the clean sheet….

“I am delighted for the clean sheet. Jimmy Dunne and Peter Clarke were outstanding against Oumar Niasse, who I have seen play and ruff up Premier League centre-halves and cause them problems.

“Jimmy is a young defender who is learning his trade, and Clarkey is very experience and like me, an Evertonian and it was great to come here and win, but it would be nice to come here in the FA Cup Third Round.”

--------------------------

Fleetwood Town midfielder Paul Coutts spoke to the media after scoring his first goal for the club in Town’s 4-0 win over Everton U21s.

On the performance…

“I think the second-half was good. We were a little bit slow starting in the first-half, but we got a quick goal and that obviously settled us down but we soon fell into playing at their tempo.

“The gaffer (Joey Barton) got into us at half-time, and in the second-half we were much better. I think we needed to play at our tempo rather than at theirs, and we just needed to raise it, and when we did, our quality shone through.”

On scoring his first goal for the club…

“I’m delighted! I am not delighted with the gif I have just seen, it’s one I’ve just been reminded of. I honestly didn’t think I would actually score, however it’s nice to get a goal and my first one for the club.”

On playing at Goodison Park…

“It would’ve been nicer if it was full, but it was good to play here. It’s the first time I’ve ever played at Goodison Park and it’s a great pitch, a great surface to play on.

“These games are difficult. They (Everton) are in a no-lose situation; whereas we are in a situation where you are expected to go and beat them, and they’re your typical academy side that play with freedom and no expectation on them – they just try to play good football.

“All the pressure was on us to go and beat them, and thankfully we went on to do that.”

.....good to see Peter Clarke still playing, I’m sure many of us remember his days in our Academy. I recall him playing for England U21s at Goodison against a Portugal team that included Ronaldo, indeed I think Joey Barton also played in that game.

it is a major challenge for our youngsters playing open-age football against senior professionals, I think there’s an argument to bring back the old Central League format.

And that's why you so rarely see young players stepping up into the 1st team even if they're tearing it up at U23 level. The jump to senior football is massive and it's amazing how many can't see it.

A U23 side will often struggle against a well drilled Conference North/South side let alone a playoff level League 1 side.
So how come other teams can manage it, look at Chelsea, Liverpool, united, Newcastle and the rest

So how come other teams can manage it, look at Chelsea, Liverpool, united, Newcastle and the rest
Probably because ours aren’t very good mate. Most of Chelsea’s have been highly rated and sent on loan from a young age in the leagues for half a decade so have developed, United have always had a good academy and people like TAA are so good that within a season or two they're one of the best in their position in the world. Newcastle aren’t challenging for anything so can afford to put kids in.

Ours likely don’t have that big of a ceiling. The only one of ours who might have a slim chance of stepping up is Gordon, the rest will go their separate ways.

They can manage it but they rarely manage it. Look at any number of youth tournament winning teams and very few of the cream of their generation end up progressing smoothly from their clubs academy into the same clubs first team. Some go elsewhere and have varying success but a huge number drift off into anonymity.

Of the teams you mention Chelsea are the odd one's out who have had their hand forced this season and before the transfer ban were fairly notorious for stockpiling young players and pretty much stunting their development. Of that still very small percentage that have come through they benefit from several of them being well seasoned in senior football. A few of these "youngsters" are in their twenties with 2,3 or 4 seasons out on loan behind them and I can't think of one who's come from U23 football into the first team....I could be wrong, off the top of my head.

Man Utd have done it years ago but recent players put into the 1st team have either been a manager demonstrating to the board about a lack of options such as Mourinho playing McTominay at centre-half or in the case of Solskjaers reign players put in who wouldn't be getting a sniff if they were seriously challenging for the title.

Liverpool have TAA but aside from that? Plenty going out on loan or getting sold but making the leap to 1st team....I'm struggling to think of many.

Newcastle have the Longstaff brothers but I think that's it (I could very well be wrong). One has burst onto the scene by scoring against a poor Man Utd side and the other has several rumours knocking about that he won't get a new contract as he isn't coming along enough. Not too sure on Newcastles squad though so I'm very open to being corrected.

As an aside one of Newcastle's outstanding youth prospects ended up in our academy. Lewis Gibson.

The more likely path for our youngsters is going elsewhere, spending a few years developing, and then popping up on the radar again a few years later when they've developed - John Lundstram is having a belting season at Sheff Utd and I imagine we may well see the likes of Ryan Ledson in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.